|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter Trip Report: Whazoo finds Woop Woop, finally

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it too soon? I think it's too soon but I'll know soon enough. For another Whazoo trip report I mean.

We have spring camping fever here in Arizona, Mrs. Whazoo, Bear and I. Doctor's orders, "go camping Whazoo, go camping." So we headed east. Now don't ask me why we went east. Horace Greeley never said "go east young man, go east." And I'm not drawn east by some inner magnet. Usually we head north or west, but east we went.

First heading for some rock hounding of fire agates, which we found so very little of. Not even enough to warrant a picture. In fact not many pictures were taken at all of this underwhelming scenery. I am jaded though, having seen some of the best in the west. Here are just a few pictures of "the east".

The poppies are scattered everywhere, making me think of Mary. Yes, Mary Poppins poppies are poppin. Say it fast 10 times (without reading it), I can't.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

While walking around in "the east" we find ourselves in a "grave" situation that made me start coffin. So I took cough drops. (Huh?) As we can't quite make out the marker, I give this lonesome soul my own epitaph. "Here in the ground lies Lester Moore, shot in the back with a 44. No Les no Moore."
[image]

We spent the night in an area of scattered abandoned trailers and red dirt hills which reminded us of "The Hills Have Eyes." And with an unsettled feeling, we left the "east".

On to the White Canyon area south of Superior, and a superior place it is...
[image]

Our first sighting of livestock gave us a laugh, and a feeling of sympathy, all at the same time. This is the udder most sympathetic situation you'll see dealing with jumping cholla. How is this little beeve going to get that thing off his nose?

[image]

Having herd the Whazoo Meat Co. is out looking for fresh beef, the other livestock have become masters of disguise.
[image]

The first night is quiet and peaceful, can this be Woop Woop? (See trip report from last summer) The definition of Woop Woop as told to me by my Australian friend Brad is any place out in the middle of nowhere with no one around. We're close.
[image]

The cliffs of White Canyon are visible from camp.
[image]

[image]

The trail starts off easy enough as we drive through the rarest of things, water in the desert.
[image]

Then things start closing in.
[image]

Soon enough we hit a gate and some rocks that have stopped some others. Telling the Whazoo he can't make it, we continue on, making it. Funny, folks are always telling us we can't make it with our camper. They don't know us and our WHAZN8R.
[image]

Now we're rolling...
[image]

[image]

And sure as my name is Whazoo, it is spring in the desert!
[image]

[image]

Folks should know, gates without "keep out" signs on them are subject to being open, just as long as being closed again after entry. Don't tell anyone though.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

We usually bring Rocky Road ice cream. This time no ice cream, just the Rocky Road.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The road is visible in the distance, and as usual, looks smooth. Don't they always?
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

"Yeah Mom, I found this girl out in the hills. Can I keep her? She likes to camp and hike and make breakfast in a camper!"
[image]

Next stop for the night is perfect! This is Woop Woop Whazoo!!
[image]

[image]

Isn't she a butte?
[image]

Now when I go to sell my camper, and buy my second Outfitter, I hope you all won't let on. The ad will read,"For sale, gently used Outfitter. Never off road, comes with a view."
[image]

[image]

The prickly and the pretty.
[image]

During a walk-about we discover the tallest standing saguaro skeleton I've ever seen. His once mighty arms dangling at his side.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Once again, Bear is about bushed. Mrs. Whazoo too.
[image]

[image]

I had to axe my wife if she liked my bloomers. (bloomers, get it? Flowers, pants? You folks are tuff on me today.) I wear them to blend in with the desert flowers. Kind of like the elephant wearing red tennis shoes to blend in with the strawberries.
[image]

[image]

This is Woop Woop to Bear also. Not a sound to hear but birds, bees, and at night, crickets. Jimmeny!
[image]

Looking like green velvet with all the desert grasses.
[image]

Bushwhacking to a cave seen from camp, poor Mrs. Whazoo. I can't count all the times this girl has been on hillsides and cliffs with me.
[image]

Yes, I see the camper. You have a point there Mrs. Whazoo.
[image]

Truly, one of the most magnificent saguaros I've ever seen, at over 30 feet with the most and largest of arms. Surely between 2 and 3 hundred years old.
[image]

The cave wasn't much other than good exercise, and now we're heading down. Make that sitting down.
[image]

[image]

Gastronomical bypass, saguaro style. And still alive and well.
[image]

[image]

It's looking like a crowd has gathered to watch us.
[image]

[image]

Up close and personal with a cholla, I'm thinking of "The Day of the Triffids" as they try to get in the truck!
[image]

[image]

It's been mentioned to give kudos to the photographer in reports of the past. But I think he'd prefer bacon.
[image]

Check out the tread on my new BFG KM2's! Now those dudes would make for some serious Huaraches!
[image]

Heading back out from Woop Woop to civilization, we aren't ready to leave yet. Although you may be with all the bouncing around you've done. 4wheeling with a camper is extremely slow, have I said that beefore?
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

My new hobby is buffing. Yes, buffing desert pin stripes. But there is always a price to pay and well worth it.
[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

The End...
[image]

Thanks for reading,
Dave Rogers

Post Script: As usual, some told us we couldn't make it passed the first gate. A guy just has
to try. As you can kind of see in the last picture, there are some full size rigs sitting there.
These folks are walking the creek as we drive by and the look of astonishment is more than worth the scratches on "the rig". And as also mentioned, I will be hanging with the Outfitter Men at the Overland Expo the middle of April. I certainly hope to see you there!!
Happy Camping...

* This post was edited 04/03/10 01:13pm by whazoo *

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man alive!

Whaz, I don't even know where to start!

Love those pants; Bear had a new profession [emoticon]; the landscapes are extraordinary!; you found some of the most interesting saguaro we've ever seen!; that "out East" is truly out of this world !!!

Our hats go off to you yet again !!!!!

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/10 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a great report, I will say you have a great adventures spirit. My wife would never go on those roads, never. Thanks for the pictures and the comedy, I get it and keep up the good work.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

BENT ARROW

CO.

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The people who say you can't do this road, well when it came to that 1 angle on the side of the hill I would have believed them and backed down.
Great pictures!!

Bent Arrow
99 PACE ARROW 35'
Chevy 4x4
4 Wheel Pop-Up
S10 Blazer ZR-2
ATVs
Red Polaris 500HO
Yellow Polaris 500HO
Orange Polaris 850XP LE

HotelOne

West Slope, Central Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the kids might say - "Props to your mad Photoshop skilz. Whazoo"!

2001 Dodge Crew Cab 2500 4X4
2006 Lance 8SCS (845)

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Superb pics, brings back many memories. Thanks!

Hey Whazoo and silversand, haven't you been reading the rv.net forum posts? The Ford and Dodge "dudes" say you can't possibly do what you and so many other GM IFS (Independent Front Suspension) camper haulin people and I have done and repeatedly as your pictures have given us the proof. It's done all over our state (including the steep mountain sides in the U.P. as well year around. Yes, in the snow also! Who needs a road or bridges anyway. It's just one of those modern day conviences. We sure don't need them and never did and "walla", never had any front suspension repairs required even after well over a hundred thousand miles of camper hauling and rough off-roading on any of our many GM's 4X4s. So much for their un-imformed posts of talking BS. Jealousy is not a attribute...

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love your posts, keep them coming.

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/10 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whazoo, you ask if it's too soon for another trip report?? Surely you jest, my friend!! It's never too soon for pics like that. Always look forward to seeing Whazoo in the new items section. Just absolutely fantastic...Thanks again.

2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/10 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow -- that is or clean truck and camper! (or was, at least)
Great 'work', Sir.

Cal

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Whazoo, nice pictures, and a real adventure ! Thanks for sharing ! The members of French Forum are waiting your trips !!!

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Outfitter Trip Report: Whazoo finds Woop Woop, finally
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.