|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Average campground costs for budgeting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I budget $25/night. Since the first of the year, I'm averaging about $12/night. That includes dry-camping between destinations and about 18 nights on the property of family and friends. I still travel and work and my preference is for government parks. Passport America is a help. Occasionally, I take advantage of weekly and monthly rates at commercial campgrounds. YMMV

RVn Full-time

letssay

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/10 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Corps of Engineers (COE) sites are always on or close to water so they are 'pretty' and well maintained. Costs are usually below $20 per night and half that if you have the 'old person' pass.

There's no place like home; that's why we take ours with us ">

Enjoy your day!
2005 36' Discovery DP
1 happy husband
1 cool dog (Bradley Yeahbutt) and
Dr. Baxxter Peabody PHD waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During the years, 2 1/2, that we were fulltiming I found that we could stay in western Colorado for about $450 a month plus electricity and about the same in Homosassa/Crystal River Florida. In Montrose Colorado we still spend a few months at a nice campground for the $450 rate plus elec.
When we were traveling and only staying a night or two at places, it was easy to spend over $1,000 a month on camp sites.
If I was budgeting for monthly stays again, I would use the figure of $500 a month plus electric. Think I could find something very comfortable in which to camp for that amount, especially away from the popular tourist areas of the country.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

CharlesTBetz

Minneapolis

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I've been on the internet since Usenet days. I have to say this is the most civilized and useful set of forums I've ever seen. This thread in particular is a gem - perhaps our moderators might add it to the FAQ?

Thanks all!

Charlie

rlewisics

northeast

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

similar topic clicky

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're 62 or older and don't already have a "geezer pass", get a lifetime one for $10 (or is it more now?) and stay in federal campgrounds for half price which can be as low as $5 in some places.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

Golden_HVAC

Fairview OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/10 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can spend a couple of weeks around Christmas and New Years for free at Slab City, Ajo, or many other free places, including Quartzsite AZ.

I even love spending time at places like Jawbone Canyon near Mojave, it is free and you can stay until the water tank runs dry. There is a full service campground down the road, fill up one day, and go back for 2 more weeks.

This works great if you have solar panels to keep the batteries full.

I spent about 600 nights dry camping during 2006 and 2007. This more than paid for a $3,000 solar system. I figure that I saved $10 a night.

I have some friends that joined The Escapee's club, and bought a membership in the Coarsegold RV park. They are at their new lot now. They can stay there for free anytime they want, only pay for electric and modum if they want it. Yearly dues is about $400 or so. When they are out of the park, then the management rent their site (and others) they don't get to keep the rent, but it goes into the overall park maintenance budget, so that brings down the cost for everyone.

You can also camp from one area to another, and expect to spend $25 - $35 at a private campground, or spend a little less at state and National Parks. It is really tough to budget for another family, especially if I don't have any idea what you like to do. Some like to travel from one campground to another, others hate the idea of being in a campground, like myself, and would rather be on a mesa, overlooking the Colorado river, 100 miles from the nearest camper. Well at least 200' away.

Outside of Moab is some of the best places to dry camp, I want to get back their soon.

Another place I found many good places to camp is this website. FreeCampgrounds.com It lists many places to dry camp, for free or very low cost. But still has what some consider "Helpful" parking areas, such as 'Bill's tire shop', allows parking in their lot overnight. I don't consider parking lots as camping, it might be overnighting, or finding a place to sleep, or something, but not camping.

A couple of times I have been driving across country, trying to get someplace, and the wind or other factors come into play, and I spend a night in a Wal Mart parking lot, but I would rather be in a small town, next to a church on a side street, or someplace really quiet, not a parking lot with delivery trucks dropping off stuff starting at 5 am.

Good Luck,

Fred.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/10 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a "used" campground membership for $200.00 plus $40.00 a yearly maintenance. ou can Google for good deals. Then for $80.00 a year each for C2C, RPI and AOR. I can stay for $10.00 a night. I also stay at COE or other federal parks for about $10.00 to $12.00 a night. Thus I live for $4,000 a year plus food and fuel. Total $10,000 to $12,000 a year.

Other full timers spend 3 to 6 times as much.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV2Go posted this yesterday:
IMO, Membership Parks are not for everyone. We are fulltime and it works great for us. We have been Western Horizons members for over 5 years. Just this past year (2009) we were in the "system" (WHR, AOR, ROD) for 335 nights at an average cost of $3.48 per night. Year to date for 2010, 74 days at $5.81 per day/night. If you do the math, it doesn't take long to recoup the purchase price.
If you buy a Membership, Try real hard to get ROD (Resorts of Distinction). Unlimited camping for $139 per year.
Another member posted;
As fulltimers the TT and CRA type memberships work well for us. We couldn't afford to fulltime if it weren't for them. Passport America is a no brainer. You gotta have it.
But.........if you decide that a membership park might be in your future, BUY IT FROM A PRIVATE PARTY OR BROKER AND NEVER FROM THE MEMBERSHIP PARK ITSELF.
You'll end up paying pennies on the dollar for the same membership that a park can offer you.
If you don't remember any thing else. REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!!!

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/10 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the same question in General RVing from a Pa resident.

However, I suspect you will average 15.00 per night , 365 nights after you pay your first months credit card bill. You WILL learn how to save money on parking.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Average campground costs for budgeting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.