|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> White Rim Trail - Canyonlands - May 2010

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/10 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told a long time ago by a "4X4er" that a 4 wheel drive is a good tool. It warns you when the road has ended and it is time to get out of there. I always understood that. I was never really a 4X4 guy. But I understand the need to "go there". I have done that many times when I was a lot younger and nimble to places that looking back I wonder if I brought my brains that day. [emoticon]
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

bka0721

Republic of Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/10 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent report and good heads up call for others that might think about it. Obviously the Ranger could have been more insightful for you in what you might have expected.

I have been on the White Rim Trail twice, but always with a mountain bike and having a sag wagon bringing up the rear and camping gear. You are a lot braver than I am, plus I have too much height on my TC.

Thanks for the Pics and report!

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an edge-of-the-seat read! Tremendous!

I think that your technical skills are far more than you let on [emoticon]

I notice that you removed all your jacks. It looks like your camper dimensions were just about at the limit for several sections of the trail.

Again, unbelievable!

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/10 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] (Replace with bowing smiley)

I'll go places with my hardside that most would dare to tread, but I do believe you have me beat.

I drove down the Shafer Trail back in 2000 in a F350 Crew Cab long bed and swore I would never do it again. However, I would have often thought about going back to do the White Rim Tail coming in via the Potash ponds though.

However, now that I've seen your complete report, I think I'll wait til I take my Jeep Scrambler out there so I can enjoy the trip. Just need to remember to pack my tent so I can do it over two days and enjoy some of the side trips.

Great report with some close wall photos. Thx

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/10 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White Rim Trail has been near the top of my list for some time now. Problem is I don't really care to do it myself and DW is a workaholic!!!

One day I am just going to do it, either way!!! [emoticon]

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!!! Well done!!! [emoticon]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report! Some of the pictures made ME pucker!!! I did some trails in Moab on a dirt bike and even on it some of the drop-offs were daunting, I can only imagine what it would be like in a TC with only inches to spare. Good job!

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I held my breath just looking at my screen! Thanks.

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics but that just doesn't sound like fun to my wife or me, worrying about damaging the camper or worst going off the road. I guess I'll stick to trip reports for places I won't or can't go with my high clearenced tc on a dually.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report, thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

SheepCamp

SW Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/10 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White Rim is a great trail for people that can slow down. We like to do it in 3 or 4 days. That allows time to stop and enjoy the scenery without rushing. We have reservations for Oct to take the Jeep Cherokee and run a shag wagon for our daughter and several other firefighters and 911 dispatchers on mountain bikes. Camp spots are about 10 miles apart and have 1 to 3 spots at each. Very nice restroom at each camp spot. (did see a shotbed dually with the septic service tank on the trail last year).

Nice job to do it with the hardside.

Reservations start about Aug for the following year. Check out the Canyonlands website for more info.

01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> White Rim Trail - Canyonlands - May 2010
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.