RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full timing to avoid property taxes! Texas - Advice/tips?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full timing to avoid property taxes! Texas - Advice/tips?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering purchasing about 10 acres of non-restricted land out in the boondocks. We are going lay out several large pieces of pressure treated lumber on the ground to make a "pad" (or large stepping stones.

We are going to have power run to this "pad", and drill a well & septic system.

Since we have 5 children, we are considering buying several large RV's, and "retrofitting" them together so that we can walk in and out of each RV without having to leave "the indoors". Perhaps even up to 3.

As far as I understand it, the appraisal districts can't give you a property tax on anything with wheels that can be towed or drive. Is this true?

I know the land can be taxed, but it will be at $30 a year because it is rural/AG.

So any tips, advice, thoughts.... All appreciated. Thanks

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you have to have something on the property, ie., animals, hay pasture, etc) for it to be rated as "ag" for tax purposes. Just because it's in the boonies doesn't mean it will be rated as "ag".

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a large, possibly a repoed mobile home (double wide, etc) rather than going to the trouble/expense of putting RVs together? My SIL just sold her double wide for about $5,000 for someone to put on some acreage, so there are deals out there. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get the name of the guy who bought it from them as he's in the business of buying used & repoed mobile homes.

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mountain Mama wrote:

I believe you have to have something on the property, ie., animals, hay pasture, etc) for it to be rated as "ag" for tax purposes. Just because it's in the boonies doesn't mean it will be rated as "ag".

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a large, possibly a repoed mobile home (double wide, etc) rather than going to the trouble/expense of putting RVs together? My SIL just sold her double wide for about $5,000 for someone to put on some acreage, so there are deals out there. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get the name of the guy who bought it from them as he's in the business of buying used & repoed mobile homes.

No because our real issue is to avoid paying property taxes. Here in Texas they are insanely high unless you either have RURAL land or AG.

A mobile home is attached to the ground and considered a house. But an RV has wheels & is ready to be towed or driven. We'd just have several of them to live in [emoticon]

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the property appraiser comes out to see your "Home" and property, they will see that they are connected and not ready to drive off. I think you're flirting with problems with this and the "ag/rural" tax situation.

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Mama....you are flirting with problems......just pay the taxes.....

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

skylos

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its just a shack at that point. If they want to restrict a shack (the structure between your RVs) then they're going to have to find the restriction that allows them to do so. If its unrestricted land, there isn't much chance of that.

But wait a minute, how can land be unrestricted *and* be rural/ag? rural/ag makes it sound like its zoned. Which would indicate there are restrictions on its use. Unrestricted land would be, well, unclassified.

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's amazing how much work, effort and money some people put into trying to avoid something that will not be that big of a deal anyways. If you put a trailer or modular on the land the taxes can't be that much out in the sticks anyways. We don't get charged state income tax or alot of the BS taxes a lot of states charge like Head tax, Occupational wage tax, etc. So you got sales tax and and property tax. Be sure to apply for the Homestead discount. I doubt the taxes on your land and a trailer will be that much. Think on how much more comfortable and eye appealing a double wide will look compared to a bunch of TT's bolted together.

14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

safeman

Sherman TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a rural Texas property with a double wide mobile home on it. A mobile home has a book value just like a car. It also depreciates in value just like a car. Each year our property taxes actually go down.
The acreage has cattle on it for the agricultural exemption.

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lol I live in the "boonies" on my own land, it is rated "ag exempt" and I have a dog. You can do that for 5 years, THEN you must either have livestock or lose the exemption. LOL my dog dont count either !

What county are you looking at? Some actually charge for rvs and the lawyer cost more than the taxes to fight it.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/10 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you choose today might not be the same in 5 years. I've experienced a few myself, including a taste of fulltiming. I'm 70, and I might change one more time. I've yet to figure out a way of doing it without paying taxes.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full timing to avoid property taxes! Texas - Advice/tips?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.