RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Calaveras Big Trees - lots of pictures.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Calaveras Big Trees - lots of pictures.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RenoAl,

Thanks. It reminded me of the many times we have been there. Truly it is another world from the Nevada desert and only about 100 miles away. I never tire of the huge trees and how majestic they are.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heh, think I'll skip that part of Hwy 4 if I'm ever in the area, I had enough for 18-24% grades on the Mattole Road.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics. Enjoyed them. It's been a while since we've been up there. Thanks for sharing.

DH, Myself
and 5 Fur Balls

Simplygib

Grants Pass, OR USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

24% !! Is that for real?? Gawd

It's for real, and it's a really pretty drive. Sonora Pass (Hwy 108) to the south of this one is even steeper at 26% in spots.

Great shots Al. It's one of those places that truly live up to the word "awesome."

The story of that Discovery tree and stump always kind of made me a little ill. It was cut down by early pioneers in 1853 to make that dance floor. Another tree over 300 feet tall was stripped of 116 feet of bark, which was then shipped to London to be reconstructed as a money-making tourist attraction. Imagine those trees today had they not been touched.

* This post was edited 06/02/10 12:17pm by Simplygib *

Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Al,
I like your style. Good report, and NO, you don't bore anyone with those pics going over the pass. The snow on the west slope at 4000 ft. is finally gone, but it lingers in big wads above 5500 ft. This year will go down as the year without a spring. We had one day of spring: May 30th it was sunny and in the 70's. That's it. It rained the 31st, and has been cloudy once more with rain expected tonight thru the next few days. By the 2nd week of June they expect more seasonal weather, the weather that usually arrives six weeks ago.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very good reporting and excellent photos. I've hadn't been to that neck of the woods and will have add this one to my bucket list.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting the photos and trip report Al. I like camping over at Spicer Meadow Reservoir, which is a few miles up the road. I like to Stargaze there. I remember going over Ebetts Pass in December 2008, even Tioga Pass was still open. I love Sequoia Trees, you never can grasp how big they really are until you walk by a fallen one.

Bob in Oakland, Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting. Looks like some very interesting places. I'll have to look up that Carson Iceburg wilderness and see if it really has iceburgs [emoticon] Everyone sees and reports things differently so go ahead and post even if someone else has done a trip report on a place [emoticon]

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

RenoAl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/10 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Yup. There are actually 2 passes: Ebbetts Pass at 8700 feet and Pacific Grade Summit at 8000 feet. The steep twisty part is on the east side of the Pacific Grade.

Don Curley

We were at the north grove a couple of years ago so this time we went to the south. I like the south better - more natural. Unfortunately the north grove, due to it's proximity to the road and the fact the south grove was private and pretty inaccessible until the 1950's, has seen more than it;s share of wierdness.

Jefe,

Yes this has been the spring that wasn't. On thu night just beforem we arrived there was 3 inches of snow at the park. We stayed at Pioneer on hwy 88 and were rained on all night. My hope now is we do not have a monster fire season with all the underbrush growth.

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

Travelon

Sierra Nevada Foothills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/10 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RenoAl wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Yup. There are actually 2 passes: Ebbetts Pass at 8700 feet and Pacific Grade Summit at 8000 feet. The steep twisty part is on the east side of the Pacific Grade.

Don Curley

We were at the north grove a couple of years ago so this time we went to the south. I like the south better - more natural. Unfortunately the north grove, due to it's proximity to the road and the fact the south grove was private and pretty inaccessible until the 1950's, has seen more than it;s share of wierdness.

Jefe,

Yes this has been the spring that wasn't. On thu night just beforem we arrived there was 3 inches of snow at the park. We stayed at Pioneer on hwy 88 and were rained on all night. My hope now is we do not have a monster fire season with all the underbrush growth.

x2 I live on the West Slope of the Nevada Sierra. The last one we went thru was Cleveland Fire, it is not to be taken lightly.

2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Calaveras Big Trees - lots of pictures.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.