|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Family Time - Hickory Knob SP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/10 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FAMILY TIME!!!!!!

With two teenage girls, one of whom I get to ship off to Clemson this fall, it’s not often our schedules work out during the school year for camping trips. But, with several days off for spring break, I convinced my wife and kids to make a quick two night trip near home. I promised the wife we would get home on Saturday so the girls would have time to study for tests they had on Monday and the girls so they would have time to ride their horses on Sunday.

To make the trip more enjoyable and justify the TC, I agreed to haul my utility trailer to carry the bikes and kayaks. We loaded up everything Wednesday night to be ready to leave out early in the morning. Family asked how early was "early" and I simply replied “late enough that you get your Chick-fil-A”. Kids caught on quickly that only meant as late as 6:30.

Turns out, I was very nice and let them sleep in til almost 8. First stop as promised.

[image]

On the trailer, I managed to squeeze three bikes, two kayaks, roller blades, extra leveling blocks, and about 6 pairs of shoes. To get the door to clear the tongue jack, I used my drop hitch which lowered the trailer tongue down. Second advantage is it made sure everything stayed forward in the trailer.

[image]

Our destination, at least I thought, was some place on the SC side of Strom Thurmond Lake (Clark Hill Lake for those familiar with the GA side). The usual road to take is Hwy 78, but I wanted something different so had planned on some slower more country roads. I’ve come up with a shorthand method of writing the directions down on a piece of paper, then cross the direction off as I execute it. Works out pretty well most of the time, but sometime takes you to unexpected places.

[image]

[image]

At first we just drove past this building, but all the flags raised my wife’s curiosity so we turned around to investigate. Turns out, it was the old Cope Station of the Manchester and Augusta RR, established in 1894. The flags were the last 12 versions of the American flag.

[image]

[image]

Remember those directions I use, I’m not sure I followed them correctly as I suddenly found myself only 9 miles from Denmark. Oh well, Denmark would have to wait as we were headed to Norway first.

[image]

As a treat for the horse crazed girls, my route took us through the horse mecca of SC, Aiken. The mild winter climates and atmosphere attract a lot of the expensive northerners who have way to much money.

[image]

[image]

Our first attempt at a campground was Bakers Creek SP. However, we were disappointed in finding the campground not much more than a spit of land with some pine trees for shade, no privacy between the sites, and not much there. I think I would have to rate it as the worst state park. So we moseyed around the corner to the only resort in the state park system, Hickory Knob. Found a nice spot in the lovely campground and setup for the weekend. Instead of fighting the small dinette, the girls pitched a tent to enjoy some actual elbow room at night.

[image]

Jessica, my youngest, is my biking partner. So while the others relax by taking a short nap before dinner, her and I go off to explore. Usually I carry a GPS, fanny sack with snacks, camera and my blood tester. This time, we didn’t grab anything though, because we were just going to ride to the end of the road, about 1/2 mile max. Welllllll, we get to the end of the road and we find the trail head for the Lake Loop bike trail. One way around the loop makes a 7 mile ride back to the campground, the other way is about 3/4 mile back to the campground. Up for a little adventure, we head onto the trail looking for the right fork which will take us quickly back to the campground. At 1 mile, see we can tell we are at 1 mile because the tag on the tree says “1 Mile”, I’m starting to think we missed the fork and am ready to turn back. But Jessica wants to go to the next marker. We did see some beautiful views of the lake, but alas, remember I didn’t grab anything, not even the camera. Finally, Jessica remembers her phone camera, so we did manage to grab a few pics.

[image]

[image]

[image]

After almost two hours, we were both dying of thirst, my sugar was getting low, and we had no idea of how far we had come. I recently switched to a pump, so I was able to suspend the basal to handle the sugar problem, but we had to tough it out on the thirst. Just about then, I told Jessica we could turn around because we finally found the next marker. I think there were several missing though as this marker said “6 Mile”. At least we knew we were getting close. Another 15 minutes and we were finally back at the campground and ready for dinner and relax.

We decided to head up to the restaurant for dinner, but was disappointed by the buffet so didn’t even sit down. Ended up going back to the campground for some hotdogs, topped off with a few games of cards and an early bed time.

Next morning, I was up early in time to get some nice shots as the sun was rising over the lake.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Okay sleepy heads, time to get up and get the day started.

[image]

We spent the entire day just hanging around the campground. We even managed to convince Linda to go on a short hike which was on the last part of the loop, you know, the 3/4 mile part. Turns out, there are two trail heads on opposite sides of the parking lot, not a fork as we thought the day before.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Followed up with some game time.

[image]

After a while, Jessica and I, despite our ordeal the first day, headed out for another bike ride. We went properly prepared and even caught site of some deer.

[image]

Finally time for a nice dinner, games and a fire.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Next morning, as we were packing up, the girls found a couple of scorpions under the tent. I keep forgetting we have them around here.

[image]

On the way home, we passed a TCer just after hitting the road towards McCormic. The only other TCer we saw all weekend.

[image]

To keep up the different look, we took some more of the unbeaten side roads most of the way home for some more interesting scenery.

[image]

[image]

Ooops, almost forgot, does anyone know how to get back to Charleston from Denmark? Told you it would have to wait.

[image]

* This post was edited 04/23/10 06:46am by kohldad *

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/10 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Denmark? Norway? Boy you sure know how to get around town there kohldad! Looks like a good time was had by all, and that's what it's all about. If I had taken a tent shot of my girls in the morning...I'd still be running. You brave guy!

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/10 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, my, I need to get out again, and it has only been 3 days [emoticon]

Terrific report, dad [emoticon]

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

marinemommy

Yerington, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/10 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures and a great time~! Thanks for sharing!

shirley kay

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/10 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Norway , Denmark !!! Your truck is amphibious !!! Across North Atlantic ocean WOW !

it seem that you had a good times ! Thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/10 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whazoo - the bravery comes from hauling the trailer 190 miles from home without a spare on tires that came off my 1976 LTD back in 1988 and they had to be 4 years old then. Who says you need to replace tires every 4 years?

DianaOK - it's been three weeks for me and I've got cabin fever too!

marinemommy & bigfootford - You welcome

weymard - quick too. Seems I missed Sweden and Finland nearby.

c.traveler2 - thanks for all your reports too. They helped me decide to take a chance on the 815. So far it's been near perfect for my needs.

silversand - You would think immigrants settling the area. But you got me thinking so I did some research and came up with a great article that explains not on the naming of these towns, but a lot of the towns in SC. Article on Town Names

TwoMaineiacs - yep, I sure do treasure them. Camping is the only time I truely set everything aside except the people with me. Why I love it so much.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/10 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without a doubt a TC is great for those weekend get aways, thanks for showing us your wonderful trip.[emoticon]

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/10 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great trip!!!!

Thanks,

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/10 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty special to be able to get two teenage girls to go camping with good old dad and mom. You'll treasure those times. Thanks for sharing.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/10 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Kohldad; looks like everyone had fun!

What is the history behind naming those towns the way they're named?

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Family Time - Hickory Knob SP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.