|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Route to take to Big Bend NP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
danorske

Austin, Tejas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it better to go west of Austin on 290 to I10 to Ft Stockton then south. Or to San Antonio and take Highway 90 west. Wondering how 90 is.
Driving a 40 footer with a toad. Then once there is there any where in the park to put this sucker?

Thanks,
Ron

2008 Tuscany 4076, 40.6 ft. 3 Slides. Freightliner, Cummings ISC 360HP, Allison 3000MH. Now a Residential Fridge.
Toad = 2013 Ford F150, 4X4 off road.

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know which way is best. Since you are considering different routes, try 29 west out of Georgetown. In Menard, catch 190 to I 10.
Go one way and come back another.
Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

cgaskins

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danorske wrote:

Is it better to go west of Austin on 290 to I10 to Ft Stockton then south. Or to San Antonio and take Highway 90 west. Wondering how 90 is.
Driving a 40 footer with a toad. Then once there is there any where in the park to put this sucker?

Thanks,
Ron

We made the same trip from Austin 3 years ago. We went 290 from Austin, through Fredericksburg, all the way to I10. We stopped at Junction and spent the night then continued on I10. We left early the next morning and continued on I10 until past Stockton until we got to US67. We took US67 south to Alpine then we got on 118 to Study-Butte.

We stayed over at Maverick RV Resort in Lajitas (west of Study-Butte) on FM 170.

It was a very easy trip. Just watch your fuel in the long stretch between Ozona and Fort Stockton.

Here is a link to the RV resort we stayed it. It is a bit of drive to Big Bend but a nice place. We would make Day trips back into Big Bend. Had a great time.

http://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/default.aspx?pg=maverick_ranch_2&rp=home

If I have a trip report written up here:
http://thegaskins.dyndns.org/wordpress/?page_id=22

If you have not been to Davis Mountains State Park, it is worth stopping by while you are in that direction. Great place as well.
http://thegaskins.dyndns.org/wordpress/?page_id=23

Regards,
Chris

A resident of the great city of Austin, Texas
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Ultimate (6.7 Powerstroke)

wgtex

Victoria,Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just made trip the out that way a few weeks ago. However, being a little south of we had no problem with a route. We took Hiway 90 to Bracketville(stayed at Ft Clark RV Park), then to on Sanderson(nice little park there - can't remember the name). Obviously we weren't in a hurry.

I am guessing 290 to I-10 would be a good route for you. There are several parks on I-10 towards Ft Stockton.

There is an RV park in the National Park. It is at Boquillas. We drove down and looked it. Not a bad looking park. Don't know how crowded it might be getting.

Y'all have fun now!!

Wendell

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree with using US 290 to get to I-10, then US 385 from Ft Stockton to Marathon & on to the park. Leaving by another route would be cool as well, US 90. We came in from El Paso. We wanted to get to the park as quickly as possible, and to be down by the Rio Grande Village first. We got to the North Park entrance (down the road from Marathon where we topped off the fuel after filling it up in Alpine before that, we were in a C-Class MH). We got to the gate late with it already dark, the campgrounds are mostly down closer to the Rio, therefore, we spend that night just outside of the entrance at a wide place beside the road just up from the Park sign. We wanted to see what was there to be seen, and there is a visitor center just inside the entrance (Persimmon Gap Visitor Center) (there are several centers scattered through out the park). Big Bend has very few places to eat other than your RV but there are a few, even a lodge at the Basin. From what I remember going via Marathon and entering by the North Entrance was less of a drive in miles. But it has been several years since we did this trip. We left via TX 118 to Alpine.

Someone on another forum wrote: "I just spent 4 days in Big Bend and talked with a Border Patrolman there. He told me it is perfectly safe in the park, just don't cross the river!" This was in 2009.

Remember, "Big Bend National Park is located in southwest Texas, hundreds of miles from the nearest cities, the isolation of Big Bend is a drawing point for many visitors, it also means that your trip must be well prepared and carefully planned. Several highways lead to Big Bend National Park: TX 118 from Alpine to Study Butte or FM 170 from Presidio to Study Butte (then 26 miles east to park headquarters) or US 90 or US 385 to Marathon (then 70 miles south to park headquarters). Distances between towns and services can be considerable. Always be sure you have plenty of gas, oil, food, and water for your trip. The park has four camper stores, but supply and selection can be limited. There are also small stores in the communities outside the park. The last major shopping areas (grocery and hardware stores) are Alpine, Fort Stockton, and Del Rio."

Campgrounds and [emoticon] To Keep Safe Guidelines ... this has changed since we visited the area Crossing into Mexico and road work etc in the Park.

With 40' RVs, I would think your only option would be Rio Grande Village campground in the Nat'l Park. It is the largest developed campground in Big Bend. It would make a workerable base camp to explore the park with your dinghies. We stayed more at the Rio Grande Village Campground, but also did a stay at the Chisos Basin Campground. We drove over to Cottonwood Campground, but it was right on the Rio Grande and generator use is not allowed. We did not stay there. There is a parking lot campground with electric near Rio Grande Village as well, but the other would be neater IMHO and I believe you can find a spot without a problem. In my view it is always better to camp in the parks, not out side having to do all the driving to and from and to be closer to nature in the park. See some Javelins walking by, etc. We really enjoyed seeing them.

We left the park via Alpine, also a neat drive.

Between Van Horn & Alpine you will find Marfa famous for being the area where the movie "Giant" was filmed and for the Marfa Lights. Not that I have seen the Marfa lights, never traveled in the night time along there for one reason. [emoticon] But remember seeing a lot of Pronghorns along the way.

Balmorhea State Park is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea and nearby Davis Mountains State Park (along with the famous Big Bend Nat'l Park) are very nice places and one could spend a long time at each. Been to all except Davis State Park, but it is nice areas, be sure to visit the old Fort Davis National Historic Site a nice place to see. Balmorhea is north of Big Bend and Alpine as is Fort Davis.

Guadalupe Mountains National Park ( Guadalupe ) is located in far West Texas on U.S. Highway 62/180. The driving distance is 110 miles east of El Paso, Texas, or 56 miles southwest of Carlsbad, New Mexico. It is close enought to drive to Carlsbad Caverns National Park from the campground as a day trip. One could also get to it from Van Horn, Texas off I-10. It is were a little bit of New Mexico slipped over into Texas (Don't throw rocks, I happen to be a Native Texan who has choosen to live in New Mexico, my part of NM & Guadalupe are part of the land the Old Republic of Texas claimed as Texas, Ha! RepublicTX ). The visitor center is really neat, neatly landscaped and a small campground is near it. We have stopped there a few times on our way to Carlsbad Caverns. Never overnighted.

South and East of Big Bend:
Seminole Canyon State Park and Historic Site is located west of Comstock near Langtry in Val Verde County. I have this one on my to see list someday. We have stopped at the Langtry Visitor Center and at the Pecos River Overlook. I love the history of the area. But have not gotten to visit Seminole Canyon. We have never stopped at the Alamo Movie Set in Brackettville Texas, but it could be on the way to the Langtry area. Brackettville began as the home of Fort Clark, built by the U.S. Cavalry in 1852 to protect the frontier from hostile Indians. Through the years it was home to many famous names in the military world including General George S. Patton. During World War II, Fort Clark served as a German POW camp. Also in the same area, Kickapoo Cavern State Park.

* This post was last edited 09/16/10 01:49pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you want to see it "all", go out via 290 to I-10 to Ft. Stockton, then down 67 to 90 and over to Marfa and down to Terlingua. From Presidio to Terlingua, it's up and down and curvy, but ok..just take it easy.
Then come back out through Marathon (385), and east on 90 around to Del Rio and back to Austin. You can loop around San Antone on 1604.
Terlingua's Big Bend RV park has full hookups and is located pretty good.
or you can try your luck at boondocking at one or two primitive campsites in the park. 9 Mile Draw is one of them. Hammond or Hammer Wash, something like that, is another one. We've been in each one with our rig. the road to the site is a little bumpy, but less than one mile. and you feel all alone in the wilderness, but a ranger checks on you. you don't want to try this if it is wet.

That's HANNOLD DRAW. it's about 2-3 miles from Park Headquarters.

* This post was edited 09/16/10 04:02pm by TexasShadow *

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

danorske

Austin, Tejas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Guys,
I am looking forward to the trip.
Ron

HarryWM

Wherever we are parked this time.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US 90 is two lane but a very nice road, much more interesting for me than is I-10. In the park, there are 2 NPS campgrounds (Rio Grande Village and Cottonwood). Rio Grande is in the SE corner of the park along the river, and Cottonwood in the the SW corner) There is a concessionaire run park with full hookups next to Rio Grande Village. There is also a campground at Chisos Basin but only limited size rigs are allowed up the road. Rio Grande Village NP campground has some spaces that can handle your rig but most would be a bit small. I strongly recommend arrive there late morning/early afternoon during the week (not Friday nor Saturday) for best chance to find a space. Cottonwood is rather remote. Both of these are dry camp only with no hookups. Don't know about Cottonwood, but Rio Grande Village does have dump station and potable water.

Harry
With wife Carole 13 yrs fulltiming
Retired U.S. Army
2002 Carriage LS 37' 5er; 2006 Lance 1181truck camper
2008 F-450 King Ranch 4x4 fully loaded 5,000 lb air springs
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
SKP # 54751
Geocacher "DosTortugas"
Harry & Carole's BLOG

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/10 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By all means, take US 90! It's a good road and much more peaceful and less stressful than I-10. We've been to Big Bend several times and always go that way. A good stop on the way is Seminole Canyon State Park., west of Del Rio. At Big Bend, we always stay at Big Bend Resorts RV park in Study Butte/Terlingua. Don't let the word "resort" influence you though. But, it's a nice park with reasonable amenities considering it's in the desert!

2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

HobbyTalk

NFM

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/10 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that there is a 15% grade on the road from Presidio to Terlingua

Sold the RV, bought a house in North Fort Myers
tgif: let's RV - Facebook

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Route to take to Big Bend NP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.