Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: OBD connector location, '99 Ford Motorhome chassis

Posted By: Nat on 11/19/10 10:21pm

I've contorted my body and peered under the dash of my SeaView mh and I can't find the OBD connector! This thing has a 275 hp Triton V-10 in it. I need to read the codes to find out why the "service engine soon" light is on!

Nat

Posted By: cm on 11/19/10 10:35pm

It is on the right side of the steering column. You may have to take off the plastic trim that goes around the steering column. It is fastened to the steering column.

Posted By: MountainAir05 on 11/20/10 01:11pm

my 99 was located in the wiring harness loom again as stated on the right side of the steering column. It's just open a wiring harness carefully and tape back when you fine it.

Posted By: glorio on 11/20/10 02:24pm

Mine is on the right side of the steering column and
it had a dummy plug in it which hide the connector.

less is more

Posted By: havin fun on 11/20/10 03:51pm

ours is on the right side of the sterring colom clear up in the corner .you have to take off the lower cover and still look for it . i took out the weird screw and let it hang down so i don't have to fight to get to it .

retired
havin fun with 1999 georgie boy 3515
and the wife too .
V-10 ford ">">">">">">
SLOW DOWN AND SMELL THE FLOWERS

Posted By: C-Leigh Racing on 11/20/10 05:02pm

I've contorted my body and peered under the dash of my SeaView mh and I can't find the OBD connector! This thing has a 275 hp Triton V-10 in it. I need to read the codes to find out why the "service engine soon" light is on!

When did your SES light come on ??.
Started my 99 F-53 today to go fill the propane tank, SES light came on & stayed on.
Wonder if they are sending out a signal or something to make those lights come on.

Oh & thanks for the post, cause I was wondering where that port was myself.
Neil

Posted By: pkunk on 11/20/10 05:26pm

An SES light is an emissions code. Anything from a loose gas cap to an actual running problem causing a misfire will set it off.

So long as the light isn't flashing and the vehicle is running normal it's safe to drive. If the light is off after being parked it's a passive code, the system will run it's checks and if it happens again it'll turn the light on.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Posted By: Nat on 11/22/10 06:23pm

Well thank you all for your quick responses!
There is indeed a connector with a dummy cap on it under there--but not the one I was expecting. This thing is OBDI certified and I have an OBDII reader--are the connectors different? That's what it looks like. If that's the case I guess my reader won't work. The "service engine soon" light has been on for quite a while and I suspect the O2 sensor but I'd sure like to see what the codes are.

Posted By: LVJ58 on 11/22/10 07:21pm

Nat if you have a 99 with the v10 when you remove the cap it should accommodate an OBD II reader unless someone has changed it which is rather unlikely.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Posted By: Nat on 11/22/10 08:13pm

That's what I thought but the connector I'm finding is very different and smaller than the OBDII connector and I don't see anything else!

Posted By: LVJ58 on 11/23/10 07:35am

Quote:

That's what I thought but the connector I'm finding is very different and smaller than the OBDII connector and I don't see anything else!

That's strange, is the connector you located attached to the right side of the steering column support bracket with the plug-in opening facing upward?

That's where the OBDII connector is located on our 2000 coach.

Posted By: Nat on 11/23/10 10:04am

I found it! As you said, it's mounted (firmly) to the steering column up where it's almost impossible to see no matter how contorted I get--but by following wiring harnesses with my hand and peering with a flashlight I finally found it. I had to remove the panel with the generator start/stop switches etc. to get the reader cable in and at the connector but that worked. Code 0113, "Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input"--sounds like a bad temperature sensor or wiring defect. Now I have to find that sensor. Anyone know where I can get a factory service manual for this chassis? I haven't found one on the net yet.

Posted By: C-Leigh Racing on 11/23/10 11:04am

Wonder if the cooler weathers got anything to do with it. Could it be such a thing causing this.
My light just came on the other day, but the engine runs as good as it ever has, no skip loss of power or different trans shift, nothing.
Neil

Posted By: rich racin on 11/23/10 12:44pm

on my 1999 the OBD II connector is under the steering column. Your 99 would have required a OBD II which started in 1996. The connector is a std 16 pin. hope you find it. Before OBD there were a various connectors unique to the different manufacturers.

link

Rich & Karen
1999 Coachman Santara
Malibu Tow'd

Posted By: rich racin on 11/23/10 12:53pm

glad you found it. THe code P0113 is for the IAT( idle air control) indicates the sensor signal is greater than self- test maximum. Maximum voltage is 4.6 volts Possible causes are improper harness connection, faulty PCM, THis info is from my scanner. I never had this on mine. I did get a manual which is a set of CD's that we bought from e bay. Helms now has the wiring manual in print but I have not seen the whole service manual yet.
good luck
rich
oops I think the IAT is different sensor not the idle air control.

Posted By: MountainAir05 on 11/23/10 01:27pm

rich racin wrote:

on my 1999 the OBD II connector is under the steering column. Your 99 would have required a OBD II which started in 1996. The connector is a std 16 pin. hope you find it. Before OBD there were a various connectors unique to the different manufacturers.

link

Just added info, Some 99/2000 Fords did not have OBD11, they got OBD1

Posted By: rich racin on 11/23/10 01:34pm

IAT location
[image]

The electrical manual says that the resistance decreases as air intake air temp increases. THe PCM uses the voltage to calculate idle speed, fuel delivery, spark timing and EGR control.

I would have to do more research to see what the range of resistance should be

rich

Posted By: C-Leigh Racing on 11/23/10 05:59pm

Check this code out
P0705
transmission range sensor, A curcuit
park /

Now what the heck does that mean.
Neil

* This post was edited 11/24/10 09:09am by C-Leigh Racing *

Posted By: Nat on 11/24/10 10:06am

Rich, is that electrical manual available somewhere? Any idea where to get it and/or the factory service manual for this chassis?

Print  |  Close