RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Plan B - Part II (the pics keep comin'!)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Plan B - Part II (the pics keep comin'!)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dbbls

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/10 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting. I wish there was more of this on the forum.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/10 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another great one sSSS. Excellent photos and narrative as always.

A couple of photos jump out at me.....the one on the Colorado River with the mountains (Henry's?) peeking through the canyon walls is stunning.

Hog Springs Rest Area looks like one of those little gems that too often people end up driving by without stopping.

I love the picture of the desolation on Hans Flat Road. Pretty neat the road in is 46 miles of dirt. Just think, in the east or even some places out here, that 46 miles would take you past 6 towns, 2 rest areas, and tons of people. Here, you might have seen a few lonely cows or coyotes and a rattlesnake or two.

The sand dunes photo is georgeous.....is that the road in the foreground in the sand? I guess those are also the La Sals in the background....

Awesome campsite but it could get interesting if a huge storm nailed you out in the open there - and you might have to wait for things to dry out (though the road looked pretty good.) Of course, that might be true of Catherdral Point too.....exposure is great for views, but can be iffy too.

I don't think Don's Jeep would have any trouble with that road into the canyon... [emoticon]

Thanks for this portion of the TR......I'd been seeing that little chunk of C.N.P. and wondered about it a bit - thanks for putting some context to the map.

Tremendous TR - thanks for your time and efforts!

Blueboat

Arizona, Mesa

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/10 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With some of these adventures you guys put up, it’s like national geographic or those fancy travel shows on TV. I often wonder if it would be better to sell my truck and camper and just take in the beauty here on the internet, it sure would be cheaper. Nope I would miss the anticipation of our next trip and all of the things the cameras don’t see like the peaceful smile on the DW face when we pull into new territory (priceless).

Very nice Mr. Smith you sure put together a great travel documentary.

2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 LB 4X4 SRW
2010 811 Arctic Fox.

RockyRoadCamper

Browder, Ky, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/10 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoyed the photos and report. We have been to all of those places, and I must say they are some of our favorite spots.

Thanks, Preston in western KY

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/10 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who read and appreciate the post - I don't know if we really understand how fortunate we are as TC owners to have the ability to go where many others can't or won't - I do know you'll never read a trip report like this, or from btggraphix, or Don Curley, or Whazoo on any other RV forum (not counting Expedition Portal, 'cause those guys are in a category of their own).

One of the things I wanted to accomplish with this TR was help TC owners understand that not all trips need to go off road on challenging and difficult trails to see some really cool places out west - although I do drive dirt roads, most of them require only a good map and a sense of direction. Anyone should be able to negotiate these routes to see and do some of the things I've shared. (Disclaimer - I need to mention that I am referring specifically to this trip report, and also to clarify that even these "easy" roads can become quite impassable with wet weather - I say "know before you go!")

btggraphix wrote:

....is that the road in the foreground in the sand? I guess those are also the La Sals in the background..

That is the road - I think this patch gets buried on a regular basis, since what you can't see in the picture is the front end loader parked nearby. And those mountains are the Henrys, looking to the south.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Plan B - Part II (the pics keep comin'!)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.