RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Colorado Springs - must see places ..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Colorado Springs - must see places ..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/10 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

come on Oakman - where in the world did you get that picture ?

And I see you have not been to the great states of Washington/Oregon - really need to come out our way and see the beautiful Columbia River Gorge - and the Lewis & Clark parks ..

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/10 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoadXYZ wrote:

come on Oakman - where in the world did you get that picture ?

And I see you have not been to the great states of Washington/Oregon - really need to come out our way and see the beautiful Columbia River Gorge - and the Lewis & Clark parks ..

The picture was taken in Sep 2007. Go Fast, and energy drink, was sponsoring a B.A.S.E. event at Royal Gorge. Base Jumpers would parachute out of the gondola and others were bungee jumping off the bridge. If you’ve been to the bottom of the gorge you know that the base jumpers didn’t have much of a landing area. CRAZY!

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/10 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent two years in Colorado Springs in the 70's. It was a great town back then, went back last Oct and felt lost, everything had changed soo much. Every place talked about above is great, except i got tired of the NORAD tour every day(worked there). If you can go in the winter time Seven Falls is fantastic with snow on the ground, ice in the river, and seeing the trout swimming just under the surface. Manitou Springs used to be called the "Head town", you could buy "pot" and other items everywhere, it was the party town. [emoticon]

botts12

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/10 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are at Mueller State park now and have enjoyed the park as well as Colorado Springs. We also spent three days in Canon City at the Royal Gorge area. Took a full day white water rafting trip which was awesome. Did all the tourist things at Royal Gorge to include the cable car ride across the gorge. While here in Colorado Springs we visited the Florrisant National Monument which has huge fossilized red woods. Also the Air Force Academy (and rode our bikes through the academy on the Sante Fe Trail), drove to the top of Pike's Peak, went to the Garden of the Gods and Seven Falls. If you like hiking there are beautiful trails in Muller State Park. We like the area so much, we are planning to spend a month next summer.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/10 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air Force Academy, US Olympic Training Center. Both of these are free. Wanted to go up Pikes Peak to check out where the Unsers' race. Well you get a little ways up the road, and they have a toll booth. $12.00 per person. Using my fuel, my vehicle, no way. Did a u-turn and outta of there. If you are an Elks Lodge member, the Colorado Springs lodge has RV parking.

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/10 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stay at Cheyenne Mtn State Park. Go up Pikes Peak - drive is preferable but cog is fun. Garden of the Gods. AF Academy.

Forget the Royal Gouge as it was called when we lived in CO. Big tourist trap.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

JFG

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/10 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the time and money, try the Sunday Brunch Bufet at the Broadmore..... You will never experience anything like it anywhere.

Fred

cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/10 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobsallyh wrote:

Air Force Academy, US Olympic Training Center. Both of these are free. Wanted to go up Pikes Peak to check out where the Unsers' race. Well you get a little ways up the road, and they have a toll booth. $12.00 per person. Using my fuel, my vehicle, no way. Did a u-turn and outta of there. If you are an Elks Lodge member, the Colorado Springs lodge has RV parking.

The Pikes Peak road is a very high maintenance road and somebody has to pay for that! If you want to drive it - pay the price, if not then don't!

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/10 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been going to CS since I was a kid. Now I 65 I still li.ke to go, but prefer South Fork Co. (Fun Valley CG). i like the slower pace and just relaxation. when we are in the CS area, we stay at Diamond CG in Woodland Park Co.
Just go and look at all the pamphlets. flying W is a favorite, Garden of the Gods, the history of Cripple Creek, Pikes Peak cog. If you like to fish, you can go North of Woodland a few miles and come to Manitou lake. Its beautiful, and good fishing

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/10 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lauren wrote:

Stay at Cheyenne Mtn State Park. Go up Pikes Peak - drive is preferable but cog is fun. Garden of the Gods. AF Academy.

Forget the Royal Gouge as it was called when we lived in CO. Big tourist trap.

Yes, Royal Gorge is a tourist trap but the bridge does offer a great view of the gorge. The bridge wasn't built for transportation, instead it was built to bring tourists to the area so yes, it is a tourist trap. I enjoyed my trip to the gorge.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Colorado Springs - must see places ..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.