RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full timing to avoid property taxes! Texas - Advice/tips?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full timing to avoid property taxes! Texas - Advice/tips?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cruiserjs

Mesa AZ/ openroad

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/10 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I worked in CO one of my jobs was to help landowners (smaller acreages) qualify for AG exemptions. To qualify you must have some kind of "crop" - stock,hay, whatever. My particular area was reforestation/ tree farms. The point is - you have to be "raising" some "ag" product. Once the property was qualified by way of my certification I was obligated to make an annual inspection and report to the county assessor that the "crop" was still there and growing.
Also here while the trailer does not incur property tax but we do pay annual "personal property" tax.

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Elk Oil

Northern NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/10 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John&Joey wrote:

So is the real intent to save money, or just to "challenge" the system?

Up here in the county assessors office they have a "wall of shame" which is nothing more then an array of pictures of what people have attempted to do so as not to pay property taxes. The one picture that comes to mind is the old beatup RV's in a barn. They were living in the RV's yet attempting to say the land was AG and still in development at that point in time. They came down pretty hard on them as I was told.

Tax assessors (at least up here) don't take kindly to being made a fool of. If a place has a vent stack, and doesn't move in six months, they're going to call it a residence in most cases.

This brings up a good point. In a small town where EVERYone knows you and what you're doing, you stand to earn the resentment of all your townfolk. This will have ramifications for your kids in school, credibility at town meetings and your general acceptance by others who won't enjoy having you thumb your nose at them as you get away without contributing to your community like they are.

I live in a town of 370 people and believe me, everyone has to pitch in to make things work. There are civic opportunities, volunteer programs and social gatherings that we all take advantage of to varying degrees.

Trust me on this point: when you live in a small town, a sense of community is critical. It's far better to be a part of it than stand apart from it.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/10 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are you posting in the fulltimers forum? You don't want to fulltime in ANY sense of the word - just use the trailers to try and circumvent the zoning in whatever county you are looking to move to.

I do hope that you will not use any county services while you are there - no fire, police, EMT, libraries, schools, hospitals, etc. Because in Texas it is the property taxes that pay for those services.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/10 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I equate the taxes we pay today to "death by 1000 cuts"...... I admire anyone willing to do whatever it takes to hold on to as much of their hard-earned cash as possible! Go for it!!!!

Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full timing to avoid property taxes! Texas - Advice/tips?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.