|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Maiden Voyage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have your cheeks stopped hurting yet from that HUGE grin that you had on your face when you left the factory?? [emoticon] Then what a plus-to head straight for Montana and Yellowstone. Another 20 or 30 pics would have been nice!! Gary

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that's the way to break'er in!!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

northstarbirder

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/10 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DWeikert wrote:

Northstarbirder: Actually, the Adventurer only comes standard with a single tank. That's one of the custom mods they did for me on this camper.

Dan

Cool.

That's why we love Northstar. They're always willing to go that extra mile. Rex and Rory are great.

Is that a solar panel in front of your fridge vent? Looks like you're really set for boondocking.

Ron

* This post was edited 04/25/10 08:12pm by northstarbirder *

Ron Ridout
Long Point, Ontario
www.birdscanada.org

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/10 11:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again. Since the waters are high I decided to make the homeward bound leg of the trip more of a sightseeing trip. First stop after leaving Boulder Creek was Devils Tower. I knew I was getting close, but go around a bend in the road and there it is-
[image]
But you still have some driving to do before you get there.
[image]

As is often the case, pictures cannot do this thing justice.
[image]

Incredibly, native Americans had built a wooden ladder up the side of this thing. It's just barely visible in this photo.
[image]
Maybe this will help
[image]

Native Americans considered this a sacred place and still leave prayer bundles tied to trees in the area.
[image]
I can understand how they would think this is a place of great Earth Power. (Sorry, been listening to The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant book on tape while driving[emoticon])

Had to stop and check out prairie dog town which is a couple hundred yards past the main entrance to Devil's Tower.
[image]
Dozen's of the little guys running around at any one time with countless holes in their designated field.

After Devils Tower it's just a couple hour drive to Mt Rushmore.
[image]
Not sure what they were doing, maybe working on Roosevelt's glasses?

Most of the wooded area around Mt. Rushmore has had the brush cleaned up. It was like thousands of prepared campfires all through the woods.
[image]
All the fallen branches had been cut and neatly stacked. I can't imagine the man hours it must have taken to do this. It was probably hundreds of acres that had been prepared. No idea why...

Last stop of the day was the Crazy Horse monument under construction.
[image]

[image]

[image]

Apparently it's not only Presidents that get their face on currency-
[image]
A series 1899 five dollar silver certificate featuring Running Antelope, Hunkpapa

I have to admit, after looking at all the native American artifacts, photos and stories on display, I can't say I was all that proud to be a white man. They were a noble people who lived in harmony with the land for thousands of years...

Tomorrow, the Air and Space Museum at Ellsworth Air Force Base.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/10 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....what the? How did I miss this one???

Very, very nice camper, and superb photos of your shake-down trip !

Many thanks!

Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Steve_in_29

St Johns, AZ (SEMPER FI)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/10 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new camper. Northstar builds a nice product.

2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

CalifDreamin

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I forgot to mention your 12 Volt fridge, we the same in our TC and love it. I think it draws about 3 amps when running.

It is nice not to have to level the camper for the gas fridge. With your power set up you should have no problems with that little fridge running the batteries down.

Do you have that neat little cassette toilet set up that you can dump in any pit toilet and fill from a brook etc. We also like that setup.d
I dump the gray with a bucket, then fill the cassette upper section with the same bucket. We even dumped in a construction site Johnny on the spot once.

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

northstarbirder wrote:

DWeikert wrote:

Northstarbirder: Actually, the Adventurer only comes standard with a single tank. That's one of the custom mods they did for me on this camper.

Dan

Cool.

That's why we love Northstar. They're always willing to go that extra mile. Rex and Rory are great.

Is that a solar panel in front of your fridge vent? Looks like you're really set for boondocking.

Ron

Sorry, missed your question before. Yes, that's a solar panel (130W Kyocera). The goal was to optomize the rig for boondocking. Looks like I done good. [emoticon] I've also got the 12v DC compressor fridge. Unfortunately, when I went to pick up the camper they had the standard 3-way fridge in. They replaced it with the compressor fridge so I'm not sure I needed those vents, but Rex said he puts those on for the compressor fridge also to allow good airflow over the coils. I did discover a bit of an air leak around the bottom of the fridge where there's internal vents for the coils. Gotta talk to Rex about that.

CalifDreamin

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Most of the wooded area around Mt. Rushmore has had the brush cleaned up. It was like thousands of prepared campfires all through the woods.

In a public place like that it may have been because they thought it looked better.
If it was pine you can prune branches from the trunk to get good quality
saw logs with less knots.
They may be cleaning up the branches to reduce the fire hazard but for the soil it should be left to rot up.

Anyway you look like you are having a nice trip and how can you survive without using campgrounds [emoticon]

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/10 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CalifDreamin wrote:

Quote:

In a public place like that it may have been because they thought it looked better.
If it was pine you can prune branches from the trunk to get good quality
saw logs with less knots.
They may be cleaning up the branches to reduce the fire hazard but for the soil it should be left to rot up.

Anyway you look like you are having a nice trip and how can you survive without using campgrounds [emoticon]

That thought did occur to me. It did allow for good visibility back into the woods. I just found it odd since most National Parks the goal is now to leave things as natural as possible. Granted, this was a National Forest, not a Park, but same principle. While I didn't notice any fresh saw marks, it did also appear that the lower branches had all been removed from the evergreens. Perhaps it was just done for visibility purposes and only for a hundred yards or so back from the road.

Still, as you say, for soil nutrition that stuff should be allowed to rot. But perhaps they'll let it rot in place then come back and spread the compost heap. Certainly couldn't be more labor intensive than stacking it in the first place.

As to campgrounds. Can't tell you how many I've driven past where it looked like you could open the window and knock on the camper next to you. No thanks. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Maiden Voyage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.