|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> front end teardown part 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hey there

Pendergrass, GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/10 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lance88lover,

You can get the boric acid as roach powder at "Dollar Tree" stores for a dollar a bottle.

Kurt

2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CC LB 6.0
1993 Lance Squire Lite 150 (8'6")
2001 Fleetwood Caribou 11J (11'6")

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/10 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home-Brew Water Solution of Borates:
Based on U.S. Navy specs, a ration of 60% borax and 40% boric acid gives the maximum solubility of borates in water. A mixture of 65% water, 20% borax and 15% boric acid (by weight) will yield a solution containing 15.8% borates. Borax costs $.54/lb in a U.S. supermarket, boric acid costs about $4./lb in U.S. drug stores, but boric acid roach poison, about 99% boric acid is cheaper in discount stores. To make this solution, mix required quantities and heat until dissolved. Boric acid in particular, dissolves slowly. A stable solution (no crystals) can be stored overnight in a refrigerator and costs a small fraction of Tim-Bor and Ship-Bor.
Water weighs
8.345 per Gal

borax 1.669 lbs 20%
Boric acid 1.25175 lbs 15%
water 5.42425 lbs 65%
so converting lbs back to oz of water would be 83 oz of water.

Keeping the same ratio 1 lb of borax would be mixed with 3/4 lb of boric acid and (3.25 lb)50 oz of water. Since there is 128 oz in a gal. 50 oz would be about 40% of a milk bottle of water. This should be enough solution to do the job.

1 lb borax 20% { 57% (60%)}
0.75 lb Boric Acid 15% {43% (40%) }
3.25 lb water 65%
5 lb total 100% {100%}

3.25 Lbs of water is 50 oz.

I hope my calculations are correct for this home brew

* This post was last edited 04/05/10 06:58am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/10 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

{I have found more rot that I have had to cut out and also have to correct some mistakes on the frame work.
The mistake I made was since I did not have the blue print of the bottom nose frame that the width would be the same as the top half 93" that I did have the Blue print for(Lance could not find one) . I was wrong. The bottom frame is 91 1/4 inches wide so I will have to shave 7/8 off each end and add reinforcement 1x2 to the inside of edge of the shaved ends. I am glad that I have both a saber saw and an electric planer [emoticon].
I have also had to cut both the floor and the bottom sidewall frame back further than I had expected. Since the floor is 3/4" covered top and bottom with 1/8 Luann the way it will mate to the sidewall frame is 7/8 " along the bottom edge of the 2.5" sidewall. That meant for access I that means that 1 5/16" of interior sidewall had to be cut and exposed. The floor repair is easily hidden as it is covered with carpet but to hide the sidewall cut I will have to get some fancy trim molding from Lowes, stain it and apply.
Materials: in Florida 1/8 Luann is special order only from Lowes and nonexistent at HD. I found that Lowes does carry Doorskins in their Door dept which are 1/8" so that will work.

Since the rot was so extensive, I have decided to spray all new and old wood with "Timbor" during the reconstruction. Timbor does not require cooking and can be applied with a pump up sprayer but once mixed with water must be used immediately.

* This post was edited 04/07/10 10:02am by an administrator/moderator *

NETim

Where the West Begins

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/10 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1130's for sale for the same reason. It's a money pit.

Dodge 3500
Lance 1130

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not posted for a while with pictures but now that the
rebuild is finished, wanted to complete the thread and show how
the nightmare of the rebuild came out.
I made some mistakes along the way which I had to backtrack and
redo so would welcome anyone doing this type of job to contact me and I can
give them some pointers. At 76 I was not sure that I would be successful but
god blessed me with enough strength to do the rebuild. The $95.00 Home Depot
scaffolding was a big help. Here is a list of tools used in the rebuild:
1. Rockwell Sonicrafter w/plunge and scraper blades
2. Sawsall
3. Machette
4. Skill saw
5. Dewalt Saber saw
6. Table saw w/rip and cross cut blades
7. Chop saw w/cross cut and metal cutting blades
8. Trim (laminate) router w/ ball bearing laminate blades and 1/4 straight blades
9. 18V cordless drill
10. Air compressor
11. Bostich 1" 438-s2 stapler
12. Bostich 650 s5 7/16" stapler
13. Porter 1/4" crown stapler
14. Pipe clamps, wood jaw clamps, strap clamps
15. Misc screw Drivers, hammers, files, chisels,wire crimper, plastic
scrapers
16. Precision doweling Jig
17. Electric planer
18. Dewalt angle Grinder
19. Palm Air nailer

The materials used consisted of 6 tubes of Dicor self leveling, 2 tubes of Geocel 2350 MHRV White,
one tube Geocel 2300 MHRV clear, 2 tubes Proflex white, 1 roll Eternabond, 2 quarts Rot Doctor CEPS,
one LB Timbor, 3 cans of 3M Pro adhesive, 2 tubes Stabond, 1 Gal Franklin FRP latex adhesive, 2 sheets
1/8 luann, 2 sheets 1/8 door skin, 1 stick molding , 2 sticks 1/4" dowels, 2 rolls white butyl tape, 2 rolls putty tape, 2 Gal Naptha, 1 Gal lacquer thinner,box gloves, 2 bags rags from Lowes, one stick plastic snap molding
5 running ft Filon, 150 SS white screws, 1 box ea of 3" and 2.5" deck screws, one quart Marine grade epoxy from West marine and 205 slow hardner,
fiber glass cloth, One gal bondo (to repair where horse stepped on nose steel that I foolishly
left on ground), LED clearance lights, Misc stainless screws, washer head screws, wood glue, 3/4" leg staples.,
Matching fabric to reupholster headboard, one 4x8 sheet buddy board, one 4x8 sheet of white interior wall paneling,Frame material knot free pine (3)1x3, (11)1x2,one and one half sheets 3/4 ply, can white rustolium,2 rolls hook up wire,
2 packages crimp connectors, roof A/C gasket

I hope my misfortune will help others on the forum.
Happy camping!

Side window and Valance install. Note trim added at bottom of window(brown not the white stick)
to cover where I cut sidewall
to replace bottom sidewall frame.
[image]
Headboard and Valance install
[image]

Mattress installed, Bed roll in place and valance light on [emoticon]

[image]

Inside done..note mattress thick due to added memory foam and
extra thick memory pad
[image]
Sidewall and Window reinstalled.

[image]
Front fraimed out AND Insulated. Note wood frame added at top where Lance had a void. channels (black Proflex) daddoed in wood for wires (clearance lights and inside valance light)
[image]

The nose Filon goes on

[image]
[image]

Camper Front Graphics With LED clearance lights

[image]
[image]

* This post was last edited 09/01/10 04:42pm by 88lover *   View edit history

Jumbo Jet

Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic Job!

Patience is a virtue. Being old and slow is not, but you get what you get!

I hope all the conversations we had helped.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW - 2007 Lance 1055 - Torklift Tiedowns, Stableloads, Derringers, Pigtail - Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar - Rickson 19.5" wheels - Michelin XRV tires - Lance Cabover shocks, 2003 Keystone Laredo 29BH

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After all that work, I would design my own graphics and try to forget the name of the manufacturer.

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes but now I have a 2011 camper instead of a 2003 and did not have to take that much depreciation but a lot of sweat [emoticon]

fast.5

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI: I have followed along as you have done your repair, It may have taken you a while but the outcome is fantastic, I know from doing my own repairs that you must have some patients to do what you have done with the final job being great. you should be proud...
Mike

2004 FORD F350 Supercrew 4x4 V10 Airlift incab controls 42" titan extension.
2007 LANCE 1131 Loaded, Air,Dicor,all weather packages Awning&Slide awning,2500lp Onan camp power,back up camera,dish
Fast.5 Reno Page http://community.webshots.com/user/fast5

explorer0863

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic job! Amazing how much you have accomplished in the last 2 weeks. Congratulations!

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins Diesel H.O. Engine, 6 Spd
2004 Lance 1161, Generac 3.5 LPG Generator
1994 Range Rover Classic LWB
Proud vet of Operations Desert Storm, Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom - USAF Security Forces

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> front end teardown part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS