|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hornet Reservoir, Idaho

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/10 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent the last few days at Hornet Res located about 15 miles WNW of Council Idaho. By road it is about 30 miles. 10 miles asphalt, 10 gravel and 10 rock/dirt!!! The last couple miles takes an hour!!!

This is the roughest road I've ever had a TC combo on including MaGruder Corridor!!

[image]

[image]

The pics do not so it justice on how rough and steep it was!!

[image]

YAHOO!!! 3 Wheelin!!! [emoticon]

[image]

Didn't do the boat carrier much good though!!

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Finally started dropping down to the lake.

[image]

Got my camp set up.

[image]

And the view from camp.

[image]

[image]

Here is my mean green fishing machine ready to go to work!!

[image]

Fishing was super. Trout were running 13-15". Then it happened!!! While releasing a fish my rod and reel slipped over the edge into the deep blue sea. This is the 2ND outfit I've lost out of this little boat. The other one is at the bottom of Stanley Lake. [emoticon] So back to Sportsman's Warehouse for another Daiwa pack rod. I made the purchase after carefully considering a Spiderman outfit that FLOATED!!! [emoticon] I am going to zip tie a lanyard on this one!!!

Since fishing is now off the agenda I took a hike down to Lower Hornet Res. The trail dead ends into the water.

[image]

There is no access around the lake anywhere being so overgrown. I don't think there is any fish in it anyway as it goes dry often. Pretty little lake though.

[image]

There were several other campers at the lake. Tent campers in Jeeps and quads. They all had the same question. "How in the heck did you get that thing down here"? I had fun with that!!!

Anyway, all my recent mods worked very well including the repair jobs holding up from my last trip!! The new Engel cooler worked exceptionally well. I will never have another propane fridge!!!

OK, time to pack up and head home. I am concerned about climbing back out over one part of the road. Sharp turn to the right and even though the pic doesn't show it, pretty steep with lots of loose rock.

[image]

As soon as I got to the steep part I realized my concerns were valid. No go, just wheel hopped. You know that feeling in your stomach when things like this happen!!! OK, DJ, calm down and try it again. This time with a bit more run. Nope!! Not gonna happen.

I've been over this road before on a quad and knew it was bad. Cussing myself now for trying it before I get my lockers and/or winch!!!

Then it dawned on me!!! Let more air out of the tires!!!! [emoticon]

I aired them down until they looked good and soft. The truck still jumped around quite a bit looking for traction but I made it!! [emoticon]

All in all it was a lot of fun. No hornets, just a couple horse flies and some skeeters!!

I am extremely happy with the F150. This is the kind of stuff I wanted to start doing in getting rid of the dually. Now even more anxious to finish modding my truck!!! [emoticon]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 100 (so far) watts solar.

xnorp

Spokane Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/10 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DJ great trip report and pictures. Thanks for sharing that is what the camper is all about right there good job.
xnorp

2000 F-250 SD PS 04 Snowriver 9'6" Rancho 9000X Super Springs Vision 19.5 w/Toyo M608Z

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/10 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bummer about the rod. I always bring two Because I have broken one in half on a snag.Nice looking lake & thats my kind of fishing, except I don't think my dually would make it back there.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/10 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice DJ - way to show us that a dually a giant TC is not the only answer. But I still bet you miss the big rig once in awhile. [emoticon]

Good work!

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/10 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks really nice -- and the road looks worse than the one to Toroweap.

Cal

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/10 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure something would break if I got one of my front wheels off the ground with my camper on!

If this is what you'll do without a winch and open difs, what are you going to do when you're all set up?

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/10 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like another place to put on my list.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/10 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice report and pics!!!

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/10 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fuelhauler wrote:

Bummer about the rod. I always bring two Because I have broken one in half on a snag.Nice looking lake & thats my kind of fishing, except I don't think my dually would make it back there.

I try to bring 4 or more fishing rods because my wife likes to fish [emoticon].

Great TC adventure!

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/10 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite an outing! You say the photos don't show how steep the road really was but those first two pix sure look steep enough to me [emoticon]

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hornet Reservoir, Idaho
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.