|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wilderness Trail, KY

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
B_C_O

Middlesboro

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/10 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

howdy everyone. my names Jon Grace, I work as the adventure tourism director here in bell county, ky and im the contact person over Wilderness Trail Off-Road Park.

The park here is 9,000 acres. We have over 120 miles of trails of off-road trails, dozens of fishing ponds (a lot accessible by even a 2WD truck or SUV), are borederd by two other great fishing areas in the Cumberland River and Yellow Creek, which are accisible by cano or john boat or river pontoon. theres even a public boat ramp right under our parks main entrance 7 miles east of Pineville KY on Highway 119. theres also a lot of wildlife up here including whitetail, wild turkey, quail, coyotes, black bear, and even an occasional elk. the park is still getting its name out.

theres no charge for trail riding, fishing (just need KY license and please do so on catch and release basis), or primitive camping. no permits for anything or costs, all we ask is that in return youd please spend a little money (gas, grocies, whatever...)in our local community. our ATV club does volunteer work to keep the park up as does our fiscal court.

like kohldad said on our forum, there arent many riders up there and sometimes you can ride a whole day and not see anyone. the riders usually go slow and are real friendly to anyone they come across. the main trailhead is even accesible by RV, but as of now everything is primitive. there is a campground with eletric hook ups right beside the park in Martys ATV Oasis. They also have a rental house. Website is Martys ATV Oasis Website

kohldad thanks so much for your post on our website. i think our park is a great place to camp and just enjoy the outdoors of southeast Kentucky. the pictures you posted are some of the best ive ever seen. id like to use some of them on our website if thats ok, and will of course give you credit. i really appreciate that post, ones that like mean a lot to our club.

anyone can check our website at Wilderness Trail Off-Road Park Website and download free trail maps, see pictures and video, get directions and more. or you can email me at jongrace@bcje.com and ill be happy to get you whatever information you need.

thanks and hope some of you will come down and enjoy our outdoor recreation area here in Bell County, KY!

* This post was edited 09/20/10 08:56pm by B_C_O *

DoneItAll

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/10 02:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent photos along with the trip report. After having read so many wonderful West coast write-ups, it's good to remember that here on the East coast there are equally beautiful places to visit.

John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/10 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see that you took time to smell the roses ... or was it the black-eyed susans? ... on your latest trip. Very nice photos here and on your website. I've been in the area of the Wilderness Trail Off-Road Park a number of times but never knew it was there. I'll have to check that out although I doubt if my bigger rig will let me go very far. Thanks B_C_O for the additional info. The other two places you visited before cracking your heel also look interesting.

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/10 03:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you had a great trip, other than the fall. I need to go visit your part of the country. Thanks for the posting the great photos. Sorry to hear about your heel injury. I'm hoping that you are back on your feet quicker than you are predicting and back out camping.

Bob in Oakland, Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/10 05:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the well wishes. I've been told to start putting weight on it, given a special boot and hope to be walking within the week. Looks like about 4 more weeks though before any hiking though.

Even folks with large dually 2wd campers can get in to some great places in the wilderness park. You may not be able to get up on the top of the ridge, but even the main road near 1344 is above the fog in the Hance's Ridge section. Or come in on 66 from Hwy 119 to some fabulous areas.

While I didn't drive down 66 on the Colmar side of 1344, the road should be also accessible for large 2wd camper from this point.

Once I can get out hikng again, I'll be back regardless of the weather.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

capeangler

Massachussetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/10 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great trip report with fantastic pictures ,,, get well soon .
take care

Thanks
capeangler
1 wife , 3 kids , 1 dog , 2 cats , too many fish to count ">
2008 Chevy 3500HD, CC, Duramax, Allison,DRW ,Timbrens, Bilsteins,Hellwig sway bar
2007 ZT300BHS Crossroads
2007 Adventurer 10T Torklifts , Fast Guns

brianjw

Here and There

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny I browsed through this previously, but I didn't realize that this is right next to one of the mining sites of the company that I fly for. Actually you can see their active site in the background.
I have flown over this area hundreds of times, I didn't realize it was an "off road" park though I have seen several ATVs out there, and a handful of people hunting and fishing. I had been told that it was a planned industrial park for Bell County. I may have to take my truck out there and look around on the ground.

Being that I'm working for a coal company at the moment, I have to point out that the area you're driving/camping on has been previously mined. Those nice flat areas where the cattle roam would be considered "mountain top removal", and the ponds/lakes are left behind from mining operations. I know a lot of people give the mining companies a bad rep, but a lot of reclaimed mining sites are very nice, and even draw in a lot of turkey, deer, a few elk, etc.
Anyway I just felt like pointing it out. I have heard people out on previously mined properties like this say "boy this is beautiful, mining this area would ruin everything" while they had no idea they were actually standing on a reclaimed strip mine.

2006 F150 SuperCrew FX4 - Bilsteins, Hellwig sway bar, Firestone air bags, BFG KM2s, 4.56 gears, F&R lockers, Torklifts w/ Fastguns
2011 Travel Lite 700

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's amazing what a lot of people pass up.

We have enjoyed the eastern mountains for years... N. Georgia, NC, TN, KY, WV. We can lose 10 days or more with no trouble at all.

We have parked at a lot of spots similar to yours in this area. Sometimes when we are on top of a mountain we'll hear a train in the middle of the night from very far away.

Thanks for posting your beautiful pictures and sharing your story

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/10 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

It was way too early to stop at 12:30, but after thinking about where the sun would set and rise, along with remembering my promise to really enjoy this trip, I decided it was the perfect stop. It was nothing more than the a place on the side of an ATV trails, but the views were the best yet. I spent the evening snapping 300+ pics; looking up insects, trees, etc; and working a few suduko puzzle.

Really an excellent trip report. I am especially glad you remembered that it is not always the destination that counts - the journey should be as memorable. Taking the time to really enjoy a spot, even if it is just a "place on the side of an ATV trail" can be the best part of a trip.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and story. I hope your heel "heals" quickly and that you get back out there soon.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/10 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice! The trees next to the campfire look very hammock capable! [emoticon]

Bill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wilderness Trail, KY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.