|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our Good Friday Adventure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We decided to check out the latest repairs discussed on this thread:

Fighting TC Demons Thread

When the camper functioned after two days around town, we decided to head to Great Smokey Mountains, Elkmont Campground, Good Friday for final checkout.

After a relatively late start we got to Chattanooga on I75 when I noticed a strange vapor cloud from rear mirror. Figured by mirror or glasses were dirty. Then some guy pulls up and starts pointing to front of truck. Then I noticed diesel fuel gauge dropping rapidly. The traffic was horrible so I decided to try to make Cleveland, TN but my low diesel light came on with about 5 miles to the next exit (the one to Cherokee NF) but i made it. I shut off the truck at an EXXON and noticed fuel streaming from under the truck!!

Truck would not restart so wife and I called Dodge Dealer and started looking for a tow. The dealer was only 3.6 miles away (great luck!!), but we had to call three companies before we got one with a large enough truck to handle us. This was about 3:00pm Good Friday.

About 3:30 this guy showed up at the EXXON

[image]

We had talked to the service department at : Kile Dodge, Cleveland, Tn and they said they would be ready.

About 4:15pm we got to the dealership in the tow truck and the driver backed my combo up so I could unload the camper in the lot. Then he towed it inside and they got it on the rack.

I expected the worst, but at 5:10 the service manager walked into the customer waiting area and said the #4 injector had lost its seal and they had the part in stock and would have us out about 10 minutes before they locked the gate. Walked out where we had unloaded and the truck was lined up for re-load!

[image]

We loaded and continued on and made it after dark to the Cades Cove campground (only after finding out Elkmont was considered full by Park Service w/about 75 % of sites closed !!)

I spent the better part of the next morning cleaning black diesel fuel from the rear and side overhangs of the camper ..

[image]

It was a long day. The folks at KILE were tremendous!
[image]

OH!! THE REPAIRED SLIDE WORKED FLAWLESSLY !

* This post was edited 04/04/10 07:43pm by MrPhelps *

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm happy that things worked out... good timing. An hour later you might still be waiting for Monday repairs.

How was the rest of the trip?

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

I'm happy that things worked out... good timing. An hour later you might still be waiting for Monday repairs.

How was the rest of the trip?

I was already planning to spend the night in the dealer lot Friday and my wife was worried about our 18 year old son driving to pick us up in her new 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8!

The rest of the trip was great! We were worn out from the long Friday (we were on the road about 10 hours) so after spending Saturday morning cleaning the diesel grime off of the rear of the camper, I realized I had some cleaner wax and waxed the rear areas. I used almost an entire roll of paper towels for the first cleaning.

Afterward, my wife had packed some lobster tails ( and a bottle of wine) to celebrate only if the camper was fixed. We charcoal grilled lobster tails and scallops for a feast Saturday afternoon. We had planned to hike some (we have the 1973 version of the "Hikers Guide to the Smokies" when we lived in West Knoxville from 1977-1981) but just walked around the campground and relaxed and then left this morning about 10 am. Weather was wonderful. Our final camper test was unloading at home.. NO PROBLEMS... It was wonderful to be back in action after such a long layoff.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to Frozen Head state Park, The Obed Wild and scenic River, and Muddy Pond... the weather was great... 84 degrees. Janet managed 5 miles hiking...

No problems... just tired.

Sleepy

MuddyPaws1

A State

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you guys made it where you were going. Break downs suck.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad things ended well.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/10 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good pics..I like the good ole boys from Dodge...they pulled it off again..and I bet they feel good too, that they got you on the way to a nice weekend adventure. You guys are having 84 and we are having 45 and 45 knots winds..GHeeezzzz!!! Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great the way it worked out for you, the good following the bad. It didn't stop you at all, just slowed you down a little.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/10 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the face of all those slide repair issues and then truck trouble, you got out there and had fun! I like that [emoticon]

Hang in there [emoticon], it'll only get better I think!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Our Good Friday Adventure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.