RV.Net Open Roads Forum: First night out with the 'new' Bigfoot (long w/pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> First night out with the 'new' Bigfoot (long w/pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
skruske

Saginaw Bay USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife & I are in Wyoming visiting our kids. We picked up our '05 Bigfoot a week ago in Colorado Springs on the way out here. We decided it was time to find a place to camp over night and get to know our 'new' camper.

The area south of Rock Springs has a lot of BLM land so we picked a rare level spot off county road 48. All we need is gravity anyway.

[image]

We were looking things over, checking awnings, trying out the generator & looking for valves ect. I cleared away a cobweb, as I was looking over an exposed 30amp breaker in the generator compartment, and a Black Widow spider came out of the plastic wire loom. I jerked my hand out of the compartment and my wife though I'd shocked myself. I mashed the offensive arachnid with a fork and then went to find my leather gloves just incase there were others.

We don't have them in Michigan & I sure don't want to haul any home.

While checking over the breaker, I managed to interupt DC power to the inside of the camper when the breaker broke open in my hand. I had to do some cobbling & head scratching but did figure out away to keep the contacts in the breaker together with some electric tape.

Thats when I discovered a 14 gauge crimp on wire connector wasn't making contact with the 10 gauge wire.[emoticon] I jammed that back in place as best I could & taped it up too. Clearly a mfg defect that would have been tough to locate due to it's intermitted nature.
With power restored, I restarted the 'fridge & furnace for the night.

We hadn't had a chance to sanitize & flush the old water out of the tank since picking up the camper in Colorado Springs last week, so I made a phone call to my son back in Rock Springs to bring out a gallon of drinking water. How 'bout that, 1 bar.

[image]

Hiking around the desert & rimrock can be tiring to us low landers.

[image]

In the morning while eating breakfast & having coffee, a pair of Antelope paid us a visit, just 20yds behind the camper.

[image]

We took a walk at mid morning looking for arrow heads & I came across a board with nails sticking up. As I turned it over a lizard scurried away. It's partner just sat still. It barely flinched when I picked it up.

[image]

After our hike we wandered back up Hwy 430 into town to locate a new breaker & proper size connector. I had those items repaired in short order & all is up & running fine.

We've made a list of things to do to the camper when we return home. It's pretty much all good, there a just a couple things I'm going to modify.

* This post was edited 05/27/10 03:07pm by skruske *

'97 F-250 4x4 Powerstroke. 2005 Bigfoot 10.6e
Will hunt for food ">

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The area from Colorado Springs to Walsenburg is known for being the most populated area for black widow spiders in the US. Be careful until you have cleaned the TC out completely. They lurk everywhere. The best way to find them is at night about 10:30 to 11:00 PM. Take a flashlight and go around the TC looking at every nook and cranny for them. They will be there and you can spray them with a spider killer. It gets them pretty quick. Good luck. Watch for the Brown Recluse ( fiddler spider ) as well.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, at night with a flashlight. At our park model in AZ I once found 19 black widows in one evening around the outside of our buildings, the car and the golf cart. You'll see the webs during the day but not the spiders. I knocked them down with a fly swatter and squashed them with my shoes. Do NOT wear sandals. We never, ever had one inside, though.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

USAFBILL

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a bug bomb in the camper when you get home, that should do the trick

arkansastravler

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watch them bug bombs, I saw a trailer one time that the windows and doors were blown off because they figured more was better.Tj

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be looking for more trip reports now that you are ready to get TCing!

dbbls

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You TC guys are the greatest for posting pictures. Keep it up. That is a nice looking Big Foot.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/10 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it all went off without a glitch...you would be wondering when is it comming...no trip is without one of some kind especially with a new to you rig..nice! At least you new what to do and what to look for..good job! Literally you'll work out the bugs and such....Happy Trails!

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skrukes so what are you packin'?

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

explorer0863

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/10 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a beautiful landscape and a very nice TC! Congratulations on your purchase and happy camping!
Tony

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins Diesel H.O. Engine, 6 Spd
2004 Lance 1161, Generac 3.5 LPG Generator
1994 Range Rover Classic LWB
Proud vet of Operations Desert Storm, Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom - USAF Security Forces

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> First night out with the 'new' Bigfoot (long w/pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.