RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Steve Johnson

Lakewood, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/02 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you end up with an attitude like yours? I'd be happy to give way to you, but I'll be d**ned if I want you pushing me out of your way.

Cheers, Steve J.

Steve Johnson

Lakewood, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/02 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bjm, anticipate & communicate. Use your signals and brake lights to let others know what you intend to do and if you're gonna be slowing down for traffic or whatever. That way if you mess up. . .they gotta chance to save their own butts. When you get up to speed and in traffic, notice when the whatever is in front of you passes a point, count off three seconds to yourself, if you passed that same point in less time than that you might wanna back off alittle. I constantly remind myself that the point is to get there. . .not get there first. And I don't necessarily want to get through life as fast as I can.

Cheers, Steve J.

phyxer

Altus, OK USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/02 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good info being passed out here I think! I am active duty USAF and fly the C-5 Galaxy cargo jet and we use checklist to do everything but go to the bathroom! I think they are great and have requested a copy of the afformentioned checklist on here so I can try and keep from messing up! Thanks again ya'll and good luck bjm!
I pick up my Travel Supreme and get to tow it for the first time on 6 Jan 03.........Can't hardly wait!!!!!!

Troy, Lesa & Gizmo (furkid)
1999 Travel Supreme 36 FK TSO with TrailAir Pinbox
1999 Volvo 610 with 400 HP 1450 Torque 10 Speed AutoShift
Retired USAF
"SIZE DOES MATTER"
Our Home Page

harrisg

Kalama, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/02 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this post is in regard your first backing challange. i'm going to assume that your truck is a 4x4 so i will offer this advice. on my 4x4 ford powerstroke diesel with a manual transmission, if i am in 2 wheel drive, i can still pull the lever inside the cab that says "4x4 low". since my manual hubs are in 2 wheel drive, the shift into "low" lets me back very very slowly and gives me more control and more time to react. this works for me with a manual tranny. you'll have to see if you can do the same thing with a ram auto. good luck and hope this helps when you take a big gulp and start your first backing job.

*This Message was edited on 18-Dec-02 08:37 PM by harrisg*

1997 Forest River Sierra 30rkss 5th wheel

2000 Ford F250 XLT,7.3 diesel 4x4, long bed, 158" wheel base, super cab, 6 speed manual transmission, 4wd manual hubs,
2004 Toyota Prius Hybrid WA License VOLTWGN

Crazy Daisy, The almost human Cockapoo

RVDoctor

AnyWhere,USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/02 04:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi BJ

Well I guess no one though to tell you that your rig won't STOP quite as fast as a Uhaul or a Gremlin (great little car,by the way). So I'll mention a few things that are VERY important.

If the other vehicle on the road is "bigger " than you GIVE THEM THE RIGHT OF WAY >>>> if the other vehicle on the road is "smaller" than you GIVE HIM THE RIGHT OF WAY !! Anyway

Just to clear up a misconception, if a vehicle is trying to merge from a on ramp to the freeway he actually has the right of way (in most states). If a LE Officer wants to get testy or you have a accident they definitely can write you a ticket and you can't beat it in court. Have you noticed how most "truckers",if they can "pull over to the left hand lane" when a vehicle is coming down the on ramp? Have you ever entered a freeway with a long rig and looked back and really had to strain your neck to see the freeway traffic? That's the main reason, so even if you have to slow down a bit, because you can't move left because of traffic, you're really not going to be that late getting to that great fishin' hole are you?

Now here comes a big concern >>> Setting up your trailer brakes >>>> since the dealer didn't show for the "Driver Confidence" course you probably didn't get much of a "walk thru on your new unit either. The Tech probably said "here's the fridge, here's the head, here's the stove, where's your check.

Setting up the trailer brakes to slow the trailer with your foot brake is important but MORE IMPORTANT is being able to INSTINCTIVLY find the slide bar on the brake controller with your hand if you have to make a panic stop or when slowing going down a steep hill. This takes a little practice and the correct location of the brake control. It must be comfortable to do in an emergency, if it's not have the dealer "relocate" the controller. The easiest way I have taught people to do this is to every once in a while actuate your trailer brakes with your hand until it's almost second nature. I can't tell you how many times a customer has said to me "Doug, I'm glad you showed me how to do that it saved us when this so and so pulled in front of us". You also need to be able to set your controls' sensitivity, you want it not to drag your wheels but you want it to lead your truck brakes a little. Practice, you'll get the hang of it !!

Nuf Said For Now

If I can be of any further help please Email me

Doug

Dually Diesel

Wisconsin. USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/02 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NH_Bob writes...With your setup, you should be able to act like a trucker on entrance ramps; just go for it and let the little guys get out of the way; most every trucker will pull over for you, the cars just gotta give way whether they like it or not, they've got the ability, you don't.
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!
Just my two cents worth............

F350XLT/CC/Dually/PSD/Auto/4X4/3.73/ Pulling a Sunnybrook 31BWFS Double Slide with all options

ebwhittaker

Arcadia, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/02 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Bj
Had to throw in my $.02 worth. When you are driving on non-interstate roads with stop lights mentally determine at what point you are beyond the stopping point. If the light changes don't spend time guessing or you might end up in the middle of the intersections - been there and done that [emoticon]
Also being by yourself you might consider a rear camera. We installed one on our fiver and found it very helpful, especially on roads to see if some person is tailgating you that you cannot see in the mirrors. It also is a great help in pulling into another lane on the interstate.

Most campgrounds have someone that can either back your rig up for you or help you do it yourself.

Finally, like everyone else said - take your time and the 'white knuckles' will give way to just crusin' along.

Enjoy your fulltiming

Ed
Andrea
Teddy (black Shih Tzu)
Nickie (Apple head Chihuahua)
2005 31' R-Vision Trail-Lite Class C
2005 Ford Escape

jayc

Dickinson Texas-when I'm not out camping

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/02 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the information that you have received here is correct and informative. Dually Diesel and others gave you the correct advice about merging onto the freeway. You DO NOT!! have the right of way, no matter how big you or your rig are!! The freeway traffic is already in an established lane of traffic, and you are entering their lane. Many will yield for you by either slowing down or changing lanes, but if they don't, beware.

Retired Police Officer
former trailer delivery driver

Jay

98 Mobile Scout 33FKS
98 GMC 2500 7.4L (454) gas motor
3.73 rear end

armadillo

n ft myers, FL,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/02 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A-men jayc. Every on ramp I have ever seen has a yield sign for those entering the hwy.
Fred

'05' F350 PSD 4x4 DRW CC, Lariat luxury group,torqueshift 5-speed auto,13k GVWR/26k GCWR,Tow Boss Pkg (4.30 LS axle),Tow Command Sys (trlr brk control), adjustable brake and fuel pedals, Mag Hytek tranny and diff covers, EGT,tranny and diff temp gauges,98 gal crossbed Transfer Flow fuel tank and Mobile Suites 36CK3 5th whl w/TrailAir pin box and centerpoint susp.
RET USMC;NRA Lifetime endowment member

redgy

Yukon, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/03 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Frank! We have just purchased a 24' 1997 Prowler 5th wheel that sounds just like yours. Do you have any advise about towing it. Also have you experienced any problems with it? Any advise would be most appreciated. Thanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Your best tip or advice on pulling 5th wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.