Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: camping with the truck camper off the truck

Posted By: jewel2010 on 12/02/10 10:26am

I'm a newbie with a truck camper. If I take the camper off the truck during a camping trip, can I camp with it just supported by the jacs? I have a BIg Foot with a slide.

Posted By: janechucknicodemus on 12/02/10 11:07am

Although the size is a LOT different. We used to drop the camper off and go fishing, take aside trip .But I always had some blocks PLUS the side jacks.With wide 2x12 x1' long for under the jack.
You will get 50 different ideas, but what you may do is try it out at a small area first and then go for it.
Congrats on your NEWBE.[emoticon]

Posted By: 1GypsyRose on 12/02/10 11:14am

You will get many answers on this, but here's my 2 cents . . .

We always take the camper off the truck. We have a set of 4 jacks (bought at Wally World) that we use on the 4 corners of the "basement" of the TC. We have pieces of 2x4 cut to set between the jacks and camper. We also have a set of slide out jacks (2) for additional support and stability of the slide. I don't think you can be too cautious when it comes to supporting the camper. We lower the camper as low as possible and still be able to put the jacks under it.

We did use it a few times with no jacks and just felt it was too wobbly for my sense of comfort.

Enjoy and many happy and safe travels!

John & Debbie
Elmo & Titan - The Trucking Puppies

2010 Travel Lite 1000SLRX Truck Camper - "Our Lakehouse"
2002 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW 4x4
2001 Bryant 232 - "It's Alright Now" - Found a good home
2009 Bryant 268 - "DebbaritaVille"

Our Adventures

Posted By: Less Stuff on 12/02/10 11:17am

Not all campers should be used off the truck on the jacks.
Check owners manual or manufacture for recommendations.

* This post was edited 12/02/10 11:32am by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Posted By: JohnAM on 12/02/10 04:17pm

jewel2010 wrote:

I'm a newbie with a truck camper. If I take the camper off the truck during a camping trip, can I camp with it just supported by the jacs? I have a BIg Foot with a slide.

Yes, the only precaution I take is to put some plywood under the jacks if not on pavement or very firm ground...and I lower it as much as possible.

I was camped here for 9 days.

[image]

2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

Posted By: Popkorn on 12/02/10 04:42pm

This is how I approach this topic - your views may be different.

If you will lower your BF till there is about 12" of the black jack leg showing your camper will be OK to camp in. I can't quote a percentage but the mass weight of the camper is behind the front jacks. I suppose if you had more than three/four people in the bed it's possible for the camper to tip but it's highly unlikely with just the two of you.

Lowering the camper as above is how the service company stations the camper when it's in the shop for maintenance and they are crawling all over the roof and interion.

Also when you are home and "storing" your BF make sure you lower it again. Lowering the camper takes the strain and twisting the camper experiences when it's at the upper limit of the jacks. Strong gusts of wind will cause the camper to wobble and that can damage a jack

The suggestion above about blocking the feet of the jacks I agree 100%. I use a couple of 2X8X12 pieces under each jack, and carry them with me in case I need to unload for some emergency reason.

Jerry Crawford

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted By: maximus on 12/02/10 06:30pm

Removal is so stressful and dangerous (the way I do it) that it has stayed on the truck for the last 2 years.
It's very easy to take it everywhere, just like you would if you had a motorhome with no toad.
In fact, while running around, we eat, rest, potti, change clothes in it. Something we couldn't do if we had only the truck. The only limitation, is, don't go under awnings at atm's.
Maybe with the proper set-up, I would feel more comfortable with removable, but I think my wife would object.
don
sunnybrook

Posted By: RZAR66 on 12/02/10 08:38pm

Lots of Stuff wrote:

Really?? Wow this is news to me. I thought that was the whole purpose of the jacks. So I have to carry along extra jacks, blocks and wood just to camp with your TC off the truck? where do you store all of that stuff? Im new to this TC stuff and am shopping for one. I like the idea of dropping off the TC at the site and being able to drive around but now it seems like its going to be a chore.

1995 Ford F-350 DRW 7.5
2014 Lance 1050S

Posted By: dadwolf2 on 12/02/10 11:58pm

Those who take off your TC while camping - are you concerned about 1 of the jacks failing and now you are stuck with a TC off the truck? Especially those who go to areas off the beaten track?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Posted By: USMC2010 on 12/03/10 12:08am

dadwolf2 wrote:

Those who take off your TC while camping - are you concerned about 1 of the jacks failing and now you are stuck with a TC off the truck? Especially those who go to areas off the beaten track?

Nope, never even given it a thought.

2002 Chevy 2500HD LS Extended Cab 4x4 6.0 gas 4.10 rear SWB
Firestone Ride-Rite
Torquelift Quick Disconnect Stableload
2016 Forest River Sandstorm T250SLC
MSgt USMC retired

Posted By: Dirtpig on 12/03/10 12:58am

dadwolf2 wrote:

This type of thing can happen, but it would not be the end of the world.

About 5 years ago I was camping in a remote place, there was only one other older couple at this lake and they were removing there camper from the truck since they were going to be staying for 2weeks. He had the older style manual hydraulic jacks which you have to open the valve manually to lower. His wife was helping him doing their routine "open, ok now close" type deal. Except when he told her to close the valve she opened it wide open and the camper came crashing down onto the front left side and bent the front 2 jacks in half.

I helped them jack the camper up onto some firewood and 2x4 blocks using his truck sparetire jack. He then drove the 2.5hrs into the nearest decent sized town and ordered 4 new electric powered remote jacks so he would have full control lol. 5days later he drove back to town and picked them up and installed them at the campsite.

Bad luck, but not the end of the world.

I wouldn't worry about camping in the camper off the truck one bit.

2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

Posted By: DGrid39 on 12/03/10 05:31am

As you can see we are fishermen..We always unload and don't use extra blocks & jacks..Our camper is lighter than the "Big Boys" and has steel reinforcement rails running underneath the floor...We lower it down as much as possible & it doesn't rock...

Again, our camper loaded is around 2000lbs..

[image]
[image]

Posted By: mkirsch on 12/03/10 06:54am

RZAR66 wrote:

Lots of Stuff wrote:

Really?? Wow this is news to me. I thought that was the whole purpose of the jacks. So I have to carry along extra jacks, blocks and wood just to camp with your TC off the truck? where do you store all of that stuff? Im new to this TC stuff and am shopping for one. I like the idea of dropping off the TC at the site and being able to drive around but now it seems like its going to be a chore.

Yes, really.

The point of the jacks is to allow you to unload the camper and use the truck for something else.

There are SOME campers that are not designed to be used without support under the floor.

MOST campers can be used on the jacks just fine. You simply need to do your research before you buy, and make sure the camper you're looking at can be used off the truck.

If the camper does need support, there are clever solutions.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Posted By: JohnAM on 12/03/10 09:43am

dadwolf2 wrote:

I don't worry about it. Sudden failure of a jack is very unlikely. Inspect and pay attention to how they are working if you are worried about it. You have to use them to get it off and if anything isn't working right you will know then. I did have a fridge failure while gone for several days one time and came back to dead batteries cause it ran on DC instead of propane. I had electric jacks and had to use the hand crank one at a time to get it back on the truck. Kind of a PITA and slow but not a major issue. IMHO biggest risk with this is unloading on unstable ground where the jack can sink or move. Be careful selecting your site and this will not be a problem. I tow a boat frequently and almost always unload unless I will be camped only one night.

People who think this is hard need more practice. Only thing I consider at all hard is that when loading you must carefully align the truck to the camper. That takes a little practice and caution but is not hard (see all the alignment suggestions in TCU). Everything else is easy and I do it by myself frequently. I now have remote control electric jacks and they really help.

Posted By: RZAR66 on 12/03/10 09:52am

mkirsch wrote:

RZAR66 wrote:

Lots of Stuff wrote:

Yes, really.

The point of the jacks is to allow you to unload the camper and use the truck for something else.

There are SOME campers that are not designed to be used without support under the floor.

MOST campers can be used on the jacks just fine. You simply need to do your research before you buy, and make sure the camper you're looking at can be used off the truck.

If the camper does need support, there are clever solutions.

Thanks for the heads up. That will be the first question I ask when I am camper shopping.

Posted By: 1GypsyRose on 12/03/10 09:58am

In response to the jacks and wood issue, we store them in the generator compartment (since we don't have a generator). Again, these things are probably not an absolute necessity, however, we are firm believers in "better safe than sorry". It only takes a few extra minutes to get set up with the jacks and gives us both a little peace of mind. Our TC is also of the heavier stature (about 3600 lbs dry), so we try to be a little more cautious with it. The time it takes to use the jacks is trivial compared to having to replace the electric jacks or do repairs to the TC.

Posted By: Tamnative on 12/03/10 09:18pm

Viper79 wrote:

dadwolf2 wrote:

This type of thing can happen, but it would not be the end of the world.

About 5 years ago I was camping in a remote place, there was only one other older couple at this lake and they were removing there camper from the truck since they were going to be staying for 2weeks. He had the older style manual hydraulic jacks which you have to open the valve manually to lower. His wife was helping him doing their routine "open, ok now close" type deal. Except when he told her to close the valve she opened it wide open and the camper came crashing down onto the front left side and bent the front 2 jacks in half.

I helped them jack the camper up onto some firewood and 2x4 blocks using his truck sparetire jack. He then drove the 2.5hrs into the nearest decent sized town and ordered 4 new electric powered remote jacks so he would have full control lol. 5days later he drove back to town and picked them up and installed them at the campsite.

Bad luck, but not the end of the world.

I wouldn't worry about camping in the camper off the truck one bit.

The EXACT same thing happened to me and the wife in the driveway,the up side was that there was NO argument about getting new electric jacks with remote. She even went with me to get them. Now years later and several campers it is one of the MUST HAVE options per the Boss aka wife.

2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

Posted By: jenkinsph on 12/04/10 11:26pm

What I found is the jack attachment points were very weak. I built new jack mountings with angle iron that wraps around the corners in all three directions. This provides much better support and stiffness to the jacks. I also add a square tubing brace across the lower rear edge that helps stiffen and brace the rear jack tubes. If you can stiffen the two rear legs it makes a big difference in how steady it is when raised up to load. I always lower the camper all the way down to the ground and extend only enough to level it out.

Posted By: BobTowne on 12/11/10 12:40pm

At the risk of causing a commotion, I'd like to ask what the great interest is in camping with the camper off the vehicle. I bought a truck camper because it allows me to travel with my "camp" always set up in a form that lets me travel much the same as I would in my car. I don't have to "set up camp", pitch a tent, unload a trailer or 5er at every stop. I can park nearly anywhere I could park my car or at least within walking distance of anything I want to see or visit. I've also got a much better view of the sights from my camper on the truck than on the ground. And I've got all the comforts of home right there. I've got no interest in taking my camper off the truck except for trips to Home Depot or the like to transport truck-sized loads home. And it's so nice to have a forum like this to vent, too, eh?

GreatWhite
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Quadcab Dually
2004 Alpenlite Santa Fe 1150

Posted By: pa traveler on 12/11/10 01:43pm

If I am going to haul a boat to fishing area ,it would work out better to have camper hooked up off the truck.You can launch and retrieve boat easier ,especially if your staying four or five days.

Posted By: KenandLaRae on 12/20/10 07:47pm

I take the camper off anytime we have the boat along. I use wally world alum jacks which can be adjusted to get level. with 2 4x4s the length of the base of the camper 2 2x4s cut the width of the camper and the 2x4s fit inside notched out of the 4x4, a 3/4 plywood which goes on the top of the 4x4s. This supports the camper floor and makes a stable base. I alsouse this setup for storage. The camper jacks are left slightly off the ground with 1/4 inch clearence.I use 8- 2x12 square blocks for support under alum jack and camper jacks. Works great all of the stuff is stored in my boat when traveling. It take about 15-20 minutes set up.

Posted By: Geewizard on 12/25/10 09:58am

In my 6 years of TCing, I've never taken the TC off while camping. And always launch my boat with the TC on the truck.

Merry Christmas to all!

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Posted By: Geewizard on 12/25/10 10:00am

DGrid39 wrote:

As you can see we are fishermen..We always unload and don't use extra blocks & jacks..Our camper is lighter than the "Big Boys" and has steel reinforcement rails running underneath the floor...We lower it down as much as possible & it doesn't rock...

Again, our camper loaded is around 2000lbs..

DGrid39, what brand TC do you own? Your setup looks great!

Posted By: Windwalker55 on 12/25/10 02:54pm

I made some plywood supports that I slide together and place under the camper when I take it off. They sit under the camper when I have it in the bed of the pickup. I used one sheet of 1/2" plywood and sprayed it with black paint. Here are some photos.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
On the camper
[image]
Larry

2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

Posted By: DGrid39 on 12/25/10 03:36pm

Larry, Our camper is a 2010 Palomino Bronco 1251..It is an entry model but has served us well..

I really like your support set-up....Great idea..

I think if the snow ever melts I will copy your design..You can never have "too much" support..

Posted By: DGrid39 on 12/25/10 03:56pm

Geewizard wrote:

In my 6 years of TCing, I've never taken the TC off while camping. And always launch my boat with the TC on the truck.

Merry Christmas to all!

With all due respect this would be a pain for me.

Disconnect the electric & water & sewer(if used)
Hook the boat trailer up
Launch the boat
Leave the camper at the ramp all day.
Load boat
Unhook boat trailer from camper
reconnect power, water, etc.

Too much trouble for me every day for a week of camping.

I guess what works for one doesn't work for all...

Posted By: Geewizard on 12/25/10 05:05pm

DGrid39 wrote:

Geewizard wrote:

Merry Christmas to all!

Hook the boat trailer up
Launch the boat
Load boat

With all due respect, we live in different places with different boat launching/camping situations. I don't recall saying that YOU should do what I do. [emoticon]

Posted By: dpgerson on 12/25/10 11:08pm

Do it all the time:
[image]

Did have an interesting adventure once though:

dueling jacks

2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

Posted By: DGrid39 on 12/26/10 06:36am

Geewizard wrote:

DGrid39 wrote:

Geewizard wrote:

Merry Christmas to all!

Hook the boat trailer up
Launch the boat
Load boat

With all due respect, we live in different places with different boat launching/camping situations. I don't recall saying that YOU should do what I do. [emoticon]

Sorry, didn't mean to Pee in your oatmeal...[emoticon] I did say that it would be a pain for "me"

Also:::I guess what works for one doesn't work for "all"

Again, I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers...

Posted By: Geewizard on 12/26/10 11:42am

No worries whatsoever.

Posted By: Less Stuff on 12/26/10 03:56pm

A word of caution for those who regularly unload their campers for use, as we often do.
We gave up our boat ending our need to tow with the TC.
Now a Travel Trailer seems more attractive for our travel use.
So lots of off the truck, camper use can lead to Travel Trailer ownership.

Posted By: Fishbreath on 12/28/10 06:09pm

I used to take my Lance off of the truck all the time. Once a base camp was established, we could drive to area streams to fish.
When I went to replace my Lance I was ready to purchase a Bigfoot Camper. I found what I liked and then called the company to ask what they recommended for "off truck" use. Bigfoot stated that their products are not designed for use off truck, no matter how much support was placed under the main floor.
I ended up going the 5er route because I could find no other camper that I liked.
Best of luck!
Bill

Posted By: MuddyPaws1 on 12/28/10 06:15pm

Fishbreath wrote:

Bigfoot stated that their products are not designed for use off truck, no matter how much support was placed under the main floor.

That's just silly. So they don't recommend camping in it when it's sitting on the vehicle? That would be when it's just sitting on it's floor. Wouldn't that count as some kind of floor support?

Any TC that is not designed to be camped in when off the truck is pointless. You might as well buy a C. That's just stupid.

Posted By: Neverhappy on 12/31/10 08:40am

Fishbreath wrote:

I used to take my Lance off of the truck all the time. Once a base camp was established, we could drive to area streams to fish.
When I went to replace my Lance I was ready to purchase a Bigfoot Camper. I found what I liked and then called the company to ask what they recommended for "off truck" use. Bigfoot stated that their products are not designed for use off truck, no matter how much support was placed under the main floor.
I ended up going the 5er route because I could find no other camper that I liked.
Best of luck!
Bill

Not true, I checked many years ago, and it is OK to camp in a Bigfoot off the truck, I've been doing it for the past ten years....

Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

Posted By: Reddog1 on 12/31/10 11:47am

I think further investigation into camping with a Bigfoot on or off of the truck requires a bit more investigation. For example, when was the question ask of Bigfoot, and does it apply to all models. I think you will discover they are not all the same. As I recall, but might stand corrected, the basement model Bigfoot TCs, are OK to be used off the truck. The non-basement models are not recommended for use off the truck.

My Bigfoot is a 1988 non-basement model. I think I read in the paper work, it is not recommended for off truck use due to the flexing of the floor. The flexing of the floor may cause hairline cracks in the fiberglass floor area. I have used mine off the truck when stored in front of my garage. I do not have cracks, but I usually support the center of the floor.

I have had several TC before this one, that were non-basement. The floor flexed in all of them. I always supported the floor when using them off the truck.

I have no need to remove my TC when camping, and a Class C would not offer the same options as my TC.

Wayne

Posted By: D&SBarnes on 12/31/10 04:15pm

One item I seem to recall about some Bigfoot models is the way the tanks were supported. It seems like they were running into problems when used (tanks full) and the floor was not supported. They may have altered the designs since then.
It also may have only been just a few TC's that had issues, but there was more than one that had the tank drop.

In any case I think that in the interest of security and safety, putting at least the upright interlocking plywood panels under the floor should be considered when using a fully loaded TC off the truck. It would be especially true with the heaviest slide out equipped models. Don't want to go that route, then seriously consider a different lifting system.
The jacks have not improved all that much and you do get occasional failures, but more than that the way they mount into the body of the camper just isn't solid enough to take fully loaded TC with people moving about inside and stay solid year after year. Too much frame deflection and too many seal problems develop at the mounting points which can later lead to major problems.

You might be able to spin a basketball on your finger tips, but imagine trying to do the same thing with a medicine ball or 16 lb bowling ball.
Keeping additional weight upright and moving on a small point of support is not key to longevity.
Another example is trying to use a tall barstool to stand on instead of a solid heavy duty ladder. They might both be able to support 300 lbs, but which one works better and isn't prone to topple?

As stated earlier, the jacks main purpose is to remove the camper from the truck, not necessarily to be able to hold it up while using it. Some models are going to be better at it than others, but in any case it makes sense to try and not have them as the only thing holding things up while using it.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Dave & Sue,
DINKS and dedicated to having fun as much as possible.

05 GMC LT crewcab dually
07 Northern Lite 10.2 CD SE, highly optioned version...
A lot comes on a SE.

Posted By: MuddyPaws1 on 12/31/10 07:15pm

I am not doubting that there are some cheap campers out there that they don't want you camping in them off the rig with the floor unsupported.

What I think is bull is the whole "their products are not designed for use off truck, no matter how much support was placed under the main floor."

I mean think about it. That would mean that even when it's sitting on the floor you can't camp in it. Means in the bed of the truck, when all that is supporting it is the fact that it's sitting on the floor....you can't camp in it.

Posted By: Reddog1 on 12/31/10 10:14pm

MuddyPaws1 wrote:

I am not doubting that there are some cheap campers out there that they don't want you camping in them off the rig with the floor unsupported.
To say, they are "cheap campers" is open for discussion, and in my opinion not at all true.

MuddyPaws1 wrote:

What I think is bull is the whole "their products are not designed for use off truck, no matter how much support was placed under the main floor."
This may or may not be true, as having been said by a manufacture. I have not been told that by a manufacture, and certainly question that applying to all TCs by a given manufacture. There was probably more to the discussion than a simple statement.

MuddyPaws1 wrote:

I mean think about it. That would mean that even when it's sitting on the floor you can't camp in it. Means in the bed of the truck, when all that is supporting it is the fact that it's sitting on the floor....you can't camp in it.
It is easy to read into the post, and speculate what was said. It is also easy to understand why any manufacture would not be interested in writing a book of exceptions.

Wayne

Posted By: MuddyPaws1 on 12/31/10 11:10pm

Reddog1 wrote:

To say, they are "cheap campers" is open for discussion, and in my opinion not at

I meant cheaply built...they are still expensive in cost.

If the floor is such that no matter what kind of support you put under it won't allow for camping off the truck then this is a cheaply built camper and of no practical use.

Posted By: Neverhappy on 01/01/11 02:27am

If the non basement models need to be supported, why would they authorize their dealers to leave them unsupported , with hundreds of custommers visiting them.
In the non basement models you don't walk on the shell...

Posted By: Reddog1 on 01/01/11 02:40am

Guys, respectfully I think the discussion is going down a road based on a statement made by one persons brief statement to a conversation they had with one person. I suggest it be taken with a grain of salt.

As for "why would they authorize their dealers to leave them unsupported , with hundreds of custommers visiting them." I have to ask who knows this, or is it just assumed. Personally, I do not know if it is true or untrue.

To say the "... floor is such that no matter what kind of support you put under it won't allow for camping off the truck then this is a cheaply built camper and of no practical use." is making several assumptions. If you think it through, it is a very abstract comment, open to much debate and personal preference.

Wayne

Posted By: D&SBarnes on 01/01/11 10:55am

Choice of words can make or break a discussion.

It is not all that unheard of in the TC industry to have claims made not to enter or use a TC while only supported on the jacks. The problem is people don't tend to use common sense and the warnings tend to be all encompassing to make them idiot proof.

While a TC in general might be very secure when lowered all the way down to the very bottom amount of allowable height on the jacks, it won't be when raised up in the opposite direction. Sure fire way to get some idiot to try to use it that way, is to say without limitation that using it while being supported on the jacks is fine. There is a reason why CYA is always adopted, because the idiots tend to believe it is always someone else's fault and take things to court.

On the other end of the spectrum, how many dealers are there out there that you trust to be fully knowledgeable about their products and always do the most practical and safe methods of displaying their products? Keep in mind these also are the same people that say its fine for that slideout equipped unit on a 3/4 ton truck. They don't even bother with looking at the actual trucks specs because it might impinge on a sale.

People can do pretty silly stuff when given the opportunity. It also brings to mind the old adage about "well if little johnny did such and such, I suppose you would have to do it too"

One person managing to do a particular thing without incident is not a guarantee of its wisdom,
and even when commonsense is adopted it is no guarantee of a particular outcome.

Rock crawling with a jeep is a perfect example. One guy makes it and the next manages to roll off the cliff.

Wisdom is making up your mind and evaluating the situation not solely by what happened to others, but how it might work for you and your equipment while considering the experiences of others.

When you climb into a jack supported TC, does it move around? If you have a car on jackstands and it moves a bit, do you still crawl under it?
Ain't rocket science folks.

Posted By: Popkorn on 01/01/11 02:10pm

This may not mean anything to anyone here and I do not wish to lead another member into the dark side, but I have my BF lowered till it's about 10 or 12 inches off the ground. I've been working in/on/around it for several months now in a variety of wind and weather and haven't noticed any unsability - maby a shivver in a high wind but never any thing that caused me to wory about tiping.

What's my point...IMHO get your camper as low as you can reasonably lower it and don't worry any more. The jacks which are that compressed inside the white part are about as ridged as you can make them. If you're going to be sleeping in the over hang carry padded "T" strut with you

Print  |  Close