RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Where Do You Get Water?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Where Do You Get Water?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new to TT camping, having camped in a class B for the last 4 years or so. So far we've stayed in parks with restroom/shower facilities, so water hookups and tankage was never an issue. If you are going to a location where you know there are no hookups, where/how do you fill water tanks before arriving. I'm not too keen on the idea of filling at home and adding another 300 lbs to my tow weight, not to mention the mechanical stress of 37 gallons of water sloshing around while towing. Obviously being stuck without water is an issue. This is the case with most of the NP campgrounds. We always carry bottle/jug water for drinking and cooking, but that doesn't cover washing, bathing, etc..

2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

*smiles* fill the tank at home. I've not had any problems doing so. The additional weight won't be much noticed unless you are over the proper limit for your tow weight, and you will not see a difference in your fuel mileage either.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

nadkaw1957

Reno

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/10 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always fill the fresh water tank at home before I go. It has never been an issue for me. I also empty my holding tanks when I get home. My storage facility provides a free dump station, something that is becoming rare at campgrounds around here - if they have one at all.

2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

robbie69

wauconda, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For local trips i fill up at home. Have never been anywhere that water was not avaible somewhere. For longer trips i carry maybe 1/4 tank and fill up before setting up=if it's a longer stay w/o hookups i have a 32gal barker tote and a 40 gal poly bag for fresh. Have stayed ar some remote places(energy lake-LBL Ky.) where i have hooked up and drove to dump/fill up(why i got the tote/bag)
Also invested in a good filter(ceremac/charcoal) for places with questionable water. Local i(and critters) drink out of the tank(DW dies not)on farther trips we all drink bottled water(cheap aldi stuff usually)

2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me

JFG

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/10 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill at home.... you will never notice the difference.... every national park that I've been to has potable water somewhere.

Fred

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose a couple of collapsable 5 gal containers might be a good investment. I may even have one left over from my van camping days. I also plan to get a Barker Tote, not for hauling drinking water, but to dump tanks without having to move in the places that do not have a sewer connection.

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always fill at home and keep water in the tank when on the road. Water definitely is needed for toilet flushing and other uses on the road. No point in getting the hose out just for overnight. Even in a park with full hookups and staying long term, I keep water in the tank in case of nighttime hose freeze. With a 40 gallon tank full, you're talking a little over 320 pounds. A pittance when compared to a trailer weight of 7000-8000 lbs. Also, a full or nearly full tank doesn't slosh around much at all.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

bigc3031

Grand Rapids, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/10 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was towing with my 1/2 ton gasser the weight made a lot of difference, my tank weighed 500lbs full. I went empty a lot and filled up at the campground. I filled up with a 5 gallon tank and after getting sick of holding it up while it drained into the trailer I bought a utility pump from Home Depot, it emptied that 5 gallon bucket in about a minute!

Now that I have my diesel the 500lbs of water isn't a problem and I can now enjoy the water I am used too.

I strongly recomend you get a filter and a pressure regulator if you decide to use campground hookups BTW, the water can be pretty nasty and full of sediment.

2009 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Diesel
Springdale 291RKSSR
Wife and 2 pugs to travel the world with.

Jimehc

Taylorsville, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your trailer weight has already taken into account your filled weight - water, propane, etc..

Fill-up at home...

Keith M

Cle Elum

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/10 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Truck stops are a good place as are some gas stations. You might want to consider carrying at least 75 feet of hose and a "water thief". I have also gotten water from dump stations using my hose from the "not drinking water" faucet. Once you get to an area you can ask established campers where they get water. I carry 3-4 7 gallon jugs to supplement my tank. Some boondockers will of course pump water straight from a creek or river into their tanks. Typically they will have a fairly decent filtration set up and may use bottled water for drinking.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Where Do You Get Water?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.