|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Delamination questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/10 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to be super diligent to check your RV for bad caulk at least a few times each year. Recaulk ANY minor crack in the caulking. You'd be surprised how much water can wick through a minute crack. I had it happen to me; fortunately my insurer covered the repairs.

The other point is --- BUY GOOD INSURANCE. It's not the time for the value insurer. Make sure you have full, good coverage. My repairs were 8,000. I only had a 100 deductible to pay. Thank God I chose a good company.

IECamper

Driveway

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/10 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thib2722 wrote:

You have to be super diligent to check your RV for bad caulk at least a few times each year. Recaulk ANY minor crack in the caulking. You'd be surprised how much water can wick through a minute crack. I had it happen to me; fortunately my insurer covered the repairs.

The other point is --- BUY GOOD INSURANCE. It's not the time for the value insurer. Make sure you have full, good coverage. My repairs were 8,000. I only had a 100 deductible to pay. Thank God I chose a good company.

We got a quote from our car insurer Geico for TT insurance, just to see what it might cost. Pretty inexpensive.

Color me dumb, but I hadn't thought about the possibility that insurance would cover delamination or other problems with a TT not directly related to an accident. Is this type of good coverage generally available???? If so, that could be the solution to my worries.

Is there an age limit to it or something?

Regards,

John

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/10 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure what you mean by age.
You must remember, TT's actually have 2 policies.
The first one is actually tied to your vehicle. It is covered going down the road.
The second is a good comprehensive policy. This is where everything else is covered. DO NOT skimp on this policy! Ours covers everything for replacement value. Awnings, antennas, glass breakage, blow out damage, tree damage, ect. For what it covers, it is well worth it!

04 Lariat Supercrew 4x4,5.4,3.73, Edge tuner, flowmaster duals
06 Trail Bay 31BH, nicely optioned
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy
Follow vehicle, 05 KIA Sorento EX for the golden retrievers.

IECamper

Driveway

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/10 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b_salgado wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by age.
You must remember, TT's actually have 2 policies.
The first one is actually tied to your vehicle. It is covered going down the road.
The second is a good comprehensive policy. This is where everything else is covered. DO NOT skimp on this policy! Ours covers everything for replacement value. Awnings, antennas, glass breakage, blow out damage, tree damage, ect. For what it covers, it is well worth it!

It just never occurred to me that comprehensive protection on a TT would cover delamination.

Not doubting you, but this makes me wonder why so many people report that they've paid thousands for repairs to out of warranty TT's that have had delamination problems.

I guess they just didn't have comprehensive protection?????

Is this something that most policies cover? Sorry for my ignorance here.

Regards,

John

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/10 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b_salgado wrote:

Unless you fill the interior of the RV with water, a little humidity inside, will evaporate long before it does any damage to the exterior of your RV. They simply do not seal up tight enough for interior humidity to be an issue.

You've obviously never run a dehumidifier in a travel trailer have you? We have a large 42 pint model in ours that runs around the clock and the 2 gallon bucket on it fills up in 24 hours during the winter time when the A/C is not running and approx. half that much during the summer when the A/C is also removing moisture.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/10 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You've obviously never run a dehumidifier in a travel trailer have you? We have a large 42 pint model in ours that runs around the clock and the 2 gallon bucket on it fills up in 24 hours during the winter time when the A/C is not running and approx. half that much during the summer when the A/C is also removing moisture.
Like I said before.... these units don't seal up tight enough for moisture to be an issue. Did you ever stop to think for one second that the dehumidifier may and could be pulling in moisture from outside? Same goes for your AC unit. You have to remember that the walls are only 2" thick at max! The roof vents are only plastic and have no gaskets. If the dehumidifier was pulling moisture out of the RV, don't you think it would eventually shut off with such a small space? I know I can put a dehumidifier in a damp basement and have it dried out and it will shut off in about 2 weeks. Then it just maintains. This is in an area that is heavily insulated and 5 times the size of an RV.

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/10 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Not doubting you, but this makes me wonder why so many people report that they've paid thousands for repairs to out of warranty TT's that have had delamination problems.

I guess they just didn't have comprehensive protection?????

Is this something that most policies cover? Sorry for my ignorance here.
I really can't answer that. I have never had to put in a claim for something of this nature. I know that I asked about the awning and the antenna, and the damage if a tree would drop a limb or something similar. I have friends and family that had their rigs awnings damaged and hit by lightning. ALL of the damages were covered with just their deductible being paid.
Delamination, depending on what caused it, is and can be put off on the owners negligence. If they don't check the seals and seams, then essentially, it's their fault. It really doesn't matter if the manufacturer did their job correctly or not.... it will be put off on the owner in the end. It's kind of sad to think about it this way but thats the way it is. My dads Nu Mar had serious roof issues. It was buckling like crazy. Upon further inspection, they found out that the roof decking was never fastened to the roof framing! All of the plywood was shifting around and causing the roof to buckle. Nu Mar wouldn't have anything to do with it! They offered no assistance and dad turned it in on his insurance. The insurance company paid for it, but they wanted full pictures during the repair process. Nu Mar also got a set of pictures.... they still refused to do anything! Keep in mind.... this was a $100,000 rig!

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/10 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b_salgado wrote:

don't you think it would eventually shut off with such a small space? I know I can put a dehumidifier in a damp basement and have it dried out and it will shut off in about 2 weeks. Then it just maintains. This is in an area that is heavily insulated and 5 times the size of an RV.

I have the digital read out set at 35% humidity on this dehumidifier and it cuts off quiet often. As a matter of fact it just now cut off as I was typing this. It'll stay off for a little while and then it'll kick back on. If we are going in and out of the trailer a lot during the day it'll run most of the time but at night it probably don't run but half the time.

I really doubt that your basement is opened up like a trailer door which is the reason your dehumidifier runs a lot less.

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/10 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I really doubt that your basement is opened up like a trailer door which is the reason your dehumidifier runs a lot less.
The basements are sub terranian. There is more humidity and moisture present than anywhere else. Ground water and soil conditions as well as construction of concrete slab determine moisture. Water will go right through concrete.... you don't think it can go through your thin little 2" sidewalls on your RV? Think again.
Your comment about the dehumidifier shutting off at night also makes no sense. At night, which is most likely when you spend the most time in the RV, you will place more moisture in the RV than any other time. The human body produces a lot of moisture. The more people in the RV, the greater the amount of moisture. Your dehumidifier should run double time during this period.

thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/10 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When towing, our truck insurance covers the camper. When parked, we have a comprehensive policy that is similar to homeowners. It covers storm damage, liability if someone falls downs or slams their hand in the door, and general mayhem like fires and the such.

Farm Bureau of Louisiana is who we use. While they aren't the cheapest, they have been good to us. My wife's van got smashed into in a hit and run, and they were great. My truck got vandalized at the airport, and they were great. We had recent storm damage to our RV roof, and they were super. The RV repair shop said they are by far the best RV insurance he's ever dealt with. Most of them, he said, would only cover storm damage if you ran into a flying limb while towing the RV down the road. That's absurd. He said most policies only limited to collision only for the type of damage we experienced. The storm damage drove water in the slide out seals, yes they're good and intact, and water until the front fiberglass shell. Delamination started in a few weeks. We had no idea until the darn thing started falling apart. They covered all the damage except for my $100 deductible. According to the RV repair shop, they were also VERY generous with the appraisal. I have more than enough money to fix it RIGHT.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Delamination questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.