|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Yellowstone NP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
shonrt1

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/10 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a travel trailer to Yellowstone about 10 years ago and now my wife would like to take the Class A DP there the week after Labor Day. The hill climbs don't scare me, but I must admit, the descents have me questioning whether or not I should go. I don't have an exhaust brake. I'd like to hear from RV'ers who've made the trip and how they were able to keep from burning up their brakes. I know if I downshift and get the RPM's to high, I can burn up the valves, and of course, if I ride the brakes, they fade and I take a swan dive over a switchback. Am I just being too cautious?

I have a 2001 National Caribbean, 35 foot with 260 HP Cummins. Will have a small car as toad.

RichNewcome

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/10 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shonrt1: the link I referred to above describes the various routes into Yellowstone with respect to their suitabilty for RV travel. It helped me decide my route for an upcoming trip.

bigdogger

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/10 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shonrt1 wrote:

I towed a travel trailer to Yellowstone about 10 years ago and now my wife would like to take the Class A DP there the week after Labor Day. The hill climbs don't scare me, but I must admit, the descents have me questioning whether or not I should go. I don't have an exhaust brake. I'd like to hear from RV'ers who've made the trip and how they were able to keep from burning up their brakes. I know if I downshift and get the RPM's to high, I can burn up the valves, and of course, if I ride the brakes, they fade and I take a swan dive over a switchback. Am I just being too cautious?

I have a 2001 National Caribbean, 35 foot with 260 HP Cummins. Will have a small car as toad.
You have come to the right thread. Traveling from I-90 down US-89 to Gardiner and the north entrance has no climbs or switchbacks. It is about a 1200 foot elevation change over 52 miles along the Yellowstone river. Very gentle, you will never have to touch the brakes or push the engine the entire trip. Stay in Gardiner and use your towed to tour Yellowstone. Gardiner is a great location to visit the Northern side of the Park features including the Beartooth Highway, the Lamar Valley, Tower Falls area, Mammoth Hot Springs and it is only about 7 miles further from Canyon (upper and lower falls) and 20 miles further from Old Faithful than West Yellowstone, Gardiner has much less traffic and congestion than the West Yellowstone area. Be aware, however that the landscape is very different. Gardiner and Mammoth is high mountain desert country, not pine forests. You will get really big views in Gardiner and Mammoth but you won't get a forest camping environment.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Yellowstone NP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.