|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Labor day weekend trip report

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/10 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We left Friday morning for the holiday weekend. I tried to talk DH into driving the red roads for our viewing pleasure, but couldn't make it happen. Took the interstate most of the way to save 1/2 hour - it would take 1 1/2 hours instead of 2 to get to our destination. Well... If it hadn't been for the accident...

Almost to the campground (we were on a red road) we ran into a traffic jam due to a small accident. It was at an intersection so the police let traffic flow by quarters - first one road in one direction, then the other direction, then the other road the same way. We were stuck there for a good long time. We had the air conditioner running and the brakes applied as we sat there at very low idle. When we got to the campground we went directly to the dump station as the last campground we were at the dump station was not useable since it was full to overflowing. Anyway - we turned off the truck and after dumping it wouldn't start! [emoticon] The battery was very close to dead. The ranger came to jump start us and we went to our campsite. After seeing that very cool jump starter thing the ranger had, DH had to go purchase one immediately. And of course, for the rest of the trip the battery acted flawlessly. (But - you know - that invincible feeling is priceless.) [emoticon]

We had reserved our site somewhat late and had to take a left-over, but it turned out to be the best site in the park. We were backed into the woods and never had to shut the blinds for privacy. The only thing to complain about was that we had some tenters across the road behind some trees that had a barking dog - one of those that yelps like it is being tortured. The cats did not like that sound and they took 2 days to get so they wouldn't hide in the bed when they heard it.

We got to use our new water bladder:
[image]
to get more water since this park only had electric. That was great, and a fun learning experience. We used some of the tips learned here - like dumping dish water into the black tank to save room in the grey tank.

Leaving this morning we stopped at the dump station on the way out and since we noticed the last time that the pavement angled away from the drain we used our new Trailer Aid:
[image]
to drive up on the opposite side so that we could dump it all. That worked great!

Made it home safely, the cats are pleased to be back in the quiet large house, and we're only $330.00 poorer.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/10 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a unplanned Labor Day weekend camping experience. I had knee replacement surgery a few weeks ago and still not able to move around well enough to set up and tear down and when our little camping buddy asked his granny if we could go camping she told him Papa was not up to it yet so he said well the 5er is all set up under the carport we could camp there. So I ended up dragging the water hose over to the 5er, electric was already hooked up and I set up the portable satellite dish and we spent the weekend in the 5er at camp driveway and watched TV ate popcorn and relaxed and had a good time. Best of all we did not burn a drop of diesel.

Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/10 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvman -

I LIKE that anecdote. [emoticon]

Go Dawgs

Kent, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job tvman. Get better and enjoy.

pasusan I glad you enjoyed your weekend. Happy camping

2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Labor day weekend trip report
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.