RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Return to the White Rim Trail/Shafer to Gooseberry/part2

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Return to the White Rim Trail/Shafer to Gooseberry/part2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/10 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Return to White Rim Trail
Shafer Trail to
Gooseberry
Part 2

Sept.05, 2010. Sunday

All of us rose early to prepare for our thrush into hostile territory, Julie making a breakfast fit for a couple of battling solders.
[image]
click on pic for video
[image]
The guardian of the night was still on duty looking over us.
[image]
A young couple can be seen in silhouette watching the coming of the morning sun.
[image]
Light rushing before the blazing sun outlines the distance mountain in shadow.
[image]
Jeff made some suggestions on adjusting my suspension; this is where he showed me of his modifications to his rig. He being the well seasoned off roader, I took his advice and unhooked my anti sway bar, lowered the pressure in my airbags till the rear overload stops engaged the springs and we would lower our tire pressure once at the trailhead.
[image]
Gear loaded up, we headed out to see what nature would throw at us down in the bowls of Canyonlands.
[image]
[image]
It was a beautiful day as we pulled into the dry trailhead road, stopping to make some adjustment to our truck tires.
[image]
Off we go, Jeff is following not far behind, he wanted to see how my rig would handle from the adjustment that were made to it.
[image]
Jeff has a great view of my rig, it had been over 30 year since he’s been on the WRT and soon the switch Backs came into view
[image]
[image]
Approaching the first of the switch back.
[image]
[image]
Soon we’re both making our drive into the lower regions of Canyonlands.
Click on pic for video
[image]
[image]
Click on pic for video
[image]
Shafer Switch Backs had some repairs done to them as a results of the August 19,2010 storm that had rolled and hammer on it.
[image]
After the passing the drainage tunnel, the trail road starts becoming rocky and degrading.
[image]
Soon we came in contact with one of the locals from “Tag Along”, he had came up from Potash Road to WRT. We could see that crossing from here.
[image]
Stopping at Potash Rd/Shafer/WRT, Jeff wanted to make some minor adjustments to my tire pressure. Taking a little time to look back up at Shafer Switch Back.
[image]
[image]
We had to make it to Gooseberry and we had been warned about the trolls craving for tires, a road behemoth had been disabled from such attack.
[image]
[image]
A few miles down the road a stop is made at Goose Neck Overlook, no one but us are here, it’s a easy walk up to the overlook to gaze upon the Colorado river.
[image]
[image]
Back to our truck and down the bumpy, sandy road we go.
[image]
[image]
Our machine of steel soon has us at Musselman Arch where two travelers ask for water, for they were far ahead of their companions.
[image]
[image]
Out by the Arch, we tried to coax Jeff to join us in an aerial view of the great space below, he said no!
[image]
Heading back to our rigs, a young family had just pulled in riding their smallish steel machine from the Hamlet of Moab. They weren’t well prepared with only an ice chest of few drinks.
[image]
A few more miles go by quickly and it isn’t longer before Airport Tower can be seen way over there.
[image]
Our rocky trail would take us by some geological wonders as we push forward.
[image]
[image]
One thing about WRT it does get close to the edge leading to the abyss and rocky grave.
[image]
Arriving at Airport Campsite for a little leg stretching and photo taking. Airport Campsite is a bare spot that has only a vaulted toilet and boundary pole to mark the area.
[image]
Leaving Airport, Jeff would be lead dog to Gooseberry and all I saw was the dust he left behind, it would be several miles before catching up to him.
[image]
We reach a part of the trail that I had dub “The Big Tilt” from a pervious trip, it’s really not that bad of a tilt.
[image]
click on pic for video
[image]
Another band of wanders on bicycles approach us from where we are headed. Jeff stopped to talk with the leader of this group and found that Gooseberry wasn’t far from us.
[image]
[image]
We pulled into Gooseberry Campsite with some daylight; we had rolled over 27 miles of rocky and sandy roads to get here.
Click on pic for video
[image]
As Jeff made our diner of his special tacos, a band of gypsies (Magpie tours) set up near by.
[image]
[image]
Sitting there enjoying the receding light reflecting off the distance mountains.
[image]

Thanks to everyone for coming along, part3 to Candlestick coming soon

Part 1 linked here

All part2 photos here

All comments welcomed

* This post was edited 10/08/10 03:04pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/10 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, C.T ! Nice to read Part II !

This is a bonanza of incredible Trip Reports folks; time to get reading and dreaming about next spring/summer [emoticon]

Cheers,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/10 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

Great idea incorporating the videos to your reports - I may have to think about mastering that particular skill. Looks like you, the DW, and Jefe had a great time. Thanks for the post.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/10 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You folks out west sure know how to rock and roll over those trails. Awesome.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/10 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for Part 2, I was wondering when the great WRT adventure would continue. Really enjoyed the vids and seeing how much your campers rocked back and forth. Now I don't feel nearly as bad about the trail I took a few weeks ago.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/10 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for going the extra mile on the trip report.

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/10 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah Alex, nicely done pictures and writeup. Thanks for taking the time! You guys look the part of battle worn soldiers being feed by Julie. Keep the reports coming...

w6pea

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/10 12:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Pictures

Remember "Without Trucker's America Stops"
"Buy American Made Only!"
It's too late to save your shoes..roll up your pant legs
"When all else fails..Amateur Radio"
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills
If We Can't Haul It..You Don't Need It. Motor-T
Semper Fi

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/10 03:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! I wish I could be there with you guys. This is an amazing trip. I never knew what I missed when I went through Canyonlands twice. Now I know I need to get off the beaten path and really check it out! Thanks again!

Bob

Good Sam Club Life Member

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Return to the White Rim Trail/Shafer to Gooseberry/part2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.