|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report, Florida Keys and more. With Pictures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heres a trip report for those who cant wait for hot weather. Its from last July (2009) and the destination was the Florida Keys. I know its late , but I just got around to figuring out posting pictures, and I’ve been practicing. Hopefully I got it right. Here goes….

The plan was for the wife and me to leave our home in Long Island NY on June 25 , drive down I95 with a side trip through North Carolina’s Outer Baanks and continue to the Keys. We would stay for a week or so at Bahia Honda SP then a private campground on July 3rd and 4th, then I would take the wife to Ft Lauderdale Airport and she’de fly back. My 15 year old daughter would fly down the same day and dad and daughter would stay a few weeks in the Keys and try to return with a side trip to the Blue Ridge Mountain Pky. That was the plan anyway. Heres what happened.

We left , later than planned at 11pm 6-25 , Thursday. Destination, a campground on Okracoke Island, on the southend of NC’s Outerbanks. We made Kitty Hawk , northern end of OBX around 1pm Friday. The Outerbanks is a series of barrier islands connected by bridges and ferries. We were on the Cape Hatteras ferry, which is a 45 minute ride and free at 315pm

[image]

And pulled into Teeters Campground in Okracoke after 5pm. We were bushed, we traveled 637 miles in 18 hours through some nasty rainstorms. Okracoke is a nice small village with plenty of good restaurants. We walked to one and had a good seafood meal. Got to sleep early as we had a 10:30 AM reservation on the ferry(paid this time) to Cedar Island which is connected to the mainland. We had time for a resturant breakfast and some exploring in Okracoke next morning before the ferry.

[image]

This was about a 2 hour ferry trip, reasonable cost , around 25 bucks. It let us off and we started a 4 hour ride back to I95. Theres lots of open wetlands

[image]

and other assorted vast areas of gas station deprived land, just the point in time that can be made more exciting by a Garmin GPS hiccup. That technological marvel had us going in circles, once even to a spot where the road went straight into a river. There was an small ferry that couldn’t handle our rig even if it was still working. We watched the fuel needle slide towards E till with 20 miles left we found fuel.

Back on I95 we pushed on to just outside Savanah Georgia where we spent the night hidden in plain sight in a RV supply parking lot

[image]

Next day we took a side trip to Sumpter Florida, northwest part of Florida. We were checking out some Jack Russell Shorty puppies at a small breeder. The breeder was also a horse breeder with a farm. She proudly showed off her 23 horses and the litter of puppies we were interested in. Since it was getting dark, Lisa the farm owner offered a spot in back of the barn with electric for the night

[image]

An early morning start to another side trip, to visit a friend in Stuart, outside Palm City on the East coast of Fl. At my friends suggestion we stayed in a Army Corps of Engineer campsite in St Lucie. We had a waterfront site. Very clean and well run. The Intercoastal Waterway is the water, the camp is also at a lock in the waterway system.

[image]

Now down to Bahia Honda SP. Its 35 miles north of Key West
Snorkling a plenty
Me

[image]

Sue

[image]

Plenty of wildlife, a large Heron

[image]

And we wernt the only TC. There were a couple of popups, a few small hardsides and this fellow. It looked like a big moulded plastic Igloo Cooler. I bet he doesn’t get any leaks.

[image]

And a wanna be TC

[image]

Then we went as far south as possible to Key West. We stayed in a private campground for 2 days , July 3 and 4. Key West is a party town with plenty of restaurants and bars and other touristy things. Every sunset street performers gather at Mallory Square and do their acts, the probably make a good living. A bit of everything is represented. Jugglers, tightrope walkers, majicians , fire eaters acrobats. We particularly enjoyed the Catman of Key West ( check him out on UTUBE he’s hilarious.

[image]

And a guy who does a Houdinish chain escape

[image]

We caught some great fireworks on the 4th.
Then on the 5th we headed up to John Pennekamp SP. This includes the first underwater state park, a big chunk of Florida tropical reef. I dive but Sue is uncomfortable in water away from shore, so we took a glass bottom boat ride instead of a dive or snorkel tour.

[image]

Next day we drove up to Fort Lauderdale Airport and Sue flew home. My 15 year old daughter Samantha flew down the same day from NY for the beginning of her first Florida trip. The best part? I got to stay on both parts with both the ladies J
I’ll post a Part 2 with Sams adventure if this post works out.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, you got it right. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

southernkilowatt

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to be a TC'r so bad lol. You guys have all the fun!

fotosleo

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue looks like she's ready to slap you upside the head with a tarpon! [emoticon]

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Waitin' for #2!!!

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

MichaelLaura

Little falls, N.J.

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is the only reasoni regret bying a tt, and being a seasonal camper. no great trips like this. thank you for that

Michael * Laura
* Katelynn *
Little Falls N.J
2007 Emerald Bay 29 TREB by Gulfstream
2005 Chevy 2500

"It't not about where you've been, it's about where you're going!"

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/10 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post, thanks for figuring it out [emoticon]

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/10 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very good report for your first attempt.

We did the Outer Banks S-N. I wanted to stop in the last town before the marsh since it was dark, but the wife was uncomfortable just finding a parking space, so we pushed on through the marsh flats in the dark til we made the ferry line where we parked for the night.. Thanks for the picture since I only had a vague idea of what I was driving through for miles and miles.

GPS are great, but you do need to pay attention to where you are going or you will end up lost. [emoticon]

Looking forward to part 2.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i enjoyed your trip... it has been many years since we were on the outer banks or at key west.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/10 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What was the brand name on that hard side TC you saw? The cab over looks a little low.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report, Florida Keys and more. With Pictures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.