|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> RV's Hijacked near Ciudad Victoria

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
keelhauler1

Cleveland, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/10 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that it sounds like a troll to me. I tried to check it out also.

It was sent to a RV'r that I met in the Yucatan from Quebec. I wrote him back asking the same questions, before I posted. The original quote was from his first e-mail. Here is what he replied to me.

Theodor Breiler wrote:

Hi John,This is very sad but true,Marty and Rick are very good friends of ours, on there way back to canada entering the US into texas.I hope it is an isolated case but we don't know,ps spread it around all RVers should know about ,cheers

John

All my Mexico Trips
-------------------------------------------

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/10 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too agree that this sounds like a hoax. I would never post this type of gibberish without some fact finding.

Moisheh

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/10 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish the forum had a rule that such stories had to include a link to a credible news source - I may impose such a rule. I can find no mention of "Jack Vanderby" in any news source available to me.

Discuss the issues, but don't criticize the other posters in the thread - some posts have already been deleted for that.

Tom

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I agree that "not a joke" and "send this to all" or "varified on snoops" are almost ALWAYS signs of a hoax, lie or spoof, this WOULD be consistent with reports from US officials on traveling in Mexico. Any one traveling through ANY war zone should think carefully before doing so and there is little that Mexico could be call OTHER than a war zone right now.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/10 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Op should never have posted that story. Being that there no press reports to back up the story it is false. The media would have jumped on a story such as this. I spent an hour searching and found nothing. However you would be amazed at the reports of actual robberies and violence against tourists ( yes Rv'rs are just tourists) that google displays. The following is one that we all missed and is current. This was reported by CBC early March 2010.

"Manitoba couple was held at gunpoint and robbed while on a trip to Mexico and is now cautioning travelers to be aware of the dangers.

Paul and Tia Carey were on a horseback riding tour last week with about 24 other tourists near Puerto Vallarta when two armed men confronted the group.

One of the robbers was armed with a machine gun while the other had a knife, Paul Carey said.

'When you are in Mexico, you get no help. You are on your own.'—Paul Carey
The two men stole cash, digital cameras and jewelry from the group.

No one was hurt in the incident and no one in charge seemed to care — not the authorities or tour operator, Carey said.

"This can happen everywhere, it's very true, but when you call for help — when you call for emergency services with police — you get that help, but when you are in Mexico, you get no help," he said. "You are on your own."

Carey said the experience is a warning for travelers who need to be vigilant, even when feeling secure in large groups or part of organized tours.

A good plan is to keep a sum of "mug money" on hand to give up if confronted by robbers, Carey suggested.

"Don't go empty-handed. Don't make yourself a target … and yes, you do have to look over your shoulder, unfortunately."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2010/03/02/mb-couple-robbed-mexico-manitoba.html#ixzz0jTz2jH17

Note that there were 24 people and from the story it seems that most were robbed. So much for safety in numbers.

Moisheh

John / Angela

World Travelers.

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/10 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No joy googling in spanish with hijack, kidnap, robbery, gun men, etc etc etc. Anybody else have any luck??

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

geewiz

Canada & Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/10 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi again John,
Do I have this chain right?
This "happened" to Jack Vanderby (and Michelle, Dave & Joyce), who relayed it to Marty and Rick who relayed it to their friend, Theodor Breiler who had emailed “John” (from Quebec) who passed it on to you? And then you to the forum and all of us.
???

Glen & Susan
http://palapalife.blogspot.com/

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/10 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what difference it will make if its true or not. If it's true, then I'm sorry to hear about an rv'ers bad experience in Mexico. if its not true, It's just one more "story" someone made up and you can choose to put whatever spin you want on it.

Don't know what other people use to gauge their level of fear or caution in doing something.
Either way, it has little impact on whether or not I will travel to Mexico.

slowlyiturn

niagara falls

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/10 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

true story
check my post
3rd trip to mexico and many people know us or at least my crazy dog

2 retired canadians

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/10 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The is one sure fact in this post where the poster says "THIS IS NOT A JOKE" That is very true, jokes are funny this is a HOAX, not funny.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> RV's Hijacked near Ciudad Victoria
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.