|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report Wy, S Dakota, Neb and more. Lots of pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Xpd77

Southern IN

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics. Thanks for the trip report. Where are Stockade and Sylvan lakes? I can't find them on the map.

2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/10 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stockade Lake is 3 miles east of Custer, SD on US 16 just at the entrance to Custer State Park, and Sylvan Lake is about 6 miles north of Custer on SD 89.

Or, to get to Stockade Lake, go east past my brother-in-law's rock Shop, Scott's Rock Shop, then wave at Boot Hill Estates on the left that used to be an Old West Fort recreation and rodeo grounds where I ran around as a kid. Take a look to your right up the hill to President's campground where I crashed my radio flyer at least a dozen times. Holler "Hey" to Herb as you crest the hill, stop for coffee, breakfast or a burger at the Wagon Wheel campground. Another couple hundred yards and you'll see Custer Lutheran Church on your left, and Stockade Lake on your right. If you pull in at the stockade, stretch your legs and look around. Sadly the original fort pretty much disintegrated, but another replica was erected in its place. Continue down the gravel road (make sure you get a Park sticker, as you're inside Custer State Park now) until the first rock outcropping that sticks into the lake. Get out your fishing poles, bait up with salmon eggs and pull in some nice rainbows here. Continue around the dirt road or back to the highway and continue east to the campground and boat ramp, and continue around the south side of the lake for a scenic loop around the lake. If you drive down Lower French Creek road there are some spots open for fly fishing.

For Sylvan Lake, from Custer, 1/4 mile east on US 16, then north on Sylvan Lake Road. Check out Camp Welikeit - a newer campground that looks pretty nice. Check out Dave's bison a mile further up the road, and he probably has a yard full of turkeys, too. At Sylvan Lake, check out the Lodge, take a hike down Sunday Gulch, maybe even all the way up to Harney Peak. Continue around the Needles Highway and then ...

man, sorry, I tend to run off at the fingers about the Black Hills, since I grew up in Custer.

forgot to add - at Sylvan Lake, look north on the rocks, imagine Nicholas Cage on that rock ... check out "National Treasure II" [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

mattydmax

Parker, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughters are 5 and 2. Hoping that they still want to spend time with dear old dad at the age of your daughter. Good trip report.

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/10 01:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for sharing your photos Steve. Pity the trip had to be cut short, but as you said, in this economic climate - a man's got to do what a man's got to do!

Loved the pictures. Those locations are on my to-do list for some point in the future.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

pa traveler

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/10 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really nice pictures,like the trail riding shots. Its nice to see some trip reports,helps break up this winter down time.

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/10 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Xpd77 wrote:

Great pics. Thanks for the trip report. Where are Stockade and Sylvan lakes? I can't find them on the map.

The tourist booklet for Custer State Park has a great map, Im sure you can get one by mail from SD Tourism, also when researching I found the same map on the net. The campgrounds for both lakes are part of Custer SP as far as I know. The cost was in the mid 20's per day. With electric and water. The CGs were quiet but if you dont like campfire smoke, which I dont , then hope for a favorable wind. There are a large number of attractions in a relativly small area, within 1/2 drive of each other. Custer SP itself, the wildlife loop (bison are very impressive), Needles Hwy (TCs might not fit through the tunnels) , Iron Mountain Rd is very impressive, with some amazing engenering details like the pigtail bridges, and many views of Mt Rushmore, and equally if not more impressive natural views, Iron Mt is totally TC friendly.
As mentioned , Harney Peak , accessable from Sylvan Lake , was the best hike of the trip. I have one picture of the trail, the drop with the rails built into the rock. It took about 2 1/2 hours and with the rail system helping with safty , very doable. I forget how much, but the elevation change on the trail is incredable. I think its SD highest point.
Mt Rushmore was moving and did not dissappoint.
An hour to the south of Custer is Wind Cave Nat Park, which shouldnt be passed over if your in the area.
Devils Tower is 4-6 hours to the west, Badlands Nat Park is a few hours to the east. I really wish I had more time to spend there.
Yes I do realise the Dakotas are mor midwest than west , I really wanted to see the Rockies, we were so close. The Custer area had so much to offer, so close together.
I actually got the idea to visit the area via a post on RVnet asking advice. At that time all I knew iis I would be driving out to St Louis. So thanks to those who suggested Custer.

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/10 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice looking trip report nycsteve. Actually, a really great tour. Thanks...

eornomp@msn.com

The frozen tundra known as WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/10 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love these kinds of posts. Especially this time of year when I'm "snow bound". Thanks for posting.

Jay and Peggy Monroe
Pine River WI
(central)
2011 American Revolution LE 42W
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 'toad'
One more house to sell, one more of us to retire

gvgeode

Grass Valley, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/10 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics, thanks for the info on what looks like a great trip. Hope you get to finish your next trip more leisurely.

2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

Harleybullet

Holbrook, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/10 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve

We have done a similar trip by TC and motorcycle from NY. In fact we had to takes a double take because the guy on the motorc ycle could have been from one of my photos. Good job...thanks

Dave LI NY

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trip Report Wy, S Dakota, Neb and more. Lots of pics
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.