RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well, if no observer, maybe a rear-mount camera; check the TECH thread for many low cost approaches to getting that extra set of eyeballs into the formula.
If you'll be mostly campgrounding, I'd say still get those walkie talkies, they're cheap, and will help immeasurably in coordinating with a friendly neighbor you will doubtless frequently find.

My wife wasn't much interested in doing the 2-way radio bit, but found her ability to have me hear her even when she's 40 feet back and behind the rig made her a believer. Again, I really buy into wittmeba's (or whoever it was) ironclad rule of never backing without an observer, even if its a stranger.

Bob & Marty Howe Full-time Street People">
2002 Cougar 286efs 5er, 2000 F250SD 4x4/sc/sb/V-10, rhino-lined; Valley/Husky 16K slider; Jordan 2020 Ultima b/c; 2 Honda EU2000's; 4 T-105's; TM500A BatteryMonitor; rewiring for 50amp. Now with SUREflo Sensor 5.7 pump. Mobile internet via PCS Vision/Toshiba 2032pocketPC and/or N400

New Drainpipe Setup

Howe's HondaBox (final version)

Prototype (banana) HondaBox

Honda's Pricey Box

Banana vs Walmart Cord: My Polarity Concerns

DuckButt Fix for Bare Connector Concerns

Honda Sound Level Tests

DIY Shore Cable/Receptacle, 30A-50A Rewire

In the Works: Adding Tank Heaters & BellySkin

camping man

Central Fla.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BJ,you might take 27 south it shouldn`t be to bad
I live a little east of Sarasota,and take 27 most
of the time to go north.Be careful if you go on I-4 thats gets pretty crazy.I f you need help getting it home my wife and I are always up and down 27 and we would be glad to help just E-mail us.You will learn to handle it in time but it`s hard to be on the spot like when took my cdl lic.
the instructor must of took me down every back road he knew trying to get me to hit something.I was shaking the whole time.Good Luck!

texatDurango

Show Low, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi BJ......

The most important thing.... take the cover off first![emoticon]

You're gonna have a ball. Since I have over 100 miles towing experience, that now qualifies me to give advice too.[emoticon]

Mirrors... Mirrors...Mirrors, USE THEM! Probably the most unsettling thing that happened to me driving ours home in congested traffic was all the characters darting in and out beside and in front of you. Just make sure no one sneaks up on your right side before you start changing lanes and plan your exits a lot sooner than you normally do. You sure keep a low profile.... I can't believe that not many know that you are one of the babes on the forum!

HitDaRoad

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your trailer brake controller as soon as you get in the truck. When we picked up our first 5'er the service guys thought it would be funny to set the brakes to max so when I hit the brakes the trailer jerked as we were pulling through the parking lot. They were sitting their laughing the whole time. Looking back it was funny but at the time being a newbie I wasn't laughing. The first ride home is a bit nerve racking just take it slow and have fun.

camper guy

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BJM that is cool that your a woman. Chavunist Pig here assumed you were a man going to get your new toy! Good luck, being of the opposite sex you will probably do better. My wife is a much better driver than I am, she's more patient and conservative. You will be fine. Good luck.

2001 Sprinter 380BWS in a seasonal park.
Friend of Bills.....

Mike in NC

Moyock, NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you. I've seen lots of gals driving 18 wheelers. I know a petite gal who is a railroad engineer and I can attest that my wife is not intimidated by the trailer and handles it as well as I do. My bit of advice is to become very conscious of the braking ability of your rig. It's very easy to be lulled into following too closely in traffic, especially in city or freeway driving, and you need to be careful to not approach a stop light too fast. You will not be able to slow down as quickly and easily as in your car. You also won't want to risk spilling the contents of the trailer all over the place.

Mike in NC - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab, V-10, SB, Reese Kwik-Slide; 2002 Forest River Wildcat 27RL

RichB

Duluth, MN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on the brake controller advice. I just picked up my fiver from storage and got a reminder... gain was too low. It was only a long driveway but that instant sinking feeling hit me the same. NO brakes. Get the dealer to help you set up the controller before you take it out of the lot. Those first few miles will not be a time when you want to spend your time trying to tweak that controller in.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Rich

05 Chev 2500HD DMAX
1999 Nomad 2655SE

STICKMAN

Burnips, Michigan 49314

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first learning experience was an 8000 mile trip. I'm still learning. I75 in that area can be busy but there's no surprises EXCEPT for backed up traffic when there's an accident. My tips:
1. Prepare the rig for travel, inluding connecting the electric connection from the truck, but leave the landing legs down to test for a "false" hookup. Now, throw the emergency manual lever on the electric brake control and try to drive forward. If you are hooked up good, you won't be able to. If OK, raise the landing legs and proceed. AFTER THAT, DON'T WORRY ABOUT FEELING THAT PULLING WEIGHT OR THE JERKS AND BUMPS. ITS NORMAL.
2. Drive 55. Everything will pass you and that's OK. Even now, I don't drive over 60 -- it's too hard to stop.
3. Stay in the right lane. It's hard to learn how to get back into the right lane if you pull into the center or left lane. When there's merging traffic coming, just break a little and let them in ahead of you. Otherwise, "hold your ground" and they'll adjust to you.
4. If you have an exhaust break, leave in "on". It really helps you slow down in an emergency. Also, be ready at all times to throw the emergency lever on the break controller.
5. Watch your mirrors all the time. Be aware of what's going on around you.
6. Stop at rest stops and relax a little.
7. Watch the turns as all the others have advised you.
8. When stopping at camp grounds, ask for a pull thru site (no backing up).
9. For eating, fuel and restsrooms, etc., try to stop at larger truck stops or look for restaurants next to a Wal-Mart or some other place with a large parking lot. Park there and walk a little.
HAVING SAID ALL THAT, RELAX. YOU WON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE UNTIL YOU'RE EXPERIENCED, BUT I GUESS THAT'S OK.

Happy RV'ing. Stickman.

Jerryk

Silverton, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great topic!! Being a new comer to the 5th wheel scene, I think a lot of good information was shared. I even feel better now, sounds like the main things to remember are: mirrors, 55mph, lots of room and guide for backing up (with radio's).. Thanks BJ for the topic!!
Good luck on your maiden trip..

*This Message was edited on 17-May-02 09:06 PM by Jerryk*

kenrmoss

Laguna Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All really great info.

One thing I would add when backing in is to remember to look and see what the front of your truck is doing.

It is so easy to get completely involved with where the 5er is going that you can get your truck pointed in some pretty interesting directions. Watch out for those little things like picnic tables, concrete barricade poles, etc. They are low, you can't see them well and the front of the truck likes to find them when getting that perfect angle for the 5er[emoticon].

Ken

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.