|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 166  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We headed over to our local pharmacy to pick up refills. The pharmacy tech handling the transactions wore gloves and a mask, but otherwise everything was calm.

Over to the local grocery store, which had a full parking lot, but that's pretty small -- not many people actually inside the store. Got some eggs, oatmeal, and Mom's lactose-free milk (sshhh, don't tell the big city folks that we have eggs and milk!). Didn't even go down the paper products aisle -- don't need anything, but as I passed by, it looked bare. Definitely not totally panic stricken here: the wine and beer aisle was fully stocked, and the liquor store was open but not real busy.

We're going to stay close to home for a couple weeks now. There are still so many tourists and city folk coming out to their vacation homes that the virus could sneak in here any second now. Since we're old and have an even older mom here, that's not a risk our family doctor wants us to take. Not like we don't have plenty to do around here, and with acreage, we can just close the gate and putter around outside quite safely.

WLToo believes Czarny was the guilty party who climbed into one of our planters and made a big pile of dirt over that newly planted row of seeds... I'm not so certain -- we do have raccoons, and he did leave an open access into the garden that a coon could have gotten through.

Big thunderstorm on the way, so I'll log off now. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny and Rudy, cat brothers extraordinaire
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep-same here. We have milk, bread, eggs and booze in the stores. No tp, one package of paper towels. The store started putting beer and wine on the shelves that used to have the tp. I think they're trying to lighten the mood. Saw a lot of out of state cars in our Walmart parking lot. Someone said they rolled into town to do a tp grab so they can scalp customers. If that's what they're doing then that's just wrong.

Glad to hear the fur-boys are okay and that your sister found what she wanted and quickly too. I'd say it couldn't have been planned better.

Two more planks to do. I stopped at 1830. Will put in the last two tomorrow. I'm getting too old for this.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a deck and most of the arbor, and part of the staircase frame. Standing on the new deck, we can see an area across the lake we could not see before. Cool.

Rudy flatly refused to walk around on the new deck -- he really, really does not like change. At the moment, he's laying against me, needing the contact. Czarny was walking along the railing, jumping up and down from rail to deck, and generally enjoying the new wood. Rudy probably won't get out onto the new deck until I sit in a chair there. Not this evening, though, more clouds coming in.

Went over to the library to pick up a stack of books for Mom. Had to reserve online, then go pick them up. Staff would pull the books and place on a table outside when I called that I was in the parking lot. While I waited on the books, I took photos of the library's bluebonnets. They are really beautiful there. Even folks who aren't coming for books pulled into the parking lot so they could wander amongst the bluebonnets.

We're well situated, so not too concerned about the virus, as long as we stay here. Since we think we landed in Paradise with this property, it's no inconvenience being home.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deck Day 1
[image]

Deck Day 2
[image]

Deck Day 3
[image]

[image]

Deck Day 4
[image]

New and last year's deck construction
[image]

A new view from the new deck
[image]

And the normal view, but from the new deck
[image]

It's a BIG deck...

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!! Beautiful place to shelter in place.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a fantastic sanctuary there. You're pretty blessed. Rudy reminds me of a relative of mine. He doesn't like change either.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After several days of much needed rain (and fog), the deck guys are finishing the stairs. Once they're done, we'll move back outside. Perhaps in a few days, Rudy will join us on the new deck. I do wonder how long it will be before they start to use the staircase, as he and Czarny have never seen stairs.

Saturday, we helped Sister pack her house, in preparation for moving on 4 April. Mom called her IL apartments' front desk, to see if she could come over and get more clothes. They said no visitors, so we can't do it, and if she shows up, she'll have to stay. Now she's all worried about what will happen if we can't move her stuff out in April. Truly, though, she's happiest when she's worried about something, and that's fairly harmless to worry over, so we're just rolling with it.

Luckily, Sister has plenty of beds and furniture to go ahead and move Mom in when Sister moves into the new place. Meanwhile, we're jury rigging a computer setup for her, with an old wide-screen TV, Mom's old CPU, a spare keyboard and mouse, and an old base station to relay to the house cable modem. Just waiting on a particular cable to be delivered on Wednesday.

It's quiet out here. Real quiet. The weekenders are staying at home, and the vacation home owners were asked to not come out here, as we don't have the big city medical infrastructure if they bring the virus with them. We also don't want them cleaning out the little grocery stores we have here, either.

Last week, Spousal Unit needed a few 2x4s to finish the ramp so Mom can stay in the FW. He got the last six in stock. Ace Hardware folks said there was a run on building materials. I guess all us locals are planning on DIY projects while staying home...

Leoghaire and her last two fawns were down in the meadow a couple days ago. They will be leery (pun intended) of the new deck for a while, I expect. She didn't look terribly pregnant, but her mom never gave birth until around Memorial Day, so if she's following that pattern and carrying only one fawn, she wouldn't be too bulgy right now. We'll see.

Czarny is going nuts, trying to catch a barn swallow. Hard to do it from inside the house, though...

I hear the washer singing. Time to put the laundry in the dryer. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear that April 4th is magic day. Funny how some are happiest when they're worried. You should video the boys first encounter of the stair kind.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far, Rudy has ventured almost halfway across the new deck. He's nowhere near the stairs yet. I totally missed Czarny's first encounter -- saw him yesterday, trotting up the stairs like he'd been using them all his life.

Gorgeous day, with a wind strong enough that neither cat wants to be outside. The breeze is helping lower the humidity, but it's still pretty muggy out there.

We got estimates for professional deck stain/seal and will make that decision tomorrow. How long it actually takes the company to finish will depend entirely upon Mother Nature and her tendency to hit us with spring rains. Until then, though, we'll enjoy sitting out there and maybe grilling something.

Had to take Short Friend to a medical procedure yesterday. Since it was so early in the morning, I decided to go over to the nearby Costco and take advantage of the seniors' only time. As I went inside, an employee stood by pallets of toilet paper. He didn't offer it so much as just load it on my cart, so I took it, even though it wasn't on my shopping list. If someone near me needs it, we'll share.

The seniors were all polite and kept our distance. When ready for checkout, there was one line, with tape on the floor to show how far apart we should stay. When we got to the front, an employee would direct us to the next available cashier, where another two lines kept the two customers separated. When it was our turn, we pushed the carts to the cart side. They scanned everything inside the cart - nothing went on the conveyer belt. A plastic shield protected the cashier from customers. As soon as I used my debit card in the reader, another employee immediately cleaned the reader for the next customer. Very well done.

While I was still shopping, the time came for others to come inside. As soon as the "not seniors" came into the store, they were "get outta my way or I'll run you down" aggressive, not keeping a distance, and being pains in the backside. They were outraged to find out certain items had customer limits, and those were programmed into the system so they could not bull their way through; I could hear them screaming in those aisles. I'm glad I checked out before they had to stand in the six-feet behind each other line...

Anyway, Short Friend's procedure went very well and she went home to sleep the rest of the day.

Mom has noticed that Leoghaire, her yearling and her two-year-old come to the south porch about the same time every day. So Mom tries to be at the door to watch them, and they're getting used to seeing her though the door and windows. They still have not come around to the north side since the deck was finished. Guess getting used to that will take a spell longer.

Our hummingbirds have arrived. We put out one feeder for the two who live here. The big migration hasn't arrived yet. When it does, we'll put all the feeders out, but on the arbor. It's taller so we won't hit the feeders with our heads, and they'll still be in view.

Got up real early and breakfast has long passed. Need some lunch. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's getting mean out there. We're glad you get to go to the senior hours. We go every chance we can to avoid the crazy angry going on. From what you describe Costco is doing a better job of cleaning their equipment than some emergency rooms I've been to.

"Let's be careful out there". Esterhaus.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 166  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.