RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Return To The White Rim Trail-Mineral Road-Canyonlands

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Return To The White Rim Trail-Mineral Road-Canyonlands

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/10 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Return to White Rim Trail
Canyonlands NP
Mineral Bottom
Part 1

This tale starts out of a desire for adventure, a little out of the ordinary and a completion of one’s pass expedition cut off by nature’s own hand in the fate of man’s destiny. A call went out for who would join us in the trial that Nature had lay before mankind, would survival our mighty machines of steel happen?

The noble, mighty Jeff (jefe4x4) well known for his skills of definite of Nature’s devious ways of twisting man’s plans for adventure answered our call for this journey. We were to meet in Moab to finalize those plans, he would swoop in from the north and we would come from the south.

Sept. 02-03, 2010.Thursday/Friday
It would be a race to Moab, for I’d forgotten it was going to be Labor Day weekend and little time for any exploring on the way up. Even from our speeding truck, Utah’s highway (I-70) rolls through some of the most beautiful countryside one can see.
[image]
[image]

Julie and I reached Hwy191 on Friday early afternoon; I had a place in mind for camping and was hoping for that not many people knew about it
[image]

Making our way to Cowboy Campsite (BLM), the only other travelers we saw were two motorcyclist on their horses of steel riding the road as it twisted it’s reach up to the mesa area.
[image]

To our good fortune Cowboy was almost deserted, the Gods indeed are on our side. Paying the inn keeper (BLM ranger) for our site over looking the mesa, a table and a fire ring for cooking one’s food. Making a quick dash to Canyonlands medieval fortress to bribe some information from the knight in charge, this prove to be fruitful, for I was able to advance our standing from Murphy’s campsite to
Candlestick campsite.

Returning back to Mineral Road to gather more information on how Nature was able to defeat a road built by man that had stool for decades.
[image]
A posted sign greeted us with both welcome and caution, you can get out there and it could be dangerous. For the worn dirt road had still shown the scares from it battle with Nature, even though man came along to do repairs one can still see how the mighty rivers of water had slice it way across the mesa.
Click on Pic for video
[image]
[image]
Reaching the end of the road, we approached with stealth; one can never tell what traps Nature had left behind. As it was as the signage told, end of the road.
[image]
[image]

Leaving the protection of our home on wheels, Julie and I crossed the small bridge to gaze upon the violence that was thrush upon this ancient pathway.
[image]
[image]

Returning to our chosen place for this night, Julie prepared our evening meal and it’s a good thing that we had secured our spot for it was almost full, we would be kissed good-night by a glorious sunset.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Sept. 04, 2010. Saturday

The was indeed glorious morning, birds flying about even spotted a young rabbit on its morning hunt for eatable plants. I almost forgot to tell you about the roofless commode building
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
Once again we headed into a questionable area, this time having to bribe our way in.
[image]
[image]

Checking once again with the guard for any change in intelligence, he said to come back after 17:00Hrs(05:00).
With time on our hands so to speak of, it was off to sights that we hadn’t seen before. Pulling into Shafer Canyon overlook, I could see the work that the workers had been doing. I was able to get a kind person to take our image in time with our magic box; I wish someone would come up with a better name.
[image]
Shafer Switch Backs are in the background.

Traveling to the furthest ends of this road we were treated to many eye pleasing sights.
[image]

[image]

For we had reached what is call Grand View Point and did indeed live up to its name.
[image]
[image]
[image]

Seeing that the sun was almost at high noon we needed to be at the magic spot in order for Julie to use her casting spell to commutate with Jeff (cell phone), he should be getting close. The magic spot was about a mile south of our camping area and as it turned out Jeff was only a short time away. We would meet at Moab Brewery, watering hole of many local characters. The little hamlet of Moab was busy with upcoming event for Labor Day Weekend. In a short time Jeff pulled in with his legendary machine, know for its wide back feet.
[image]
[image]
Food and drink was outstanding, this was our first meeting with Jeff, and I informed him on the latest Intel that I had gathered about expedition starting tomorrow. We both had to get more supplies and agreed to meet at the campsite; I also had to check back at Canyonlands overseer for any further changes as it turned out to be none. Back at the campsite, Jeff had set up and we pulled into our spot, the sun was going down, it was good night till morning.
[image]

Part 2 coming soon- Shafer Trail to Gooseberry Campsite.

All part1 photos at this link…WRT, part1

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice! But isn't it amazing what a few rain drops can do, when they gang up on you? Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Bill

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/10 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great buildup to the next part. It's nice to see the view from the top before the drive in. I look forward to your next post!

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good start Alex ... especially the video. Looking forward to the upcoming installments.

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh that's pretty.
Thanks,
J&K

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/10 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't wait until chapter two.

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/10 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Julie,
Ah shucks, the pics are so vivid I feel like was on that trip. Wait, I was on that trip!
[image]
I sure like your pic pay site compared to Photobucket.I guess you get what you pay for.
In noticed on one of your vids that my R. front tie down was disconnected and just banging on the side of the bed. I like running fast and loose, but that's beyond the pale. At the start of the Shafer down grade the front two tie downs were snug. The rears were very loose, by design. Because of the extreme downgrade, the white box slowly worked it's way toward the front tightening the rears and way loosening the fronts, enough so one fell out of the eye bolt. Since I use Lance Camper Guides, I'm not worried at all about the side-to-side workings of the camper, only the fore-to-aft movement. I've got to find a way to use a 30,000 pound strap to hold the camper in the bed, restraining the movement fore-to-aft without tearing things up.
Jeanie and I are leaving on yet another Fall TC trip in a couple hours. We had better do this while we can. Time is slipping away, so this time it's Gold Lake (in the No. Sierra), Lassen Volcanic NP, and a few days on the dunes at Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. Pressure will drop to 25/22 lbs. on the blow sand. You pick a numbered camp 'post' and camp within 150 feet of it. This camping on the dunes is only available after October 1st (till April). Everywhere you look is sand, with some 500 foot dunes. At 50 miles in length, It's the longest set of coastal dunes in the U.S. We've camped on the dunes at Pismo many moons ago but not here.
Well, friends, I'm so looking forward to your next installment. You guys were smooth camping companions.
regards, as always, jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

w6pea

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/10 12:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow
I'm jealous, I wonder if my class=c will get in there?
Beautiful pictures.

Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/10 03:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great photos and trip report, It makes me feel like I'm following you down into the Canyonlands. I need to buy a 4 wheel drive truck.

Bob in Oakland, Ca.

Good Sam Club Life Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Return To The White Rim Trail-Mineral Road-Canyonlands
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.