|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 189  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope for all the best for Harley. We just returned from an Alabama trip. Went to Mobile and made like real tourists. Visited the USS Alabama and the National Maritime Museum for the Gulf. Of course we had to go to Dauphin Street (the real birthplace of Mardi Gras) and ate at Mudbugs. Nice.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harley went to her new home and new name yesterday. The lady emailed a few hours later that Harley had talked to her most of the way home, expressing her disdain at being in a carrier. As soon as Lady opened the carrier, Harley strolled out and began thoroughly and cautiously exploring. By email time, Harley was sitting on the bed, looking out the windows.

I think they'll get on famously, as soon as Harley decides it's home.

Meanwhile, Czarny keeps going back into the spare bedroom, looking for her. The house feels different with only one cat in residence, but the atmosphere is decidedly quieter. Last night, Spousal Unit moved back into our bedroom and pronounced me a much nicer bedmate, since I don't play mousie under the covers with his big toe.

A huge kettle of black-headed vultures is circling down below our property. My guess is another deer got hit on the road. The vultures eat very well here...

Czarny is demanding some closer, personal kitty time. Later, y'all.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're seeing a lot of dead badgers and possum on the roads. Glad Harley is happy to have her own human.

One of our old cats died 3 weeks ago just a few days before we left on our AL roadtrip. He went to sleep and never awakened. We found him on the bathroom rug. At 20 I guess it was Major Domo's time. From his first day in the household he took over the other cats and dogs even though he was only a 3 month old kitten. That's the reason for his name. Bossiest cat we've ever had and a great traveling companion. He preferred to stay in the rv while we would be out. It was strange going to AL without him.
Rainbow Bridge: Major Domo joins 23 other beloved furballs.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/22 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first trip is coming up in April. Czarny went with us last year; it was his first RV trip. He'll be going with us this year, too. Hopefully, the trip will be less stressful than his first visit to the kitty hoosgau last August, since it will just be us and him, and he'll have done this exact trip once before.

Major Domo sounds like quite the cat. Good traveling cats like him and Spotacus are relatively rare. We keep hoping Czarny will adapt; we'll see this year, as we have several RV trips planned.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to be an interesting spring for Czarny. One RV trip and he'll go on that. Two other non-RV trips and he'll stay home with the housesitter.

Several bucks visited yesterday. One was still a spike, one had full antlers (six point), and one had lost half his antlers (three point now).

Foggy today, as in we can't see but about 100 yards, and it's getting thicker. Good thing we don't need to go anywhere.

Couldn't sleep last night; it was way too hot. A morning nap is sounding real attractive right now.

Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/22 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Czarney is in full possession of the household now. I expect he'll take over the mh as well. Major Domo was quite a cat to be sure. No one messed with him. I think he was one of those once-in-a-lifetime cats. I hope we can find another like him but perhaps not. Lightning strikes .....

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winter has been throwing tantrums. Leaves, then stomps back in with "and another thing!" Hopefully, this weekend's tantrum will be the end for this season. Today was nice enough that I got all my wool blend sweaters washed and dried in the sun, just in time to wear them again. Sigh.

Even with the diesel prices being insane, we'll still take our trips. We'll just revise the budget. 'Course, we will not be stinting Czarny on any of his foods or treats. He'd never let us live it down...

Walked down the driveway to get the paper shortly after dark. On the way back, a deer jumped up from where it was laying between the driveway and the fence and ran away. Never heard or saw it going down the drive, and didn't hear it get there between the time we went down and came back up. Interesting.

I've heard hummingbirds are back in the area, although we've not seen any yet. I'll be putting out the feeder this weekend, just in case.

Got word today that a short story I submitted was accepted for an anthology that will be published in June. A second short story is underway for another anthology. I'm finding that writing short stories is easier than an entire novel, not to mention I can range through all kinds of genre. Having fun.

With the cold arriving in the morning, though, we'll just spend the day in front of the fire, reading (in my case crocheting) and petting the cat on demand.

Y'all stay safe out there. Later.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early this morning, the movement light between house and garage came on. A raccoon was walking along the rock facade on the garage, stopping to sniff whatever he encountered along the way. Well, being up to watch him also told me I was too hot to stay in bed, so Czarny and I got up before sunrise. He's been in and out several times already, and is now napping. I'm seriously considering a nap myself.

We'll plant the vegetables this week. Also clearing out some stuff in the garage we don't remember owning, which will give us a bit more room out there -- not enough to park a vehicle in there yet, but we're heading in that direction.

Spousal Unit wants to go grocery shopping. Later, y'all.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/22 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Potatoes are planted, but another cold snap has delayed planting non-tubers until later this week. Got 1.19" of much needed rain from the big storms Monday night, and all the bad stuff was northeast of us, so no damage. Sure could use a not more rain, though.

Today is sunny, but we're still in a fire danger alert, as the wind is high and the dew point way low. Czarny's outside, enjoying the sunshine. I'll go join him in a bit, when it's a touch warmer.

A large doe was laying down on the other side of our fence Monday afternoon, just before the storms hit. She listened as I chatted to her, but didn't spoil her relaxation. Very pretty, doesn't appear to be pregnant. She might decide to come visit the porch one day. Hope so; I do miss the Lassie/Leoghaire/fawns clan.

Time to remove more stuff we don't remember owning from the garage. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spring cleaning for us too. Herself and I created a family bin of items we're donating to the children who are now grown themselves. Thought of just inviting them and watching a grab bag free-for-all just for fun. Decided against it. We made a list via email and let everyone race for the most wanted items without bloodshed. We're cold and windy here too. No taters in the buckets yet. We grow ours in buckets then just empty them out to harvest. Easy peasy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 189  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.