|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire inflation problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
AyJay

South Eastern MA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/05/03 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi;
check out Harbor Freight P/N 30502

Ayjay

AyJay (ARS W1GDJ)
1979 RTS Bus Conversion
DD 8V71TA, Allison V730
2007 Saturn Aura Toad
USAF Retired 1972
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather, peaceably, in his sleep.
NOT like his passengers who went screaming and yelling!

Inside Bus Pictures

Lone Eagle

Tremonton, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/03 09:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is real nice to have a Sears 5HP compressor in the garage. Later! Lone Eagle

2002 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Juice 4.61 with MBRP 4" Exhaust
Racor Secondary Fuel Filter
ISSPRO Pyro & Boost Gauges
2002 Wildcat 27RL with
LT245X75X16 BFGs
B&W Turnover Ball

tonyd

Largo, FL 33770-4553

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/03 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my compressor at home and the valve/gauge/tire filler (as the link below photo) plus a flexible fitting for the outer dual tire valve - this works for me.

(copy/paste link below to your address bar - go to photos[emoticon]

http://home.att.net/~plans/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Tony
Largo, FL.
tonyd@gibraltarcorp.com

ccchuck

The Shoals, AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/03 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there was discussion earlier of valve extensions from Camping World that would not leak- a new design that prevented access except when outside pressure was applied, I plan to consider them next time around. I currently have valve extentions (old type) that I have been using for years, so far without problems. I do check my tires often, and I do have a truck grade 12v air compressor I got at Sam's club. I use all this with a class c so my tires are not as large as the class A guys.

RVing since '74..

HotVidMan

Broomall, PA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/03 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh boy, is this one ever close to my heart!!

Just went through this a week ago on a trip! Tried a TON of service stations and even so called TRUCK stops! Even the Flying "J" had one of those pay a quarter, junk pumps! No where I went had enough pressure or the right end on the hose. But wait, let me take you back to a year or two ago first . . .

Started out with the air valve extention way of doing things. Seemed like a great answer. They were hard to put on due to the hard to reach inner tire stem, but finally got them on there. I put them on nice and secure, or so it seemed! What happened next was that one of them either came loose or had hit something on the highway. All I know is that the extention was cut in half deflating the tire and as I went down the highway it was flapping back and forth so much that it actually BEAT a hole in the inside tire! It was not far from doing the same to the outside tire when I found it. Two tires SHOT by one of those!

I was then told by a LOT of RVers and Tire shops alike that those things are the worst thing to do to your tires! I will never put them on again.

Well back to last week. After trying to find a pump on the road that would work, I finally gave up and bought one in WalMart. It is an AC pump, as the DC ones were not powerful enough and had those stupid "Clip On" style ends. I bought a pump that said it would go up to 100psi, however it didn't really do that. I returned it and got one that said it would go to 120psi. It didn't go that high either. Actually, I was looking for one that would make it to the 100psi and figured that I would make it with the over kill. The 120psi could be "forced" to go to the 100psi by bleeding it a few times after it stopped filling the tire. I got the 30 foot hose, the double extention chuck and an extention cord and plugged into the outside outlet with the generator running. Now you see why WalMart likes to let us camp there! I gave them a good amount of cash that night, as is the norm when I am there!

I still had a hard time getting those inner tires filled, but was lucky I had a nephew along that never did any body building and could get his thin arm inside the two tires. We finaly were able to get the tires up to speed! I plan to take a grinder on my drill and grind out the hole in the chrome wheel covers (not the actual wheel) to make it so that I can get my hand into that opening. I find trying to get air into the tires to be one of the toughest jobs on the RV. It is better now that I have the right pump and no longer depend on finding one on the road. This pump fits into the basement compartment just fine and I feel a lot better.

What are the tire pressures that all of you are using? I have another nephew that has spent his life working for major trucking companies like Penske in their tire departments and he said that my 1990 33' Pace Arrow should be set to 100psi on each tire. The shop where I had bought them said 85 would be fine, but that was not taking into account the GVW at all. Just what they felt was a good safe pressure. My nephew did the math and said 100 would be best.

Jim
HotVidMan@aol.com

Jim
HotVidMan@aol.com

DaveMac

Citrus Heights, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/03 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geez, what a bunch of masochists! Have rigid metal valve extenders, securely tightened with pliers -- never a problem and can inflate with wheel covers on. Have a 12 V. pump with clamp on valve hose (can't get a face full of rubber that way), HD 12 V. extension cord. Set pressure on pump and it shuts off at 82 psi while I check the pressure on the other wheels. Sure it takes about 10 minutes to pump a tire, but I can do it anywhere without the genset running.
Way to go!!

2007 FIESTA LX
TRITON V-10 & JEEP LIBERTY TOAD
3 TIMES RETIRED
CH. 13 "BLACKJACK"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tire inflation problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.