RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: April-Canyonlands NP Needles District near Moab (updated)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> April-Canyonlands NP Needles District near Moab (updated)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/10 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

From what Don told me, it might take more than cojones....it might take a bit of masochism too. I guess similar to the Elephant Trail (tomorrow pictures!) there are sections where you can't turn around....you pull forward, stop, then back down the next strecth. But unlike Elephant Hill, its many many time, for very very long sections - it would be no fun to meet someone. It's probably a short wheelbase....or a motorcycle/bike. But wow...the trails look nearly endless.

We haven't done the Flint Trail in the Maze district of Canyonlands for probably 20 years, so it may have been improved by the Park Service since then. Back in the 70's & 80's, it was typically pretty nasty with a lot of strewn around boulders, and some sharp turns requiring backing. However, when Dave Rogers and I were trading some posts on RV.net back when he first joined, he had found a website or a post where some guy with a TC apparently did the Flint Trail more recently. I never would have believed it, but this guy apparently did do it (there was even a photo), so it must be in much better shape than it was back in the day. That said, the Flint Trail can change a lot from season-to-season due to weather and in particular, the monsoon season in the summer, where a storm cell can dump a lot of water in specific areas and wash them out or at least mess them up pretty badly.

On edit ... OK, I went back and did a search for Dave's post back in 2007, and I should have known, the guy was named Graham and did the Flint Trail in an Outfitter Apex 8. Here is the website link: http://www.idledale.com/_sgg/m1m2_1.htm

... and here is the pic of him doing it:
[image]

* This post was edited 05/03/10 09:41pm by DonCurley *

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/10 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

BTG,
That looks to be a very creative use of your ATV trailor if I see correctly. You have pulled it up to the side of your camper and use it for a deck/landing out your 1191 camper side door.
Like your pictures and campsite. Glad you had no mechanical surprises. Thanks for the trip report.
J&K

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/10 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

BTG,
That looks to be a very creative use of your ATV trailor if I see correctly. You have pulled it up to the side of your camper and use it for a deck/landing out your 1191 camper side door.
Like your pictures and campsite. Glad you had no mechanical surprises. Thanks for the trip report.
J&K

Yep, you see that right. It seems like just about every 'idea' I've had about TC's I've seen someone else do, either in person or on rv.net. This is an exception - I've been doing this for years now with this trailer with removable sides but really haven't seen anyone else do it. On the old rear door rig, we spun it around and put the back end against the rear of the TC. With this side-door camper, we pull it up beside. It works remarkably well. Chairs up off the ground, or even the TV set out under the awning for sporting events.

The only drag about it is that my lower storage bins on that side are not easy to open with the trailer there. I use the jackstands to support the rear, and set the tongue on a bike crate to keep it rock solid.

[image]

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/10 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update Don. Your descriptions of that area (the maze) got me really looking closely at that part of my map - and it just looks like so many choices I don't know how I'd pick out just a few routes/loops/out-and-backs to even choose from. I'd probably need a backpack full of fuel to cover it all on my bike. Or have some sort of campsite up on top that I could make the runs from. What an awesome area. We want to come back right now. [emoticon]

hikerdmb

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/10 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent trip!! We spent 9 days exploring southern Utah a couple of years back and could have spent 9 weeks (or 9 years) and it wouldn't be enough. Can't wait to see the next installment of the trip.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with Hemi
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Daystar Leveling Kit
285/75/17 BFG All-Terrain TA
2008 Sun-lite Eagle SB
65 Watt Solar Panel
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Gregory Z-65 Backpack

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/10 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

Thanks for the update Don. Your descriptions of that area (the maze) got me really looking closely at that part of my map - and it just looks like so many choices I don't know how I'd pick out just a few routes/loops/out-and-backs to even choose from. I'd probably need a backpack full of fuel to cover it all on my bike. Or have some sort of campsite up on top that I could make the runs from. What an awesome area. We want to come back right now. [emoticon]

The Maze district of Canyonlands truly redefines the concept of remote. The reason we almost ran out of fuel there back in the mid-70's (even with 72 gallons of gas), was that we attempted to do just about all of the trails and loops in there and all at one time (probably not the best idea in the final analysis). If the rangers up at the Hans Flat Ranger Station hadn't taken pity on us and gave us some gas (after running on fumes up the Flint Trail), we never would have made it out of there to Hanksville (other than backpacking out, which we were prepared to do had it come to that). [emoticon]

We really want to go back there again, only this time with our Outfitter (and with plenty of fuel). Maybe in the fall (?).

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/10 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brian,
thanks for the pics and descriptive log. I like the level of detail in your TR's. Not just a glossy pictoral, but the good-the-bad-and-the-ugly of camping and playing in Moab's red dirt.
Since 1970 the Moab area has been a fave of ours. I remember getting stuck in quicksand in Salt Creek (now closed) with my '66 Land Cruiser and having to dig and winch out (actually, we snapped the shear pin on the winch). During a couple of our September Moab trips we hit Chibascos up from Mexico. With torrential rains, those creeks rose so high we had to move our tent site to higher ground, like in the middle of the night. There were waterfalls everywhere in the rocks; A symphony of running water.
Having done Moab most of the months of the year, we've ex-ed out all but March/April, and September/October. The place gets miserably hot or cold during the other months.
The last 20 years or so, we go there only to 4 wheel. Of course, we stay in the TC in a campground in town.
It's a special place, Moab.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Guys (and gals):

What an excellent write-up, photos and get-together! Can't wait for part II !!

Quote:

We made out stop in town and customary visit to the visitor center and the "Back of Beyond" book store

That's a very comprehensive bookstore, and one we always visit when at Moab. The "other" bookstore, or rather, map store we always hung out at was, I believe, on E Center St (someone can correct me if Center St is/was not it). That ancient map store (I think it doubled as a printing shop, too) had a WEALTH of topographic maps of the region (and, other map genres as well). Every time we went, we walked out with no fewer than roughly 5 dozen maps! The last time we visited (during '07), the store was all but closed down. Too bad!

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

We made out stop in town and customary visit to the visitor center and the "Back of Beyond" book store

That's a very comprehensive bookstore, and one we always visit when at Moab. The "other" bookstore, or rather, map store we always hung out at was, I believe, on E Center St (someone can correct me if Center St is/was not it). That ancient map store (I think it doubled as a printing shop, too) had a WEALTH of topographic maps of the region (and, other map genres as well). Every time we went, we walked out with no fewer than roughly 5 dozen maps! The last time we visited (during '07), the store was all but closed down. Too bad!

That is Center Street, and it was part of the Moab Times-Independent newspaper building (hence the printing equipment and operation). Unfortunately, that portion of their business was closed down as it was a great map store for many years (however, the newspaper operation remains as the main paper for Moab and Grand County).

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/10 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Don, for the additional info on that map outlet, and clarification of its locale!

After the truck wash in Moab, this was the 2nd place we had frequented when we 1st discovered the town back in '03.

Cheers,
Silver-

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> April-Canyonlands NP Needles District near Moab (updated)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.