|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Dolly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rjlein

Gresham, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/10 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I needed to get my camper in my RV bay but with only a 10 foot door obviously it wasn't going to happen with the camper on the truck. Had a welder modify an old tent trailer frame so the camper could sit on it, my height and width tolerances were very tight. Wasn't sure I could push the thing back into my garage and keep good control of it by myself so he installed a 3000lb electric winch on the trailer so now with the push of a button the thing winches itself in there. All I gotta do is steer it, worked so darn slick it was a thing of beauty. Gotta share.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

2011 F350 CC, Lariat, 6.2, SRW, 4:30 Locking Diff, 11,200 GVWR
2011 Lance 950S

clinthia

Flathead County, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/10 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great job. Thought I was going to have to do the same but, lucked out.
[image]

Clint

2007.5 Dodge 3500 4X4 Crewcab with 6.7 Cummins
2004 EC950 w/ slideout
2 Costco 6 volts
Yamaha EF1000IS
Kyocera solar panel
GO POWER 300 watt 12 volt PSW inverter
TorkLift tiedowns with Fastguns
Timbrens
Homemade bumpstops
The Schnauzers Madeline & Genevieve

explorer0863

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/10 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job. Looks great and functional! Excellent support for the TC when parked in the garage.

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins Diesel H.O. Engine, 6 Spd
2004 Lance 1161, Generac 3.5 LPG Generator
1994 Range Rover Classic LWB
Proud vet of Operations Desert Storm, Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom - USAF Security Forces

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/10 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice Job

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

portscanner

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/10 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Impressive!!!!

One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2016 Forrest River Forester 2501WS MBS
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/10 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you need a winch? Couldn't you use the truck to back it in or do you not have a hitch on the truck?
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Raminwyo

rocky mtns

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/10 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tha trailer looks really nice--clean. You have answered some of my questions. I also have a 10 ft door and need a way to store a TC in the garage. Where did you get the trailer? just get lucky and find one?
What type of tires are you using on the trailer? Also--did you try and push it by hand, just to see if it was possible?
Nice job.

rjlein

Gresham, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/10 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might be able to push it in by hand, that was the original idea. Then we saw this remote operated electric winch and thought bingo! All I gotta do is steer and make sure the sides dont touch. Backing it up with the truck was an option too but my driveway is on a curve and I have maybe two inches of clearance all around. I'm not afraid of backing up a trailer but with a crewcab, on a curve, with that little clearance I was a little concerned. The tent trailer frame was literally just that, the welder just cut everything off wider than the camper footprint, extended the axle and slapped some new tires on. That along with the paint job, carpet and winch and I'm all set. I may put some different tires on with a little more capacity, these are rated at 1100lbs (or so) but it only has to go 25ft straight back (and back out in the spring). I'm going to need to put some sort of roller or fairlead on the camper bumper because the cable will rub if I don't. I used just a block of wood to keep the cable off the bumper getting the thing in there but I don't think that's a good long term solution.

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/10 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweet, just sweet! Wish I had a 10' door!

Thanks,

Bill

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/10 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very neat idea and use of what is available.

For a cheap fairlead, you can use a piece of pipe. Though moving the cable up to the height of the trailer so you are just pulling straight. Just use a 8' 4x4 to catch several studs on each side of the anchor point and you will be set.

I wouldn't worry about the tires much, but I would worry about all the weight on the front roller. It is carrying at least 1/2 of the camper weight. You may want to consider moving the trailer axle forward to near the middle of the base to reduce the front roller wieght. Have you to considered using some jackstands or blocks to remove the weight off the rubber tires so they don't flatten over time?

Lastly, have you figured out how to use the winch to pull it out? Maybe a large pulley mounted on the back so the cable can be run back to the front. I totally agree moving it by the winch and not the truck because of the clearance. To easy to hit something before you realize it.

Again, great idea!

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS