RV.Net Open Roads Forum: First Trip This Summer - 15 days to Yellowstone and Back

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> First Trip This Summer - 15 days to Yellowstone and Back

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/10 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Got home just a little after 12 pm today, 3 July. Had a safe trip, had a great time, enjoyed ourselves greatly. Our daughter, son-in-law and grandson seemed to have had a great time as well. We were very happy they asked us along on their adventure.

Three days to get up to Tetons from Tucson, camped near Sunset Crater National Mon't just north of Flagstaff the first day, camped just south and east of Provo, UT second night both forest service campgrounds. 3rd day we camped at Colter Bay campground in Grand Teton Nat'l Park; stayed two nights and explored the place via their Santa Fe.

Stayed 5 days at Grant Village Campground in Yellowstone and drove all over the place, many hundreds of miles via the Santa Fe. Cool days and kind of cold nights with only a day or two with a little rain in morning or evening.

Saw about 5 Bears, many Bison and Elk, but no Moose and lots of forest and geysers as well as some neat birds: White Pelicans, Ravens, Grey Jays, Luis Nutcrackers and Ospreys to name a few.

Their rented Aliner hardsided pop up trailer worked very well for them. The heater in it work well, if the battery was charge well. They figured out how to just hook it up to the Santa Fe and used it's battery when the other was not charged enough.

We returned a different route, Yellowstone to the Flaming Gorge area in Utah just south of Rock Spring, WY was a long trip. Forest Service Campground. Second leg was to Colorado Nat'l Mon't above Fruita, Colorado near Grand Junction. Third leg was to Mesa Verde Nat'l Mon't via Silverton and Durango, which was a mistake the cost was too high for a quick stop and the road was being worked on and was a mess. Fourth leg was to Show Low and Pinetop-Lakeside area in the White Mountains of Arizona, another long day on the road. We did get some good Bar-B-Que there at Grumpy Jake's. We stayed at a Forest Service campgound at Lakeside.

We parted from them after spending the night there. They went back to Tucson in a pretty quick hop. We headed east to New Mexico. While in the Apache-Sitgraves Nat'l Forest we saw more elk than any other place, at least 50 or so in one big group. We stopped at City of Rocks State Park between Silver City and Deming, NM for one more night before drive home this morning.

Wow! Sooooo much in such a short time. What a Great Time! [emoticon] These Little Fiberglass Trailers are just Great!

Oh, Yes. 2503.9 miles according to the trip odometer and seems the Ford F-150 averaged about 17 MPG. We did very little driving without the trailer. Mainly to get water in for the trailer via 26 gal. reserve tank in the pickup. The shower came in handy, our little grandson had his nightly bath (shower) in the Scamp. Often with no showers in the campgrounds, all four grownups used the shower in the mornings. For our son-in-law, it was a tight fit in our shower (6'3" makes it a little hard to fit in these little guys). But he enjoyed the showers. The Coleman Back Cat heater worked well on the cold mornings and at times before getting ready for bed when we could not use the electric cube heater (not be able to use the generator).

Added later: Our Trip in PIctures

* This post was last edited 09/02/10 11:40am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

summerhouse

Big Rapids, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/10 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a wonderful trip!! We are planning a yellowstone trip for next summer, 2011. We love travelling with our married kids & grandkids. Last week in July we are doing the Upper Pennisula of Michigan for 10 days with them.

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

shoe777

AR

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/10 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds like a wonderful trip! We have one planned in September for Colorado and Wyoming. Can't wait! Thanks for sharing.

DH, Myself
and 5 Fur Balls

jamieline

Milton VT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/10 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great trip. We are going to Yellowstone in mid Aug and staying at Grant Village also.
Just wondering what to expect. Our first trip to Yellowstone.

I unsderstand the site will be assigned when we get there, any problems? We are staying in West Yellowstone the night before and plan on being at the campground early.

Thanks for any help,

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/10 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did not make one Reservation for the Whole Trip and not one problem. Yes, they did assign spot for us, but had them very close together. Grant is a large places, lots of sites. All pretty nice it seems, but close together somewhat. I was wanting to try Canyon, but my son-in-law wanted to use Grant. Sites ok, but who might be next to you can make or break a site.

We got to the campground at about 8 AM, but check out isn't till 11 AM. But some were leaving. The lady was very helpful and found two sites and paid for one day. Then we were to come back around noon to check in for the other 4 nights. Worked out well. We spent time at West Thumb Geyser Basin and then went and had showers.

We were in Yellowstone last year in early August and it was much more crowded. We had no problem finding a site in Mammoth. Here is a link for our Aug 2009 Trip: Our Quick Visit To Yellowstone

Our Trip in Pictures

* This post was last edited 07/04/10 02:27pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/10 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From last year, Saw a few horses at T. Roosevelt Nat'l Park south unit in North Dakota. They came into the campground along with some Bison as well as being along some parts of the loop road.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Bison in Custer SP:
[image]

[image]
Around a Bend -July 2006
Black Hills Central Railroad 1880 Train

We had also stopped at the Teddy Roosevelt Nat’l Park North Unit near Watford, ND for a night around July 19-2009. We had been there last year, but this year we found the first 6 or 7 miles from the entrance was under construction, very dusty and slow going. But we got to see many Bison. It was very quite there, overall we enjoyed it a lot. Should be a nice roadway this coming season.

[image]
Juniper Campground - very nice, very quite!

[image]
Clifts in shadows

[image]
Little Missouri River

[image]
One of Many Bison

[image]
Traffic Jam at T R's

[image]
Camp Site in Morning Light

[image]
Were should I take a Dust Bath this morning?

[image]
Bison near PicNic area & RV dump site.

[image]
Dust Bath Area by Pic Nic area

Buffalo Bill State Park Headquarters, nine miles west of Cody on US Highway 14-16-20. The majestic peaks of the Absaroka Mountains dominate the scenery. We drove by this lake & campgrounds last Aug-2009.

Yellowstone has neat things to see as well of course:

[image]
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone -Falls

[image]
Black Bear

[image]
Yellowstone Lake near Fishing Bridge Area

[image]
Bison -Hayden Valley

[image]
Mammoth Campground Yellowstone

[image]
Devil's Tower July 2006
The day before it was 100 degrees or better up in this North Country, but it cooled down at night there. We are leaving the campground/park.

GA MOM

North Ga

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/10 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm so glad you had such a good trip. I viewed your photos and they were terrific! I'd love to plan a trip like that for our family!

Thanks for sharing.

Ga Mom and family">

tinaka613

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/10 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

summerhouse wrote:

Sounds like a wonderful trip!! We are planning a yellowstone trip for next summer, 2011. We love travelling with our married kids & grandkids. Last week in July we are doing the Upper Pennisula of Michigan for 10 days with them.

We are also starting the planning process for a summer 2011 trip to Yellowstone from Michigan. It'll be our first long camping trip (usually we do Michigan State Parks). I'd love to hear about your planned route/itinerary.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> First Trip This Summer - 15 days to Yellowstone and Back
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.