|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/10 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in all of those places about 2 weeks ago, but they change so quickly. No snow then, and the fall color was in different places. Thanks for sharing your trip and perhaps inspiring me to go later in the season next year. We are lucky to be here in SD County, just a few hours from the Eastern Sierra. Heck, maybe I could go two or three times to catch all of fall!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

DUNEBUGGYDOUG

SHELBY FOREST TN.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/10 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for your info SILVERSAND the south also has beautiful colors

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/10 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic pics!!! Definitely on my bucket list!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

gypsy1997

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/10 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a wonderful trip, and gorgeous pictures. Don't know if I should be asking this in another part of the forum, but I'm wondering if you unload your TC each time you get a camping site and then go driving off to see the sights. I am planning to buy a Lance in about a month, so I don't really know much about the ins and outs of truck camping. Thanks.
Gypsy

gypsy97
Big Agnes tent

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/10 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto - great pics. Don't you love it when the first few light snows fall? We finally had a bit of snow in the higher mountains, and this morning it was snowing HARD at the house for the first time this year. About the only drag this time of year is the days get so short!

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

hikerdmb

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/10 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the kind words on the pics. To answer a couple of questions:
btggraphix - I do love the snow and colors of fall. Makes me long for my old college days when I lived in Gunnison up in your great state. In fact going to see the Aspen trees took us right back to those days of traveling up into the Rockies.
gypsie1997 - I don't take my camper off and leave it behind. My particular camper is an "entry level model" which means it did not cost very much and the floor needs to be supported. Also I am not really sure it is worth taking it off when we only were staying one night at each camp.
Tiger4X4RV - I know what you mean about missing the colors by a couple of weeks. I was up around Kearsarge Pass only three weeks ago and did not see any signs of the changing seasons. But now, WOW! Also I couldn't agree more with the living in SD county. We can get to the desert, the coast, and the mountains pretty easily. And not to cause a ruckus but I think our state is pretty amazing with all the places we have available to camp and explore.

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 with Hemi
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Daystar Leveling Kit
285/75/17 BFG All-Terrain TA
2008 Sun-lite Eagle SB
65 Watt Solar Panel
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler
Gregory Z-65 Backpack

gypsy1997

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/10 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought you probably didn't since you were moving around so much. When you find a campsite, is it always available when you return? It might not be an issue when there are no crowds, but if there are lots of folks driving through the parks do you leave something to indicate you will be back?

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/10 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, those photos look like Christmas cards! Simply gorgeous scenery. Thanks for posting!

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/10 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gypsy1997 wrote:

I thought you probably didn't since you were moving around so much. When you find a campsite, is it always available when you return? It might not be an issue when there are no crowds, but if there are lots of folks driving through the parks do you leave something to indicate you will be back?

You generally have a tag/stub on the post that holds your site - but it is often good to leave something - a cheap plastic cone, or whatever. Last time we left an old yellow bucket with a rock in it to stay put, right in the middle of the site.

College at "Wasted State" eh? It's a nice place - have a number of friends and coworkers that went there - they are all huge outdoors people and loved their time there. Cold winters though! [emoticon]

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/10 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hikerdmb wrote:

Tiger4X4RV - I know what you mean about missing the colors by a couple of weeks. I was up around Kearsarge Pass only three weeks ago and did not see any signs of the changing seasons.

For the purpose of showing how quickly it all changes, here are photos of some of the same places:

Little Lakes Valley, Sept. 21
[image]

the island in Long Lake (Bishop Pass trail), Sept. 22
[image]

Flower Lake (Kearsarge Pass trail), Sept. 24
The light color on the mountains is gray granite.
[image]

It's beautiful both ways. I never get tired of the Eastern Sierra.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fall Colors in the Eastern Sierra
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.