Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: How to remove a hideabed

Posted By: CarolineGates on 08/29/10 09:34am

I have a HUGE hideabed that is an original in my Alfa Ideal (1998). I want to remove it. I am looking at the mechanism for the bed itself and it looks like it can just be unbolted from each side. But I am not sure about any hidden screws etc.

That leaves the rest of the sofa. I hear when the rig was manufactured (any rig) that they put the sofa in and then build the RV around it. I have the emergency pushout windows but only half of the window is removable. I can't see how it would go through the door.

Can the sofa be dismantled and put back together again? Anyone ever done this? I am not sure where on the sofa I would find the bolts/screws to remove the arms and back. It might have to be turned over once the bed itself is removed (if it can be).

I can't live with this thing anymore. I thought (just thought) about taking a chain saw to it.

Posted By: JFG on 08/29/10 09:39am

The screws are probably hidden under the fabric.... if you have no plans for it, just start cutting and ripping... you will find them.
the other option is to remove a large window.

Fred

Posted By: skylos on 08/29/10 09:42am

My experience with RV sofas is that if you unbolt them, they easily come apart into units that fit through the door with ease. The simple model I took out of my RV had eight bolts - four holding the front panel on, four holding the end units onto the ends of the frame. It easily went to its flat position and could have fit through a 1-foot wide slot on its way out... I walked out the door holding it beside me.

Posted By: Love Boat II on 08/29/10 10:09am

CarolineGates wrote:

I have a HUGE hideabed that is an original in my Alfa Ideal (1998). I want to remove it. I am looking at the mechanism for the bed itself and it looks like it can just be unbolted from each side. But I am not sure about any hidden screws etc.

That leaves the rest of the sofa. I hear when the rig was manufactured (any rig) that they put the sofa in and then build the RV around it. I have the emergency pushout windows but only half of the window is removable. I can't see how it would go through the door.

Can the sofa be dismantled and put back together again? Anyone ever done this? I am not sure where on the sofa I would find the bolts/screws to remove the arms and back. It might have to be turned over once the bed itself is removed (if it can be).

I can't live with this thing anymore. I thought (just thought) about taking a chain saw to it.

If it was built it can be taken apart--[emoticon]

Posted By: aruba5er on 08/29/10 10:31am

Mine had 8 screws (4 on each end) that I just loosened and slid the metal framework out of. I tied the thing together with tie wire. Stood it on end and took it out the door. Then we stood the upholsterd frame on end and workrd it out the door. Never so glad to get rid of that backacre in my life. Replaced with 2 Lazy Boy's

Posted By: Old-Biscuit on 08/29/10 10:31am

During production furniture is usually installed thru a large rear window or slide-out opening prior to window/slide-out being installed.

One inside, to remove it has to be disassembled......for hide-a-bed sofa, remove the mattress, then remove the folding mechanism, then you should be able to remove back and/or sides so that it will fit thru door opening.

My friends sofa didn't come apart easily and he ended up having to pull fabric apart to get to screws it in order to remove.....after wards it wasn't cost effective to have it repaired so it ended up in trash.....great huh??

Just make sure that new furniture easily disassembles so you can get it in the rig. Good luck!

Posted By: 80psi on 08/29/10 11:57am

Pull the rear window if 40x48 or larger and save yourself some work plus your new furniture can be purchased at a home furnishing store for better quality and choices.

The windows are easily removed and installed if your handy with a couple of tools.

Posted By: ol Bombero-JC on 08/29/10 12:14pm

Disagree with "through the window", etc.

No way to tell if it's this way, but . . . .
on mine, the entire back slid upwards - making two pieces, the base (with bed and arms) and the back.
It was then easily removable - tight fit, but each piece at a time through the door - with one helper.

Note:
The fit (the back into the base) - was extremely tight, and I was surprised when, after lots of head scratching, pulling and wiggling - the discovery was made . . . . after reading a thread just like this one a couple of years ago.

*NO* screws to un-screw, *NO* unbolting.
NO wrench or screwdriver required!
Get your hands between the back and the base and pull *UP*
For removal, decided it was easiest just to leave the bed mechanism in the bottom part.

Hope that helps.

BTW - while entering this info, I would look at that sofa bed which is about 15 ft away in my sticks & bricks. You would never know it comes apart that way.

~

JC

Posted By: CarolineGates on 08/29/10 11:00pm

OK, folks, thanks for all your feedback! It took us just a few minutes to figure it out. The back section (where you lean back on) lifts right off the sofa when you pull out slightly on the arms. It is made to do this. Very easy. Then we removed the mattress, tied the hideabed frame with bungees so it wouldn't pop out, got a couple guys (actually, one guy and two women) and carried it out the RV with room to spare, put main piece, mattress, back section in the pickup and away it went, hopefully never to be seen again by me. My friend will put it in a yard sale. Free delivery.

Print  |  Close