RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Calaveras Big Trees - lots of pictures.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Calaveras Big Trees - lots of pictures.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RenoAl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/10 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at Calaveras Big Trees State Park the other day. So I did a search on it when I returned and got no response so I am gonna throw in this trip report. I hope you enjoy it.

Calaveras Big Trees is located about 25 miles east of Angels Camp, CA (think jumping frog) on CA hwy 4 at 4500 feet elevation. It boasts 2 groves of the Sequoia redwoods. These are inland redwoods not to be confused with the coastal redwoods which are thinner and taller. These are the redwoods that are found in the King's Canyon/Sequoia parks. While not as large as there southern cousins the still are impressive with sizes up to 25 feet in diameter and 250 plus feet tall.

So the first order is to get over the Sierra crest. Given the cold and wet spring that means you are gonna get snowed on. So here is the view of the Sierra Nevada (Job's peak somewhere in those clouds) from Carson City.

[image]

The direct route over Hwy 4 is not open due to snow. So it is an additional 2 hours to take CA hwy 88 over Kit Carson pass then CA hwy 49 to Angels Camp and CA hwy 4 east to Big Trees - ugh! Anyway a shot of the last climb to the summit. If it looks like its snowing it's because it is.

[image]

Glad there is still some snow left! Maybe it will be gone by July 4th.

[image]

And here is the summit at 8500 plus feet

[image]

So we arrive and head for the Oak Hollow cg. There are 2 campgrounds. The North is by the north grove and next to the hwy and the north grove while Oak Hollow is about 5 miles further on toward the south grove. Our spot had a little creek.

[image]

The dogwood was just coming into bloom.

[image]

And a snow plant. The snow plant is a non-chlorophyll fungus plant that is a parasite of the surrounding conifers. An odd but beautifull plant.

[image]

The next morning we head off for the south grove. The trail is a 5 mile round trip thru mixed conifer forests with sugar pines, cedar, fir, oak and dogwood. You start out by crossing Beaver creek. Maybe I'll see if there are any fish in there on the way back.

[image]

[image]

After a mile or so you start to spot some of the Sequoia big trees.

[image]

For scale Judy is standing just to the right of the leftmost tree. Can you find her?

[image]

This big fella is the chimney tree. So named as the fire scar goes completely up the tree. It is still alive and healthy. Probably has been standing like that for 500 or more years. Yup, you do indeed feel a bit insignificant among these trees.

[image]

These are actually 2 trees growing so close together you think they are one.

[image]

So here we are standing in the hollow of a downed tree. Rosie says " Wow that's a big tree!."

[image]

And here are Rosie and I at the Palace Hotel.

[image]

This is the largest tree, The Agassiz tree.

[image]

[image]

These things are so massive you have a hard time getting a sense of them. So here is a video to give a better perspective video

There were no fish, at least none I caught, in that creek.

[image]

One the way home CA hwy 4 (Ebbets Pass) was open so I am gonna bore you with some photos.

This sign always gets people's attention.

[image]

A view up the North fork of the Mokelume river to the Carson Iceberg wilderness.

[image]

Tryon peak at 9970 feet.

[image]

Some of that pesky snow. Remember we are about 30 days from the longest day of the year.

[image]

[image]

Thanks for looking in.

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/10 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love that area Al....You guys always have a great time even if ya don't catch a fish....Thanks for the post.

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/10 11:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

24% !! Is that for real?? Gawd

DEcamper

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 02:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pictures. It's hard to imagine trees that big. And thanks for the snow pictures, in this 90 degree heat we're having, they sure helped to cool me off!

Nina

Todd & Nina
2009 Ford F-450 4X4, Torklifts w/Fastguns
2010 Northstar Igloo U
Honda EU2000i (Camo)

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing a place that I didn't even know existed. The trees are truely awe inspiring.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report, these trees are incredible, I would like to see them in reality, perhaps in the future....
Thanks for sharing.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

24% !! Is that for real?? Gawd
This is almost as hard to imagine having not seen one this steep as trying to imagine trees that big.

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RenoAl:

Good report, very nice country.

It would appears that you were there about May 21,2010>

Thanks.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip RenoAl - thanks for the ride-along.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice trip report and pics Al. We love that area. In fact, so much so, my wife and I got married in 1979 in Calaveras Big Trees State Park, specifically on "The Big Stump" in the North Grove (originally from the "Discovery Tree", which many of the locals just refer to as "The Stump"). Believe it or not, it was big enough for the minister, the bride & groom, along with the entire wedding party to stand on.

[image]

[image]

[image]

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Calaveras Big Trees - lots of pictures.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.