|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tire valve extenders

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
steve781

New England

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/02 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed some small marks on the extenders right where it hits the tire rim. I took some duct tape and wrapped the extender to protect it from the force if the rims metal corner. Can't really see it since the extenders and the rims are all about the same color.

Steve
2001 31' Four Winds Hurricane Class A 30Q / Ford V-10
Toad: 2004 Honda Element EX 4WD
Aventa II tow bar
Brake Buddy

Kayo

Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/02 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tee problem with finding solid stems seems to be that truck tires have a larger hole in the rim than the rims obn my P-30 chassis (using 235/85/16 tires)

alf5099

Chandler, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/03 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned two motorhomes (Fleetwood Pace Arrow and Monaco diesel)with the braided stainless steel valve extenders, and both have leaked around the crimp area of the hose. In fact I just removed them again and was going to replace them, but have now decided to install straight steel valve extenders (5" for my coach). You should be able to do the same thing, just measure the length you need. The straight steel extenders can be purchased at most truck supply stores. Hope this helps.

Al Ferguson
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40'

*This Message was edited on 11-Apr-03 10:24 PM by alf5099*

alf5099

Chandler, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/03 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,

You can get the straight steel valve extenders at truck parts store for about $8 each. They come in several lengths mine took 5".

Rich D.

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/03 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alaskan,

Well said! Anyone who has not had trouble yet, will at some time. Your comment; "I have used, for many years now, a 10" solid extension and a screw driver type nut runner to remove the valve cap. Screw the extension on, check or add pressure, remove the extension and reinstall cap." is great idea. I'm going to get an extra nut driver and keep it with the extension and the tire guage, in the toolbox where they belong. Thanks for the tip.
Rich D.
'99 Blue Bird
Wanderlodge LXi 43'

cwmr

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/03 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am using a hard rubber valve extender I bought from PepBoys for my back dual tires. I noticed an odd noise in my right outer back tire at both slow and high speed. It sounds like a creaking sound at slow speed. At high speed it sounds like a ticking sound, almost like the sound of a cicada (insect). It is not an embedded stone on the tire or anything sticking out of the tire because I looked carefully. The sound seems to appear as the part of the tire where I attach the valve extender touches the ground. I wonder if anyone have the same experience. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

cwmr

Rob36

St. Lucie West , FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Alaskan ,

I appreciate your comments regarding the way you air tires without extentions!

Your posts says you use a NUT DRIVER, as I call it, to remove the stem valve cap!

Normally valve stem caps are rounded and are finger tight!

Do all RV tire stems have a nut type valve stem cap, that allows the NUT DRIVER to be used! If so is there a standard size! like 3/8" etc!
thanks
rob

Alaskan Says:
I have used, for many years now, a 10" solid extension and a screw driver type nut runner to remove the valve cap. Screw the extension on, check or add pressure, remove the extension and reinstall cap.

Rob N8RT and Peg WB4LRD
Maggie Sue Papillion

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love to live dangerously. I have been Rving since 1969 and have driven with the gas on so I have cold food, I have had tires extenders on all MHs, and I have had very few problems with my Fleetwoods that I have owned.

1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Alaskan

Nancy Lake, Alaska OR Mission, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used aircraft style valve caps which take a 3/8 "nut runner". However, one can purchase the octagon type valve stem caps (dust covers) at most any parts house / tire shop...in most any color and even chrome plated. There are some available that are obviously metric sized which makes no difference as long as you have a nut runner that fits them. My neighbor, at the moment, watched me checking my tires yesterday and within the hour had his own setup like mine. These caps are "dust covers" only so I would urge caution not to overtighten. I use a nut runner for reaching the inside dual cap only, not for tightness / torque. Good luck... [emoticon]

Now then, maybe you can share info on how to get a picture in your signature block on this forum???

*This Message was edited on 13-Apr-03 12:58 PM by Alaskan*

Happy Motoring
Butch & Sharon
2000 Diplomat
1999 Grand Vitara+ toad

Rob36

St. Lucie West , FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/03 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Alaskan, thanks for the info!
All I did was find the Pictures I liked by doing a search, then put the pictures on a web site, (in my case my web site) then go to profile and put in the website address where you pasted the pictures!
I hope that helps?
rob
Ps sorry for the delay in answering!
rob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tire valve extenders
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.