|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Plan B - Part III The Greatest Earth On Show

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AZ9

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, this is so good! I wish I have Outfitter 650...dreaming to go everywhere like you!

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To get a better understanding of where you are taking us on these great adventures, I look them up on google maps. Even on the maps, the area looks stunning.

Quote:

This picture is my favorite as it makes me want to jump in the truck and see where that road goes:

I'm ready sis - let's go.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

Curious about the stats of you trip.
How many days, miles, day/night temps, fuel used, propane used, water used, dump the tanks once or twice?

Trip total - 9 days, 8 nights. Roundtrip miles from my home in Flagstaff = 1250, Temperatures/Weather = wildly variable with a few beautiful days, a few windy days, some rain/snow, typical spring weather. Fuel used = 120 gallons (appx) - mileage varies depending on highway travel vs. offroad travel, lots of stop and go for picture taking. Propane = I used most of 1 - 20 lb bottle (5 gals). Water = 25 gallons (appx). My rig doesn't have an inside shower and I use a portable chemical toilet, so dumping tanks is not an issue.

TwoMaineiacs wrote:

The roads you showed are in better shape then the paved roads around us in New England.

It is always interesting to me how the conditions of the roads in the backcountry vary from season to season. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the BLM had recently graded most of the trails I saw in the Swell - I expect it to look much different after the summer thunderstorm season!

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

Roadlover

Petoskey, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for your contribution to this forum! I have enjoyed several of your posting and always look forward to what you have next ot offer us. Your photography and narative discribtions are so well done that it is like reading a professional travel log. Again, thanks!

"The Journey is the Destination"

2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison
TorkLift Talon Tiedowns, StableLoads and FastGuns with Locks

2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with Dry Bath with Fox Landing and Wobble Stoppers

jchonroad

South Berwick, ME

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome. We hope to get there someday, ourselves.
Thanks for sharing.
John

John '46
Joyce '46 (DW)
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBERS
Heidie '00 (#1 Guard Dog, 11 lbs), Reggie '09 (#2 Guard Dog, 14 lbs) & Lady '12 (#3 Guard dog, 13 Lbs.)
'05 Winnebago Voyage 35A, Workhorse W22
'12 Malibu Toad w/Sterling Aluminum Tow Bar & Brake Buddy

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The roads you showed are in better shape then the paved roads around us in New England. Thanks for sharing.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/10 03:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful landscapes. Thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos and trip! I love that arch - and I guess if I had to pick my favorite picture out of them, it'd be the one of your campsite at the Lucky Smith Mine - just because of the TC in it. But the others of the distant roads are awfully nice too.

By the way, notice how here:

seldomseensmith wrote:

It is always interesting to me how the conditions of the roads in the backcountry vary from season to season. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the BLM had recently graded most of the trails I saw in the Swell - I expect it to look much different after the summer thunderstorm season!

and here:

seldomseensmith wrote:

Red's Canyon road continues west for a few more miles, then drops south/southwest into a streambed for another 7 miles as it contours around the base of the cliffs, so it should never be attempted during summer thunderstorm season. On this trip, the sandy washbottom is in good shape.

....Senor Smith is referring to "Thunderstorm SEASON" not just during or after a thunderstorm. For you all that are enjoying these pictures and reports, it is important to note that as benign and friendly as the area looks at times, it can be such a complete opposite at just the right/wrong time. You (or your vehicle anyway) could end up stuck in one of these places for literally days, weeks (or more?) depending. I know people who avoid making comments to others about the "difficulty" of roads out here because of fear of people taking the information and using it, especially during a different time of year and getting caught off guard. The same can happen during the shoulder or winter seasons where a snow can get you stuck or killed in no-time flat. It's something you need to keep in mind. A question to always think about is: "How would I do if I had to WALK out of here to get help?" or "How long would it take someone to find me if I couldn't walk out?" On-Star and Sat-phones can become life savers.... [emoticon]

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/10 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

....Senor Smith is referring to "Thunderstorm SEASON" not just during or after a thunderstorm. For you all that are enjoying these pictures and reports, it is important to note that as benign and friendly as the area looks at times, it can be such a complete opposite at just the right/wrong time. You (or your vehicle anyway) could end up stuck in one of these places for literally days, weeks (or more?) depending. I know people who avoid making comments to others about the "difficulty" of roads out here because of fear of people taking the information and using it, especially during a different time of year and getting caught off guard. The same can happen during the shoulder or winter seasons where a snow can get you stuck or killed in no-time flat. It's something you need to keep in mind. A question to always think about is: "How would I do if I had to WALK out of here to get help?" or "How long would it take someone to find me if I couldn't walk out?" On-Star and Sat-phones can become life savers.... [emoticon]

Excellent point! I do try to emphasize that many (most) Utah backcountry road are impassable (even impossible) during wet weather. Anyone who says "well, I've got 4 wheel drive so how bad can it be?" needs to understand that the composition of these roads is typically mudstone, shale, or clay and even a little water can turn a smooth well graded surface into a inescapable trap.

I always try to anticipate the weather before I go into the backcountry, USUALLY opting to stay away if it looks like rain - but, as the last installment in my extended trip report will demonstrate even I sometimes fail to heed my own advice.... [emoticon]

Harleybullet

Holbrook, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/10 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Loved your pictures ... is it at all possible to put a map in the thread... many of us (east of the devide, like NY) not know where these cut offs are and may be in the area in our travels).... just wishing outloud.

Dave

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Plan B - Part III The Greatest Earth On Show
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.