RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Slideout jammed while camping (Jayco 32BHDS)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Slideout jammed while camping (Jayco 32BHDS)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
chilipyro

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/10 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having the slideout break while camping has always been one of my fears - especially with my current trailer, where I have never been able to get a straight answer as to how you access the manual override. Well, it happened last week, while camping on the Cape (Cape Cod, MA). The slide can be stuck in or out, and I have always thought it was worse to get stuck out. As it turns out, there are disadvantages to both.

What happened to me was that we arrived at the campground - about mid day - and found that the rear slide (kids bedroom) could not be extended. You could hear the motor running, but nothing was moving. We arrived on our first day of a week long vacation and, while the back bedroom could be used with the slide in, it was very awkward to use the space - definitely not something we would enjoy putting up with for a week. With the enclosed underbelly, there was no way to see what was going on. We tried pulling from the outside and pushing from the inside, but nothing would unjam it. I had renewed the free year of Coach Net that came with the trailer, and the trailer was still within the two year warranty. Plus, our dealer has always provided us with great service. It was a weekday, everyone was open, so I started making phone calls - CoachNet first.

CoachNet answered the phone right away, and had a technician call me back within 20 min. The technician gathered details of the problem, and determined that there was nothing that he could advise me of over the phone. In addition (and here is one disadvantage I discovered with the slide being stuck in rather than out), because the slide was in, I was technically not 'stranded', and therefore this was not a problem that would be handled by CoachNet. If the slide were stuck out and I was unable to travel, THEN they would have sent someone out to help me get it back in. But, since it was in, the best they could offer was a suggestion to tow the trailer to the nearest RV service location and have them fix it under Jayco's warranty. He also suggested that I call the dealer and/or Jayco.

Next call - the dealer (Van's RV in South Windsor, CT). Again, I was able to speak with someone in service right away. The dealer's service rep said that they would help me find someone to come out to my site and fix the problem, and would take care of the cost either directly or as a reimbursement. She gave me the phone number of someone that they have worked with before on the cape.

Call #3. I called the number I got from the dealer - an RV repair business on the Cape. I got voicemail, and it was starting to get late in the day - 4:30. I'm resolved that we will be spending the night with the slide in, but still hoping to get something arranged for a fix before everyone goes home at 5:00. About 5:15, the guy from the RV repair business calls back. It's a one man shop and he will be out of town the next day, and is swamped with repairs. The soonest he could get out is the day we will be leaving. He suggests calling Jayco.

Call #4 - the dealer again. It is after 5:00, the phones have already been forwarded to voice mail. I leave a message explaining what is going on. I don't expect a call back until the next day, but at 8pm I get one. The service rep was in taking care of some paperwork, saw that there were messages, and returned my call (REALLY love Van's). Two more suggestions - 1) check with the campground to see if they have anyone local to handle RV repairs that they would provide a number for 2) call the dealer back in the morning and see if their shop tech can give me some things to try.

The kids slept in the back and didn't mind the tight space. The one problem was that we had placed an empty cooler on the lower bunk for travel, and it was too wide to fit through the narrow space left with the slide in. So, one of the kids had to sleep with the cooler on the bed. OK for a night, but would have been a PITA to deal with for a week.

The next morning... Called the dealer back and was passed on to their service tech. I explained what was going on, and that the enclosed underbelly meant I could not access the motor and the manual slideout extension mechanism. But, he knew the trailer and told me about an access panel that I did not know about. Just under the exterior storage area, an area of the underbelly had a section of underbelly plastic attached with screws. That was the information I needed to start looking at things myself.

The repair ... access panel off, I could see the motor and manual override shaft (with a 5/16" hex head that I was certain I could drive with my 18V drill, if necessary). I tried turning the shaft with a socket wrench, but it was jammed. I had my wife engage the motor switch inside, and could see that the motor was turning, and the gears that should have engaged the slide out were turning as well. Even the manual override shaft was turning. Sill, the slideout was not moving. There were a couple of bolts that attached the whole motor assembly to the slideout shaft. I removed those and was able to lift off the motor assembly. The motor assembly was joined to the slideout shaft with a key and slot mechanism. Nothing seemed broken there, and the jamming of the manual override shaft (which was part of the motor assembly) was gone. My heart sunk, as I figured the problem must be deep in the slideout shaft and there would be no way for anyone to repair this on site. I reattached the motor. Then I noticed something, with the motor attached again, the manual override shaft seemed to turn OK. I gave it a bunch of turns with the socket, and my wife confirmed that the slideout was moving out. I tightened the motor bolts and had my wife engage the motor switch - hooray! The slide extended. I left the panel off until we were ready to pack up at the end of our trip, just in case the same thing happened when it came time to pull the slide in. But, the slide mechanism worked fine after that - and has worked flawlessly several times since then, at home.

My take on what happened is that the key somehow jumped out of the slot on the slideout shaft. I'm a bit worried that this is a condition that will happen again, but at least now I am confident that I know how to access the slideout override. I also know who to call and what my options will be. The dealer also recommended that I bring the trailer in for service, so they can look for a reason that the mechanism jammed. I spent a day of our vacation dealing with the problem, but at least I was dealing with it in a beautiful place where the kids and their mom had plenty to do.

2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS, 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crew Max w/tow package, Michelin LTX/AT2 275/65 R18, Load range E., Rancho 9000XL shocks, Air Lifts, Hensley Arrow hitch

robbie69

wauconda, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem-the cup looking thing(that stops in movement was loose/out of adjustment) My slide would come in-but too far and jam. I could go to the motor and give it a few turns manually(b4 i adjusted it) and it would work fine. Now when i bring in either slide, after it stops, i momentairly hit the out just enough to take some of the pressure off the mechinisim(can't spell)and has worked fine for several yrs now. Noticed on mine alot of the slide adjustments(on both) were either loose or just plain wrong.

2004 silverado 2500HD crew cab 4x4 long bed 8.1L gas hog
2006 skyline nomad 3260 platium edition, prodigy, reese dual cam
1 very part time camping son and 3 full time camping, 4 legged fur balls
1 SU (spousal unit) who loves rv'in as much or more than me

harper223

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Chili,

I traded in my 32BHDS for an Eagle 303rks, but I had the same problem on the bunkhouse slide too. The first time I encountered problems was I would hear a bunch of clicking and turning, but no slide movement. One time I had my wife put her weight on the carpet edge (the edge of the slide room on the inside of the bunkhouse) and the slide came out. That first time it was a battery problem. I checked the battery for the TT and there was no water in it. It was fried- and that was my fault for not doing battery maint.

The second time while the side would move in and out, I would hear loud popping noises about every 3 seconds during slide travel. Took it to the dealer and they said everything was 'dirty', whatever that means- but it fixed the problem.

I never had trouble with the front living room slide at all, just the BH slide. I have talked to several other 32BHDS owners and they complain of the same BH slide problems. Have you had any trouble with the front living room slide?

"Whatever is good to know, is difficult to to learn."

robbie69

wauconda, il usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harper223 wrote:

The second time while the side would move in and out, I would hear loud popping noises about every 3 seconds during slide travel. Took it to the dealer and they said everything was 'dirty', whatever that means- but it fixed the problem.

If it's a lippert, go to their site, under 'lip sheets' #0003 i beleive(gear pack lube) and give it a shot-did wonders for mine-runs like new(or better) I'd get the clicking(like when it reaches end of travel) grinding and groaning. Was so bad I was almost embarassed to operate it and saw big $$ repair bills in my future. for $15-20 (for oil/good pump can) it made a world of difference. I do at open/close of season and when i think about it during the season.

ps found it-here's the link
I also give the rear rollers a shot but nothing else.

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chillypro, This is my biggest fear. When I bought my 32BHDS I asked the service personel about manualy operating the slide, he told me I couldn't because the underbelly was sealed. If possible could you post a photo of where the access panel is? Thanks, Joe

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 3 dogs
2004 Ford Excursion LTD 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears, Hellwig Swaybar, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Super Duty Tow Mirrors
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.">

chilipyro

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/10 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

usmc616 wrote:

Chillypro, This is my biggest fear. When I bought my 32BHDS I asked the service personel about manualy operating the slide, he told me I couldn't because the underbelly was sealed. If possible could you post a photo of where the access panel is? Thanks, Joe

Sure. I didn't snap one of the motor with the panel removed, but it was very open underneath, and the motor was very accessible (with the panel removed). There was no insulation in this area (surprisingly).

[image]

[image]

chilipyro

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/10 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harper223 wrote:

I never had trouble with the front living room slide at all, just the BH slide. I have talked to several other 32BHDS owners and they complain of the same BH slide problems. Have you had any trouble with the front living room slide?

This is the first problem we have had with either slide. One thing I have wondered about is that the edge of the floor tilts up almost two inches when the slide is fully retracted. This happens on both slides, but the front slide only does it about a half inch. Bouncing down the road, I would think that the pitch of the slideout would result in a significant outward force on the slide shaft. Not sure if that would explain a common problem with the rear slide on this model. I don't know if all 32BHDS slides tilt up like mine, and have never heard of others in a 32HBDS (before today) that have experienced a similar slide failure.

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too notice more of an upward tilt on my rear slide when retracted than my front slide. After taking possession of my TT I started using a mobile rv repair company for some of my upgrades and I asked them about manually opening the slide and they told me they haven't had any 32bhds with slide problems so they did not know the procedure either.

For the future what tools should I pack in case I need to open the slide manually?

chilipyro

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/10 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

usmc616 wrote:

I too notice more of an upward tilt on my rear slide when retracted than my front slide. After taking possession of my TT I started using a mobile rv repair company for some of my upgrades and I asked them about manually opening the slide and they told me they haven't had any 32bhds with slide problems so they did not know the procedure either.

For the future what tools should I pack in case I need to open the slide manually?

Minimally, you'll get by with things you probably already have - a Philips head screwdriver to remove the screws holding the panel in (square head would be better), and a socket wrench set to turn the manual override shaft. My repair required a crescent wrench set to remove the motor assembly. If you actually had to open the slide with a socket wrench though, it would probably drive you mad. If I remember correctly, it takes about 25 turns to get the slide to move 1/4 inch.

I carry a DeWalt high torque cordless drill (DC759KA) that I bought for cranking open the pop-up camper, when we camped in that. It now gets use cranking the stabilizers and setting the weight distribution tension on my Hensley hitch. If I had to crank out the slide, I think a drill with that much power would be just the thing to make it a painless procedure. The drill was also nice to have for removing and inserting the dozen or so screws that held the panel in. They weren't hard to remove, but being upside down it is better if you have something to make the screw removal go quickly. If you are going to use a drill to operate the manual slide-out, you'll need some kind of attachment to drive your sockets from the drill. I believe it was a 5/16" socket, but am not sure.

usmc616

Orange County, New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/10 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked under my TT and now I see the access panel. There also is one behind the front door I guess for the front slide. I probably already have all the tools I need already in the TT except the high speed drill, will have to add that and the socket adapter.

Ispent a lot of time TT shopping before we bought this one and one thing I remember on almost all the other models we looked at was there was a crank to manually move the slides. I wonder why Jayco did not install such a feature.

Thanks for the photos and detailed instructions( I printed them and will put them in the TT owners manual). Hopefully I will not need them but if I do I have them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Slideout jammed while camping (Jayco 32BHDS)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS