Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What does self contained mean?

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/10/10 11:21am

What does self contained mean? Does it mean there are no holding tanks and why would anyone want one without holding tanks? Please explain this to me. I'm still searching but now am more serious now that hubby has retired. We just got back from Florida and the mattress in our cabin almost killed me. lol Thanks so much for enlightening me. I'm so new to this but raring to go. Thanks again.

Posted By: SWMO on 11/10/10 11:29am

Self contained means it has holding tanks, water tank, LP for cooking and warmth, lights and other necessary electrics are on battery, such as lights, water pump and furnace blower. Air and electrical outlets aren't considered necessary.

2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 11/10/10 11:31am

It has holding tanks, bathroom, and kitchen facilities

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: downtheroad on 11/10/10 11:32am

self-contained...loosely means able to be used without any type of outside assistance.

-Has holding tanks for freshwater supply and waste water.
-Has and electrical system that does not require outside power supply
-Has a gas (propane) system on board for space heating, water heating and cooking.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Posted By: PapPappy on 11/10/10 11:51am

Ditto!

If you can boondock in it....it's self contained.
OK, let me rephrase that....if you can boondock, without needing outside sources for water, toilet, and a power source, you are self contained. I guess you could boondock in the back of a van, but that's not really the same, as you would need to use other facilities for bathroom, shower, cooking, etc.

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ">
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.">
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008"> FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/10/10 11:55am

Leaving now to go see one I hope it has holding tanks I know that it has all the rest of the stuff. It's a 2002 American Star 5th wheel. Will post more when we get back. Thanks for all your replys.

Posted By: F-TROUP on 11/10/10 02:10pm

weebeemee wrote:

Leaving now to go see one I hope it has holding tanks I know that it has all the rest of the stuff. It's a 2002 American Star 5th wheel. Will post more when we get back. Thanks for all your replys.

I think you'll find everything you look at will have holding tanks. The truck you have will pull a very nice 5er.

Posted By: mpfireman on 11/10/10 02:44pm

When we bought our first pop up a ( TRAILSTAR ) in 1968, we also were never aware of the word self contained. Thus on our first trip out, Saturday to Michigan, we soon learned to never leave on a sat afternoon, as all camping spots are usually full. Seeing some campers parked behind a tavern, and it was getting dark, we asked if we could camp there. They asked if we were self contained, yes was my reply, not knowing what this meant. Lucky we were camped in a large open field, and it was dark, and we had all boys. Enough said.
The boys still talk about this first trip.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

Posted By: wandering1 on 11/10/10 02:50pm

If it is self contained then why would there be no holding tanks? Try wikipedia.[emoticon]

HR

Posted By: rockylarson on 11/10/10 03:06pm

BLM LTVA define self contained as having a permanently installed black water holding tank 10gallons or larger.
[emoticon]
17. Self-Contained Vehicles
•a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk, and Hot Springs LTVAs, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault or rest room.
•b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent, affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.

* This post was edited 11/10/10 03:25pm by rockylarson *

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Posted By: sirdrakejr on 11/10/10 04:13pm

Moved from 5th wheels to Gen'l RVing Issues.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/10/10 08:44pm

We did go look at this 5th wheel and it had some nice features and it is self contained ( holding tanks) black, grey and what ever the water one is called. I still like the Arctic Fox the best and we are going to take another look at that one. I have researched 5th wheels to death and get so mixed up I think I need to just jump in with both feet and make a decision before we get to old to even travel. LOl

Thank all of you who explained (self-contained) to me. I thought it had to have holding tanks to be called s-c but was not sure that is what that really meant. I think we are getting closer to narrowing our choices down. I sure hope so I am so ready to get started. Is it too late in the year to be buying one though?

Posted By: hershey on 11/10/10 08:45pm

Thats a term that I haven't heard in years. Back in the mid-60's it was a common term because a good number of RV's weren't self contained. My first two campers weren't self contained. Really had to rough it back then, now roughing it means not putting out the slides at Walmart [emoticon]

hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/10/10 09:07pm

I have been looking at fifth wheels online and it sometimes list
SELF CONTAINED YES and sometimes it will say NO so that concerned me.
I like you thought all 5th wheels were self contained but why would they have that listed and some said yes and some said no? If they didn't have holding tanks what would they have? Just hoses? It was confusing to me so I wondered juat what made one self contained.

Posted By: Earl E on 11/10/10 10:28pm

weebeemee wrote:

I still like the Arctic Fox the best and we are going to take another look at that one. I have researched 5th wheels to death and get so mixed up I think I need to just jump in with both feet and make a decision before we get to old to even travel. LOl

I know you didn't ask (this forum is great for answering questions that the OP didn't ask) but we have an Arctic Fox and love it. It doesn't have some of the fancy add-ons and glitz as some but it is built like a tank and meant to last. You find very, very few disgruntled owners. If you haven't found it, there is an owners forum that can answer questions: http://www.afnash.com/forum.php

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Posted By: PattieAM on 11/11/10 07:13am

My take is that 'self-contained' means you need no connections/hookups from outside to reside short term in the unit (holding tanks, freshwater tank, battery, etc).

Posted By: ShapeShifter on 11/11/10 07:46am

weebeemee wrote:

I have been looking at fifth wheels online and it sometimes list
SELF CONTAINED YES and sometimes it will say NO so that concerned me.
I like you thought all 5th wheels were self contained but why would they have that listed and some said yes and some said no?

My guess would be that the "no" is a mistake. Maybe the misunderstood the meaning (as you did at first) or didn't know the right answer and were being conservative, or maybe they just clicked in the wrong spot. Or maybe no is the default answer and they just skipped that question when filling in the details.

I think you'll find many park models abd FEMA trailers with no tanks, and some small popups and truck campers with no tanks, but just about everything else will have them. But if course, it's wise to keep you eye out for the odd exception.

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

Posted By: Cloud Dancer on 11/11/10 07:55am

For me, it's gotta mean that two people can live in it for 7 days, and have all the comforts/conveniences of home. This means, slideouts and big-capacity tanks AND a quiet generator that'll run everything at the same time. Of course, it's understood that even a large RV has a smaller living space than an average stix/brix house.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Posted By: StanleyandIris on 11/11/10 02:50pm

Self-contained used to mean you had your own potty with a black water holding tank aboard as there were no bathrooms on site. It didn't refer to whether you had a power source or a shower.

Iris

Posted By: rolling_rhoda on 11/11/10 03:27pm

The camping area for an event we attend stipulates that it's for "self-contained units only". That means no hookups - no power, no water, no sewer, no bathrooms in the area. If you need anything, you had to have your own supply. We basically pay to park in a meadow.

Perhaps a fiver that is not self-contained doesn't have a sizeable genny to power the rig or an inverter?? Just a guess. Mrs. D

Posted By: MrWizard on 11/11/10 06:04pm

like other have said,
the definition of.self contained means
a supply of ffresh water is on board, and the tiler and gray and black tanks are on board

No Water or.waste to be.spilled carried dumped removed from rv

only regular disposable trash fit for trash cans and.dumpsters

lighting,.cooking, and electric power are options we all want but are not a defined part of "self containmement"

self containment for an event site is.usually defined as. no water no toilet-sewer facilities, no showers, no power,
you must.bring your own and take all your water waste with you when leaving

that said, you won't find a class can,.class a, tt, or 5vr that is.not self contained

you can find some "travel vans" ,.and certainly some popups that do.not have holding tanks,

ALSO ASSUME that "Park Model" trailers or 5vr are.not.contained

park models don't have holding tanks

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Posted By: tatest on 11/12/10 12:27am

It means, whatever you expect to do while camped, you can do in your RV.

For example, if you need one or more showers every day, your self contained RV needs a shower. If you don't need to shower, your RV doesn't need one.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/12/10 08:57am

Now I'm not afraid to go look at one that says not self contained because I think that if it's a 5th wheel they probably have tanks. I think some of you are right that they are not sure, as I was, what exactly self contained, means. I think I already know which one we will buy, the one that I looked at last year and really liked and it is still for sale, even tho they camped in it last weekend. At least I know everything still works and I think that when they sell it they plan to get a motor home. It is not fancy but it has all the things I was looking for in a used camper, well almost.
Thank you for all your expertise that's why I always come here for advice. Sincerely, weebeemee

Posted By: WTTCS on 11/12/10 09:00am

It means you dont have to wear depends!!

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

Posted By: PAThwacker on 11/12/10 09:36am

We have a pup with a 26 gallon FW capacity, and six gallon black capacity.
Pretty much all pups are not self-contained.

2007 Jayco Select 12HW.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/12/10 03:00pm

WTTCS [emoticon]

Posted By: wandering1 on 11/12/10 05:41pm

You sre not ready, find something else to do.

Posted By: RangerJay on 11/12/10 07:17pm

It means you can enjoy all the comforts your unit has to offer - without the benefit of any hook-ups.

Jay

2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

Posted By: Broccoli1 on 11/13/10 09:14am

wandering1 wrote:

If it is self contained then why would there be no holding tanks? Try wikipedia.[emoticon]

or an Rv Forum

What's your problem anyway?
[emoticon]

06 F250 V10 SB 4x4 Gulp Gulp
WW FSC2800
Rhino 660- 1980 Cobalt 18DV
CRF 50 & CRF 70
"Shoot, I'm the world's best backwards driver!"

Posted By: weebeemee on 11/13/10 05:10pm

I went back, reread my first post and I guess I didn't make myself clear. I'm sorry.[emoticon] I should have said, I have researched 5th wheels online and a lot of them list Self Contained as: Yes or No And I noticed a good amount of them would say NO so I wondered Why? Did it mean there were (no holding tanks) because they seemed to have everything else. That's why I asked the people on this forum because I knew I would get my answer here. I did Google and did not get a clear answer[emoticon], so I came here.

So many of you have been so gracious and gave me so many great answers. I thank all of you.

Print  |  Close