|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lake Billy Chinook Trip Report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Scott_PDX

Portland oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/10 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally got the camper out for some Spring Camping. Went fishing over to Lake Billy Chinook lake in Central Oregon. The outing was organzied via the local fishing board, ifish.net. Here's the story along with some pictures.

Wednesday
With the impending "storm", my dad Jim, and I decided to do a quick pack job and try to beat the weather. He left Newberg around 5pm, and I got on the road out of SW Portland around 10PM, this put me into Camp Perry around 2:30am!!! First time pulling the boat and camper via my homemade stinger, and was actually great, as there's not much traffic at that time. Not being to LBC before though, made for some interesting driving across bridges and up and down hills once at the lake. Once I got to camp, as soon as I saw Jim's Chalet camper, I took the first site and crashed. Bummed that I left the fridge on 12V and found my battery in the camper nearly daed. At least I brought the 0 degree sleeping bag.

Thursday
Woke to snow showers, and a beautiful campground. But it was very windy, ran into some other ifish campers, who pointed us to a great place to camp - right in front of the closed bathrooms. We decided to take the whole area over. After setting up camp went out in the evening for a little trolling, only caught one Kokanee - and somehow managed to shoot it out of the boat while spraying the scales off! Need to keep them on the stringer next time. Oh well, hot dogs for dinner I guess.

Friday
Beautiful day. Trolled again most of the day with not much better luck. Think we only managed 1 Kokanee, for about 12 hours on the lake. Tried trolling for Bull Trout a bit with herring around the island, but no love for us. Met a few more i-fishers, but with the fishing slow, we tended to stay out on the lake too much. Need to try and have a pot-luck night, or happy-hour night next time to meet the others more. Did see a bunch of deer, wild horses, and bald eagles though...so there is that. Surprised to see so many Truck Campers pulling boats. Some with Superhitches, some with Tow Beasts and a number of just straight extensions. One guy had a Fleetwood Caribou just like mine, but a 1994 version.

Saturday
Pretty much a repeat of yesterday. Kept trying to pick up tips and share with others, but could only tell folks, what wasn't working, instead of what was. Decided to try jigging for Kokes in the evening session and finally had some luck. Manged to pull 1 limit out, but there was one Runt in that limit that I would have kindly thrown back, but he didn't survive the hooking. After getting back to camp, noticed that there were a number of campers that showed up while we were fishing, but as it was dark by that time, people seemed pretty much indoors by then.

Sunday
Tried some more jigging, but not as successful as the night before. Jim managed to pull in a couple, with the same jig but pro-cured/corn instead. But they weren't bitting enough to keep us jigging for more than a couple hours. Decided to try for Bulls once more, this time using some tips from camp, and although the plugs didn't work for us, using cut-plug herring sure did. Caught two within the first 10 minutes, one about 13" and one about 19". Not keepers, but really pleased we finally found some fish. Too bad that by that time I only had about an hour to go before I needed to pack up for home.

I'm sure most others caught more fish than us, but we explored a new lake and campground, towed my "new to me" camper with the boat successfully, got some sun on my face, met some nice folks, caught fish on 2 new techniques and one new species I've never caught before, so it was very successful trip for me and I look forward to doing it again next year.

Some pictures for you to enjoy:

Our campsite:
[image]

Camp all set-up
[image]

Docks at Perry South Campground
[image]

Lake Billy Chinook
[image]

Cool Geology at Billy Chinook
[image]

Bull Trout
[image]

Other Campers
[image]

[image]

[image]

Heading for Home
[image]

-= Scott

2001 F-350 Crew Cab: Air Rides, Bilsteins, MBRP
2017 Genesis Supreme 19ss Toy Hauler
Bunch of Motorcycles

fotosleo

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/10 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report!

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/10 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pictures and report Scott. Takes me back to when we lived in Bend. Round Butte as we called it because of the dam, was the favorite lake around. Nice to see pictures of it again!!

Dome

Southwest Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/10 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy I'm ready to hit the road. Thankfully I'm heading out the 23rd for Moab. Be there a week or so. I can hardly wait to start traveling. I did go to the Oregon coast a couple week ago. That helped the travel fever some but I'm really ready for the long trip to Moab and Cortez this year.
Thanks for your trip report, love the pictures and story.

luv2skyski

Stockbridge, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/10 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the cool report and pictures. Dave.

2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/10 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great fun!!!! Glad you and your dad can do that!!!!

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/10 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, I have to ask, what is the pot with the 2# propane bottle on the ladder in the 2nd picture?

Otherwise looks like a fun trip despite the cold and dead battery. Thanks for sharing.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Crumm

Fairbanks Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/10 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pictures of the lake sure does bring back childhood memories. I grew up riding motorcycles, water skiing, swimming and fishing around Lake Billy Chinook at the 3R rec area. I had forgot about Perry South but your picture of the landing and dock made me remember. Thanks for the report.

2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

Dome

Southwest Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/10 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kohldad, that thing cooks you hot dogs.

Scott_PDX

Portland oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/10 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dome wrote:

Kohldad, that thing cooks you hot dogs.

Yep! And steaks!

Actually, it's a Stainless Magma Marine Kettle Grill. I bought it for use on the boat. It hooks one the rails, but also hooks nicely onto the ladder on my Camper. It works pretty well, probably sees more use on land than water, and doesn't take up much space in either vehicle. Sure is nice to cook up some hot Brautworsts when I'm anchor fishing for salmon in the rain while out in the Columbia River.

-= Scott

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lake Billy Chinook Trip Report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.