RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 5 years Ago.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 5 years Ago.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
MrPhelps

Huntsville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just wanted to share with you all the best 5 years ,the best money and the best time invested in something I have ever spent. …on my truck and camper. Prior to the purchase I was a workholic who could not relax and when I did take off it was in the conventional hotel-resort …which was I found not very relaxing.

A little over 6 years ago, I decided it had to be better and began researching trailers and 5th wheels. I don’t know when or where I discovered the TC , but it was on this forum and the engineer in me began the research and comparison process.

I ran loads analysis on the truck and camper to see if it could handle the loads.

[image]

I went to an Arctic Fox dealer in Nashville who allowed me to drive a combo.. so I could see how it felt.

I performed comparisons of features..
• I made a 500 mile trip to Fun Time Campers in Terra Haute just to see a Host Camper.

• I pondered long and hard about the risks of an Aluminum Framed Truck Camper with 2 slides with many of you on the forum and decided it was worth the risk to try the new design.

• I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the camper on August 30, 2005 and took delivery October 13, 2005.

Things have never been the same. We have used it constantly all year long and still love it.

[image]
taken by my brother.. (guy standing )in Destin, FL.. Henderson Beach State Park..

[image]
Hells Canyon.. Oregon

Found ways to add bikes and boat!!
[image]
[image]

[image]
Oregon Coast, Bowman Lake in Glacier NP, Edisto Beach South Carolina

.. modified my place to store the camper at my house..
[image]
[image]

went to amazing places..
[image]
Canadian Rockies..
[image]
Bowman Lake .. Ahh my favorite!
[image]
Little River Canyon. Alabama
[image]
Yellowstone NP
[image]
Bowman Lake Again
[image]
Crater Lake
[image]
Up the Forest Road to Lake Conasuga, Georgia
[image]
Oregon Coast on my birthday..

used it as a construction office..
[image]

We have taken fantastic trips and short weekend trips. I have had my problems with my camper but this forum and the local RV service folks have been invaluable in solving all problems.

I am truly thankful that I discovered the TC and it has in many ways changed my life and that of my family. We now have bikes and a kayak that we use frequently. It has been transforming for our family....

* This post was last edited 09/10/10 04:02am by MrPhelps *   View edit history

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

2001tundra

Surry , NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi , what a wonderful complement to your life and enjoyment with your family. You are living everyones dreams.

2001 Tundra TV , 18 ft Cikira Classic Cruiser

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now thats a Feel Good story...Thank you for the comments and pictures!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

realter

NW

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post.

summerhouse

Big Rapids, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a wonderful testament to getting down to the important things in life. Family and quality time together.

Five years and look at all the memories that your family has built, and a lifestyle that very well may continue with your children's generation!

We have had our unit for two years come Thanksgiving weekend. We have put over 7,000 miles on our coach and I look forward to a posting such as yours at our 5 year mark!

Thank you for the quality posting and beautiful pictures!!

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrPhelps wrote:

.................I ran loads analysis on the truck and camper to see if it could handle the loads.

[image]

You engineers kill me! [emoticon] I don't understand all that jibber-jabber under your drawing, but it looks like you were trying to prove the truck and camper weren't going to rise like a balloon and float away. [emoticon]

My truck selection process went something like this:

Used (to get the cost down)- check
Ford - check
Dually - check
Long bed - check
Crew Cab - check
Diesel - check
Manual trans - check
Non-smoker - check
I even like the color - Bonus!

Glad to hear your TC experience has been good for you and your family. In that respect, we have a lot in common.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post....Thanks for sharing...

10 years with our BF....and over 90,000 miles...

Won't leave home without it!!!!

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you've had fun with the TC. We sure have had great times with ours. Bought ours November of 2003 so almost 7 years now.

You were smart getting one with an aluminum frame. We've had to repair rot about every two years in our wooden framed unit. Seems I'm always calking it as well. But we still love ours especially the inside headroom. Host just doesn't have enough for my tall frame.

Your calculations put mine to shame. We figured the camper would overload our truck a little.(bought the truck first) It did by 800 pounds. Yet it's worked very well, even the brake pads are lasting longer than expected.

Mines been from Key West to Fairbanks, deep into Mexico and back. TC's allow lots of travel and fun. Retirement allows the time.

* This post was edited 09/09/10 08:12pm by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrPhelps wrote:

I ran loads analysis on the truck and camper to see if it could handle the loads.

What a GREAT post!!...Question: Did your analysis lead you to conclude that the stock wheels & tires were inadequate??

Thanks,

3 tons

p.s. Nice looking wheels!!

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck, all I did was look at the pictures, a few of them were National Geographic quality! Thanks!

And it was no fair that you took the inside of your camper picture with a fish eye lens, it looked like you had more room in there than my 30' 5er! [emoticon]

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 5 years Ago.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.