RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bjm

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/02 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the informative replys. You have shared some great tips for pulling my baby home. I plan to stay at the dealer "campsite" Thurs and Friday and live in my new Montana and test everything out. (I've got my checklists) I will have elec and water but no sewer, but they are going to teach me to dump tanks before I leave, so that's cool.

They are also going to introduce my prodigy to my 5'r. Hope "they" don't try to get funny. They are also going to walk me through the hitching and unhitching process and let me take her for a little spin to get familar with the brakes et...Then I head out early Sat morning. Won't need to gas up for this distance with my diesel so just plan to pack a lunch and stop at the rest stops.

Camperman, thanks for the offer. 27 is a nice road it's just a little further east than I want to travel. I'm thinking I 75 won't be "too" crazy early Sat morning.

And the really GOOD NEWS is....Lazy Days called me yesterday and said they want to make up for last Thurs and offered me a "personal" class on Monday. So now I will have a least pulled a 5'r, backed a 5'r, and stopped a 5'r before I hitch up to mine.

I think the real challenge is going to be parking it in this little somewhat unlevel spot in my yard. My feeling is if I can park it here, I can park it anywhere. (Ha!) Plan to keep her here for 30 days, load her up with the necessities, call the Estate Sale people and tell 'em to "sell it all" and send me a check!

Then I'm off to my selected local RV Park to start my full-time RV life. [emoticon]

Life is good....

bj

nnielsen

Dallas, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/02 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not a member of Good Sam, join. They have some checklist samples in their May 2002 Highways magazine that are good. The one on page 38, "Disconnecting a Fifth Wheel" need correction. The second item onthe checklist is "Lower Rear Levelers". This probably should be done last, because you will have to raise the front landing gear to disconnect from the hitch. Having the rear levelers down could overload them and overstress the trailer. The second problem with this chacklist is they remove and disconnect the hitch lock before lowering the front landing legs. My preference is to always have the front landing legs down before removing the hitch lock and disconnecting the hitch lock.

Have a great time,

Nyles & Carol Nielsen
2010 Aliner Classic towed by really weak 100,000 mile Nissan Frontier 4-cyl.

cwsoules

Columbia, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/02 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still do not back well, and I have an assistant to wave her arms and help me back into a spot. Still I often stop, set the brake, and walk back to see how I'm doing. You certainly can do it alone and with practice it will become easier.

We are concerned with forgetting to do something important so we have check lists for arrival and departure. These lists are in three parts inside the trailer, outside the trailer, and the truck. Use of these lists have saved us on three separate occasions. Our lists require checking tire pressure daily twice in the past two months I have found first a low tire pressure on the 5er and then on the truck. Last year a check of the opporability of our trailer turnsignals, brake lights and night runing lights disclosed a failure in my trucks turn signal switch. I suggest you use lists developed for your rig. Send me an e-mail if you would like me to share ours with you. cwsoules@mindspring.com

USN RET. 2001 Diesel Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. Miller Mfg Truck Bed Cover, with RBW hitch, and a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with one slide

dremelts

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/02 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto the idea for the checklist. Cwsoules was good enough to email me their checklist and it is very thorough. I've modified it somewhat for our own application and printed out the individual lists so they can be inserted in plastic sleeves and kept in a 3-ring binder. Then, using a dry-erase marker, you can check off the items one-by-one and when you get to the next destination just wipe the marks off the plastic sleeve and continue to reuse the checklist.

Another thing is keeping a mileage log recording the beginning and ending truck odometer reading and corresponding locations along with dates, times and whatever else you want to track.

Regards,
Dave

98 Dodge 12V CTD QC White/Driftwood 2WD 5SP LongBox 4.10LS Cooper 265/75R16E Tabbed KDP PACBrake Jordan Ultima 2020 RBW Li'l Rocker 2002 Layton 237 1971 VW Beetle 1957 Panhead

lm17

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/02 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good post since i pick mine up this wednesday and yes it will be rush hour. I'm havng my brother take me so my wife can drive in the truck with me. I'm hoping she will keep me calm and be an extra set of eyes.

2016 Forest River Forester 2801QSF Class C

Rickt2

Apple Valley Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/02 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and i recently looked at the 24/29 Titanium and feel in love with it at first site. Can you tell us about your experience with your Titanium? All the good and bad if any to help us decide to purchase it or not.

armadillo

n ft myers, FL,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/02 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WRONG, those on the interstate have the right of way. Courtesy would dictate that they give room but it is up to the person accessing the hwy to adjust their speed in order to make a safe entry. Too many times I have not been able to move left (because of heavy traffic) or slow quickly enough when some fool has attempted to access the interstate.
Pay attention to the volume of traffic and the speed at which it is moving and adjust accordingly. That way all of us can feel safer.
Fred

'05' F350 PSD 4x4 DRW CC, Lariat luxury group,torqueshift 5-speed auto,13k GVWR/26k GCWR,Tow Boss Pkg (4.30 LS axle),Tow Command Sys (trlr brk control), adjustable brake and fuel pedals, Mag Hytek tranny and diff covers, EGT,tranny and diff temp gauges,98 gal crossbed Transfer Flow fuel tank and Mobile Suites 36CK3 5th whl w/TrailAir pin box and centerpoint susp.
RET USMC;NRA Lifetime endowment member

Mac1

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/02 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you must buy fuel while hookedup and its not a pullthru truck stop always try to get an ouside pump. You won't hit the curbs around the pumps then. And keep a roll of paper towels in the truck to hold the fuel nozzel with.

Jack in Alaska

Anchorage & Ninilchik, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/02 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a few miles you will be much more confident and soon will be sailing along having a good time. You have had a lot of good advice from above posts.
My advice.....don't follow too close to the vehicle in front of you and keep the shiney side up.
Happy Camping.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 CTD 325/610 Laramie DRW 4x4 6spd 3.73
Smarty Jr; HiJacker Hitch;TrailAir pinbox;Prodigy;PacBrake;
Access cover;DeeZee;LightForce road lites; Westach EGT/Boost

2012 Jayco Jay Flite 40FER Bungalow TT

Yamaha 3000 iSEB gen.

MNArt

Champlin, MN USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/02 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The comment about watching where the front of the truck is going is correct. I was backing up to hook up to a utility trailer, watching in my right mirror and turning to my right, the next thing I knew, I had a mailbox in my drivers door. Never saw it coming. $750.00 lesson.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.