Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Locks on propane cabinet doors?

Posted By: sandy43 on 05/07/10 01:30pm

I've never seen cam locks on propane cabinet doors. Does anyone put locks on them? The reason I ask, a couple weeks ago I was at an RV park in Rockport, TX and I was told a week or so before then someone had their tanks stolen at night while they were out doing whatever. Replacing tanks could get a bit pricey. I assume no locks for propane cabinet means quick access in an emergency. I've never seen or heard of a problem in the cabinet. Just curious what others think?

Posted By: RedG on 05/07/10 01:35pm

I put a lock on my propane door.
Those bottles are expensive.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

Posted By: jeffcollingwood on 05/07/10 01:36pm

You are right, they are not locked so that in an emergency the propane can be shut off. You can use a bicycle lock to lock them to the frame, that is what I did.
...Jeff....
sandy43 wrote:

I've never seen cam locks on propane cabinet doors. Does anyone put locks on them? The reason I ask, a couple weeks ago I was at an RV park in Rockport, TX and I was told a week or so before then someone had their tanks stolen at night while they were out doing whatever. Replacing tanks could get a bit pricey. I assume no locks for propane cabinet means quick access in an emergency. I've never seen or heard of a problem in the cabinet. Just curious what others think?

2007 Freightliner M2
2009 Hitchhiker CE 36 LKRSB
My Travel Webpage

Posted By: arm on 05/07/10 01:57pm

I installed two band-cam locks with 2 keyed to like locks to secure the tanks in the compartment, which keeps honest people from taking the tanks and still leaves the door access for an emergency shut off, if required. The bands could still be cut if you were determined to get the tanks. It just makes me feel a little better, and I still have both tanks after 6 years.

1996 Roadtrek 190 Popular
2- Schwinn folding 7sp bikes
Honda EU2000i

Posted By: Falcon35 on 05/07/10 02:03pm

I had one of my two stolen a few years ago.
I now lock up the tanks but the door is not locked so they could be shut off.

2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 05/07/10 02:06pm

BTDT After my tanks walked off I put a cam lock on. The door is unlocked most of the time, but if I'm in a shady CG and we leave for a bit I usually turn off LP and lock door. Just trying to keep people honest.

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 05/07/10 02:10pm

Don't put a lock on the hatch, as said lock the bottles if you want...but the DOT restricts the locking of the propane tank compartment, due to fire regulations requiring quick access of the shut off valves.

"Propane tanks and the shut off valves for them must be in an unlocked compartment or accessible at all times. That is why all RVs with chassis mount tanks have them in an unlocked compartment or at least the shut off valve is accessible without a key. And RV's with 20 or 30 lb propane bottles must be in an unlockable compartment. Tongue mounted propane bottles must also have easy access to the shut out valves."

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

Posted By: the bear II on 05/07/10 02:13pm

Guess it's time to lock em up...didn't realize there was a theft problem.

Wonder if that's how the failed times square bomber got the tanks he used.

He probably had them laying on the side and the safety valve kicked in. No gas escaped, no boom.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 05/07/10 02:19pm

If you lock the doors make sure your liability insurance will cover your actions and understand the loss of life could be yours when you are sleeping inside. As stated there is a reason access to the shut off valve is a law.

Posted By: RedG on 05/07/10 02:24pm

My door is always unlocked when I'm occupying the unit, but it's locked when I'm away or if it's in storage.

Posted By: papa peter on 05/07/10 04:39pm

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Don't put a lock on the hatch, as said lock the bottles if you want...but the DOT restricts the locking of the propane tank compartment, due to fire regulations requiring quick access of the shut off valves.

"Propane tanks and the shut off valves for them must be in an unlocked compartment or accessible at all times. That is why all RVs with chassis mount tanks have them in an unlocked compartment or at least the shut off valve is accessible without a key. And RV's with 20 or 30 lb propane bottles must be in an unlockable compartment. Tongue mounted propane bottles must also have easy access to the shut out valves."

x2 ... There's good reason why not 1 manufacturer has installed locks on their propane compartments. Get real - if someone wants your propane bottles, and/or anything else in your 5er they're going to get it without too much trouble. You really think a little lock will stop them?

Posted By: UsualSuspect on 05/07/10 04:57pm

fordsooperdooty wrote:

I agree, don;t lock mine, and if I have to lock everything down everywhere I go, I might as well not go. I figure in a given night there are 100's of these to take in any campground, so it would be an extremely random event.

2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD ">)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 05/07/10 06:25pm

fordsooperdooty wrote:

And - two more for Sooper -
1. Just suppose *YOU* need to shut off your propane supply in a hurry?
Sure . . . my keys are right here in my . . .
(Murphy strikes again!)

2. Just like *all* your storage compartments - a medium flat-head screwdriver will open any locked compt with ease!

Sooooooo - as other posters have said - for theft prevention -
find a way to lock the bottles to the frame, or? - while still being able to instantly access them for shut-off.
Lots of easy options - that will be *much* better theft prevention!

~

JC

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 05/07/10 07:10pm

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

fordsooperdooty wrote:

(Murphy strikes again!)

2. Just like *all* your storage compartments - a medium flat-head screwdriver will open any locked compt with ease!

find a way to lock the bottles to the frame, or? - while still being able to instantly access them for shut-off.

~

JC

So JC
#1 In a hurry, I leave mine unlocked unless I go away and its turned off then. No keys needed in a hurry. By the way I don't fumble around for my keys.
#2 Another reason to not worry, a simple screwdriver will open it if need be. Heck why lock anything since we all have the same keys or a screwdriver will rip it open. Why bother closing doors when you leave.

Maybe you should wait till you replace a couple then tell us your way of keeping them from being stolen by simple folk just seeing a opportunity.
I do agree in care should be taken with LP, same with weight rating but I see them broken most every day.
Just a side note, DOT laws are in transit, nothing to do with CG that I know of.

Posted By: bstark on 05/07/10 07:33pm

How would a neighbour shut them off while you're away without damage to your door if they smell a leak from your rig? Are they supposed to pack up and move out of the proximity of your rig because they can't get at your tanks to shut them off? Chain your tanks if you must to prevent theft but leave the door unlocked so others can save your unit for you if there's a leak or a fire while you're away. A lock on that door won't even slow down an inept thief, much less a determined one. Safety codes exist for some very valid reasons.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Posted By: 2oldman on 05/07/10 07:36pm

Dale_S wrote:

don;t lock mine, and if I have to lock everything down everywhere I go, I might as well not go.
x2.

Posted By: willym on 05/07/10 07:49pm

BruceStarkey wrote:

How would a neighbour shut them off while you're away without damage to your door if they smell a leak from your rig? Are they supposed to pack up and move out of the proximity of your rig because they can't get at your tanks to shut them off? Chain your tanks if you must to prevent theft but leave the door unlocked so others can save your unit for you if there's a leak or a fire while you're away. A lock on that door won't even slow down an inept thief, much less a determined one. Safety codes exist for some very valid reasons.

Agree. I had to shut off some cylinders on an adjacent trailer once. Their gas alarm was sounding. It turned out to be a false alarm on that occasion. I wouldn't have wanted to explain how I wrecked their compartment door to get to their cylinders in that case.

willym
09 Dodge 3500DRW CTD 4.10 68RFE
2011 Landmark Rushmore.

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 05/07/10 08:07pm

Let me say this again, locked door tanks are closed. How does that effect my fellow camper in closing a already closed tank? Of course a thief is a thief and could be in your stick house as we type. The locked door is a deterrent for average joe looking for a easy target.
Some very selective reading here! Maybe a little less Crown Royal, second thought not [emoticon]

Posted By: stickdog on 05/07/10 08:20pm

rick83864 wrote:

Let me say this again, locked door tanks are closed. How does that effect my fellow camper in closing a already closed tank? Of course a thief is a thief and could be in your stick house as we type. The locked door is a deterrent for average joe looking for a easy target.
Some very selective reading here! Maybe a little less Crown Royal, second thought not [emoticon]

I don't trust anyone who distrusts everyone.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Posted By: davelinde on 05/07/10 08:35pm

willym wrote:

Agree. I had to shut off some cylinders on an adjacent trailer once. Their gas alarm was sounding. It turned out to be a false alarm on that occasion. I wouldn't have wanted to explain how I wrecked their compartment door to get to their cylinders in that case.

x2.
We once had a water leak that shorted our propane detector and it began to sound while we were away. Neighbors notified campground manager, campground called fire department. When we got back our water and propane was off.

I assume the fire department would have opened a locked propane compartment any way they needed to do it.

Lock the strap, leave the compartment locks off.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

Posted By: Nolann on 05/07/10 08:55pm

2oldman wrote:

Dale_S wrote:

don;t lock mine, and if I have to lock everything down everywhere I go, I might as well not go.
x2.

x3 we have always left everything left open or unlocked ... from bikes to bbq to axe to chairs ... in 9 years of camping nothing lost or stolden

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 05/07/10 09:19pm

rick83864 wrote:

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

fordsooperdooty wrote:

(Murphy strikes again!)

~

JC

So JC
#1 In a hurry, I leave mine unlocked unless I go away and its turned off then. No keys needed in a hurry. By the way I don't fumble around for my keys.
#2 Another reason to not worry, a simple screwdriver will open it if need be. Heck why lock anything since we all have the same keys or a screwdriver will rip it open. Why bother closing doors when you leave.

Maybe you should wait till you replace a couple then tell us your way of keeping them from being stolen by simple folk just seeing a opportunity.
I do agree in care should be taken with LP, same with weight rating but I see them broken most every day.
Just a side note, DOT laws are in transit, nothing to do with CG that I know of.

Whatever works for your, Rick! [emoticon]

Back to #1 - I don't fumble for any storage compt keys, nor am I worried that they're unlocked ('cause they *ALL* are, LOL!)
They all have thumb-turn latches (like the propane compt)!

And #2 - ??? Screwdriver is the "any key". Agreed?

Your last:
(IMO) the other posters covered (quite well) easy & effective anti-theft measures to keep "the simple folk" from walking off with the bottles.

However - I'm with Nolann - been camping in RVs with wheels since 1970. Tents (etc.) before that.
Never had anything stolen. Don't bother with locks (although I would cable lock bikes). But - believe there could be a first time.

Soopers ref (not mine) to DOT was incorrect. (IIRC) the regs are from RVIA. But - what does it matter which it is?

~

JC

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 05/07/10 11:00pm

I love your posts JC, just not this time. Come on RIVA, they can't even get the axles and tires straight let alone anything else. Wow 1st time wrong for Soopers, your kidding right??? Guess you don't know Idaho to well. Our screwdriver is something like a AR-15.
Unless someone can actually give me a law stating otherwise, I'll just keep do'in the same.

* This post was edited 05/07/10 11:06pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 05/07/10 11:19pm

Rick - are you tippin' the bubbly tonight? [emoticon]

Spent a lot of time in Idaho.

I'm willing to be "enlightened" - who (what agency) *is* responsible for the "no locks" on propane compt doors?

You can straighten out that darn Sooper too!

Yikes! You need an AR-15 to open a storage compt door?
Tough to fit in your back pocket, LOL!

Or - do you mean that's your security system?
If so - there's bound to be a major decrease in propane tank thefts all across America (overnight)!!

What is . . . "the same" - that you're gonna keep doin' ???

~

JC

* This post was edited 05/08/10 03:11am by ol Bombero-JC *

Posted By: Sluggo54 on 05/08/10 12:11am

RedG wrote:

My door is always unlocked when I'm occupying the unit, but it's locked when I'm away or if it's in storage.

X2

Sluggo

DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Kelpie, RIP 8/4/2016) DD = Zoey, Carolina Dog
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie SOLD
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW DEAL PENDING

Posted By: glazier on 05/08/10 06:34am

We never lock anything, I would stop going camping if theft was a concern in a campground. We walk around during the day and never lock our door.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

Posted By: Bob N Deb on 05/08/10 10:13am

as a long time firefighter If I was to come to a gas leak and the compartment was locked I have a way of opening it [emoticon] . fires and explosions are messier than axed doors so my opinion is don't lock the compartment .

Posted By: emtee on 05/08/10 10:01am

X3 or 4 or however many it is now... No locks on anything- ever. If you really need something I have, take it. Please just don't tear up my rig doing it.

On the other hand, please don't get stuff while I'm there. I will prevent that if I can, and you may bleed a bit.

So, y'all do what you want with your propane bombs. I will leave mine unlocked just in case someone needs to either turn it off or needs to own it.

Cheers.

Mark and Lucy T.
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 liter "Fe Balls"
2008 Jayco Eagle 27.5 RKS Super Lite
Superglide on Homemade Removable Rails

Posted By: bstark on 05/08/10 10:10am

Rick: Ya got me! I had indeed not noticed your statement "tanks are turned off when door is locked" and you were indeed right on about the 'Crown Royal' as well! I don't know what it is about these forum thingy's but 5 minutes and I'm making my first run to the bar in the rec-room for that stabilizer! [emoticon]

Print  |  Close