|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Colorado's San Juan Triangle Part 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
texasgal316

texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/10 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know where this location is exactly, but we just got back from a little trip to Colo. We went up a mountain just out of Del Norte going towards Pagosa Springs. I think it was up to the Summitville Mine 18 1/2 miles up and I rode in the back seat looking the whole way and naturally I was truck sick so didn't get to take a whole lot of pictures. Went to another campground along the highway going towards P/Springs and it was spectacular. Did mange to take some pictures, but I cannot post them here; have tried and guess I am just an idiot, but looks a lot like the ones you just posted. Very beautiful there.
Thanks for the pictures.

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/10 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, What beautiful photos! Part 2 was even more impressive than Part 1. I agree with SeldomSeenSmith, we are blessed with the fact that you post these wonderful photos to share with everyone. Thanks again!

Bob

Good Sam Club Life Member

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/10 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ClatterTruck,

May I ask what camera you are using? The color is just stunning and the only way I've even come close is using my Olympus OM-4 and Kodakchrome 64.

I agree with SelodomSeen, the composition and light is perfect. You have a remarkable talent.

Thanks,

Bill

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/10 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well CT, awesome pictures of fall I must say. We were in the area just before you and the colors were just beginning to show. Your good luck and good pictures catch it all. Congratulations!

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/10 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

& you go to a different area each fall!!

Do you ever use a tripod?

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/10 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you. Beautious!

Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/10 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photography- digital advantage vs. film
Regards to all of you who liked my photos Some folks wonder what it takes to get better images. The following is a some history and opinions.

Photography as just a hobby is somewhat new for me. I was a commercial photographer for some 40 years. I was able to enjoy the medium as landscape devotee when I was on vacations and during an occasional assignment. Now as a unemployed old person I have a hobby to enjoy as my wife and I travel. We like every place we see even if it is not very photogenic.

I retired so long ago that I have trouble remembering what I did, well, not really.. The slings and arrows of business are not very romantic.. I am now a recovering business man. I did not shoot much for quite a while, but now the allure of the magic has got me again. It is the same addiction that got me into the business in the first place.

Most of my work was in the advertising area, no portraits or wedding. I was a large format guy using 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. All my experience was with film and chemicals.

Film is basically dead since the digital revolution. I don't pine for the old way. My kids bought a small digital camera for me and that started me on a new addiction. Photography has always been equipment heavy, and now it is computer heavy if you want take advantage of the extraordinary range of the technology. I now have a capable camera, a Nikon D300, and a couple of powerfull computers (PCs).

Edward Westin when asked how he used his big camera to get such great photos, replied simply," I use the camera faithfully." no tecno talk. Ansel Adams said the secret to all visual art is, "The preservation of the illusion of light".
Adams was a pioneer in the manipulation of processing of both film and prints to achieve brilliant prints which embodied his vision of the scene.

Digital imaging allows the photographer to better bring what the eye perceives and what the emotions want to express to the final image. For example my recent trip with Steve suffered from considerable haze Photoshop allowed more contrast to be applied to the mountains in the background to mitigate some of the haze You could not easily do that to a film transparency. Highlight to shadow extremes cannot be handled well in film, but digital can deal with it.

[image]
Original image. Problems include: Left grass shadow too dark, bush in foreground needs to darkened, trees need more saturation, The sky needs to be darker

[image]
Here is what my eyes saw at the scene. This geezer has learned enough to improve original captures. I have only scratched the surface of Adobe Photoshop. Being close to the end of the tether, I will never become as proficient as I would like.
Tom Hogan recently said, " Great photographs consist of hundreds of choices made by the photographer, some during capture, some during processing. There is no "reality" in photos because of that. None. Starting with when you choose the shutter release through to where you point the camera and how you set it, every decision you make narrows "reality" down to something you saw and wanted to capture. It's your vision, not reality, that is captured."

I have no desire to sell my stuff, I'm out of the business forever.

Be aware that my compatriot, Steve, will soon post a link to his web site to feature panoramas of some of the same scenes. "Panos" as they are called are cover very wide angles by assembling several individual photos into one image. The technique is a bit complicated..

Ron

Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/10 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little Kopit wrote:

& you go to a different area each fall!!

Do you ever use a tripod?

[emoticon]

Good to hear from PEI. To answer your tripod question, yes but only about 30% of the time. Hand holding the camera is generally OK if you set it for shutter priority and set it at a 500th A 250th will make it if you are not very shaky. As the light level falls off, sharp pictures come from a tripod.
Other places we have been in the fall include the Natchez Trace, northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Southern Canada etc The hardwoods have the best color, bur you don't find the grand vistas that are in the mountain states.

Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/10 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eugarps wrote:

ClatterTruck,

May I ask what camera you are using? The color is just stunning and the only way I've even come close is using my Olympus OM-4 and Kodakchrome 64.

I agree with SelodomSeen, the composition and light is perfect. You have a remarkable talent.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
Since getting into digital, I have used Nikon cameras,D100, D200, and now a D300. I think the Canon cameras are the equal and probably better, but I had some Nikon items from years past that could be used. The D300 is all that I need.

Beware that pixel count is not indicative of the end image quality. The older D200 at 6mp will knock the socks off the low end 12mp cameras that don't have good dynamic range. They blow out highlights and have noisy shadows.
The camera is the staring place while post processing software finishes the image. I suggest Photoshop Elements as a reasonably priced and very good program. The new Photoshop CS5 is fantastic, but pricy. If you learn only 2% of it is worth it. Then you need a good book, Scott Kelbys "CS5 for Digital Photographers". Don't try it when drinking beer, the mind fails.

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/10 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Clattertruck. That's about the direction I'm headed. I'm just deciding whether to go with my Canon or Olympus systems, because both the Canon and Zuiko lenses will work with the digital bodies. I'm leaning toward Olympus, because the image stabilization feature is in the body rather than in the lens as is the case with Nikon.

Back on subject: DW and I will be definitely doing this trip next fall. We may start in Laramie visiting our son, daughter-in-law and new grandbaby and then follow the leaf change south to our other son and daughter-in-law in Albuquerque. We especially like to road from Lake City to South Park and then a side trip to Pagosa Springs for a soak in the Springs.

Thanks again,

Bill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Colorado's San Juan Triangle Part 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.