RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Colorado Springs - must see places ..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Colorado Springs - must see places ..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sp8gold

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/10 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not waste my time with 7 falls or cave of the winds. I would do the AF Academy, Olympic training center, Cheyenne Mtn Zoo and Will Rogers Shrine, lunch at the Broadmoor (walk around after lunch), Pikes Peak Cog, Cripple Creek, Colorado SPrings Museum,Royal Gorge dinner train ride, Flying W steakhouse and dinner show. Just to warm you up.

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/10 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can have your Royal Gorge rip-off. We drove the whole way back that cow path of a road to find out the park closed in 15 min. and they still wanted the full price to enter and take a couple photos. We bagged on it and rolled.

Pikes Peak Cog rail is cool! Nothing like that woozy feeling at the top, although my friend and I agreed it did remind us of that one time in trade school...never mind.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

JRMora

Back in Waverly Hall, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/10 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a **free** simple walk around don't forget Ute Valley Park and Palmer Park. Drive Hwy 83 up to Denver. The Renaissance Festival in Larkspur (only on weekends). Denver has some great attractions, too, and it's on 90 minutes or so to the center of town.

I lived and worked in the Springs for 9 years and worked in Denver for two. When I worked in Denver I lived in the Larkspur area. Much cooler than Denver.

Get out and enjoy!

BTW, the Rio Grande Gorge just west of Taos, NM on Hwy 64 is the 2nd deepest highway gorge bridge (~650') and it's FREE! You can park on the west side and walk out across the bridge. It's kind of an weird feeling when a semi drives over, though.

Juan

* This post was edited 06/12/10 07:36am by JRMora *

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD/4X4/DRW/6 Speed
2005 Cedar Creek 36RLTS

Truck: B&W, Prodigy, Line-X, MBRP, Pac Brake PRXB, Ride Rites, Onboard Air
Trailer: TrailAir, Onan 6500W LP, Dual AC, King Bed, Commercial TA's

My RV Photos

Us: Juan/Lyn/Nick/Quino/Rico (3 Boys!)

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/10 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday the sun came out and it was a photographer's dream kind of day .. thanx for all the information .. I even printed it out to show hubby .. we had a great day going from Manitou Springs up to Florissant Fossil Beds, thenn over to Cripple Creek to ride the Narrow Gauge RR up to the gold mines, and made the cirlce on up to Divide and over to Woodland Park then back to Manitou Springs.

As has happened b4 did not understand what you all were telling me until we arrived in the area .. Thank you again .. today will probably be Pike's Peak - as I did great with the altitude of 9494 at Cripple Creek, so should be able to go 1/2 way up at least. Having a great time -

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/10 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't stop half way; you should be fine for a short time up there. You DO NOT want to miss the view from the top!

Be safe.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/10 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YESSSSS - we made it to the TOP - what a view - and no I did not buy one of those shirt "Real Women Don't Need Guardrails" .. I like guardrails ! we were so happy that I was able to go to the top - we were not sure how my asthma would react to the 14,110 ft. Elevation.

Its spendy but we ate lunch at the top also. The drive was awesome and we stopped several times so both of us could enjoy the vistas. When we went thru the Mandatory Brake check we were ok - brakes were 150 degrees - the road constructin was bothersome, but didn't back up traffic.

R & R tomorrow then Saturday will be the Garden of the Gods.

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/10 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

God bless ya ............. good going ! I told you it was quite a view! (I owe you a PM).

At the brake check ours were 95° and the guy said, "You do a lot of mountain driving, don't you?" It was the lowest temp he had seen in a long time. And the trannie did not overheat at all.

mailman

Dixon, Mo, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/10 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have enjoyed all of the prior posts as they have been quite informative. DW, grandkids, and I have reservations for Estes Park and Pikes Peak areas 3-14 August, UGGH. I have determined that I have one major barrier to cross before making that trip. Weak ticker so I must get the blessing of my cardiologist before then. I noticed all the warnings in the visitors guides. Glad that I didn't wait till I got there to find out the hard way. If "Doc" says go and be careful, we'll make those reservations and just not go crazy. I am scheduled for a myriad of tests on 16 July. We'll see.

Don & Deb
US Army Retired (CW2)/US Postal Service Retired After 16 yrs
2011 Ford F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2 V8 4x4
2010 Keystone Cougar 26BHS
Ford In Dash Brake Control by Tekonsha
Hensley Arrow

Dashonthedash

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/10 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first time I visited Royal Gorge, many years ago, it was more of a park-type atmosphere, where you could leisurely walk across the bridge and enjoy the views. The second, and last, time I visited, they had turned it into a theme park, a tourist trap as others have said; literally ruined everything for me, even the views. Mueller State Park, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and the Air Force Academy are my favorite places in the area.

Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

texasjayco

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/10 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a lot has changed around the Springs area since I was there about 15 years ago!! The Royal Gorge was great then...as mentioned, you could ease around and walk across the bridge at your leisure. And there was no toll booth on the way up Pikes Peak!! What's up with that??

Too bad, we were planning to go back next summer but may have to reconsider now.

Mark

2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel Dually

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Colorado Springs - must see places ..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.