|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 185  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/21 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leoghaire's back!!! She trotted up with her last fawn and granddaughter. Spousal Unit had just harvested the last of the carrots (a scraggly lot), so we fed them. I'm relieved. Even though Lassie's great granddaughter is here, she and her mama don't interact with us the way Lassie and Leoghaire did/do.

We switched out bedrooms. Czarny stays outside most of the time, coming in for afternoon naps in our bedroom, and overnighting with me in there. We're keeping the door closed, so Harley can range throughout the house, then sleep with Spousal Unit in the spare bedroom. She's taken up residence in the recliner Tall Friend normally occupies when they're here (still up in Maine). Being in that chair, she's close to Spousal Unit, but not right in his lap, as she is most definitely not a lap cat.

We're going to do yet another introduction, now that she's comfortable in the great room. We'll do it again and again, until Czarny finally stops trying to get close to her and just ignores her. Last intro, he tried to jump up on the recliner with her, but Spousal Unit stopped him. Harley didn't even spoil her relaxation, just stared at him (that's enormous progress right there).

We had to go somewhere this morning, but luckily, Czarny was already under the covers asleep; we were able to close him into the bedroom and let her roam. She stayed in bed, too... It's overcast, occasionally raining a little, and much, much cooler, so I guess it's good cat napping weather.

All this door closing means we now have three litter boxes and two feeding stations. Might be a bit inconvenient when company stays over; doesn't bother us, though.

We don't seem to have a lot in the way of monarch butterfly food out in the meadow this year -- or I might be a month too early for that assessment. Something just might bloom in time for the migration next month. Meanwhile, we still have hummingbirds at about the same level as normal, even though I know they are migrating.

The barn swallows left last week. I miss their gossip fests already. Czarny doesn't miss them at all; he can now go out the south door without being swooped. He's rather enjoying laying on the south porch.

Time to change out the batteries in both red dot laser toys. I want to experiment with having both cats play in the same room as part of the introduction.

Later, ya'll.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Harley, blacker cat

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good news to hear about Leoghaire. It looks like we're going to get some cold and snowy weather this winter according to the farmer almanacs. Might be another trip in the offing.

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hummingbird migration is on, and our residents are beside themselves, not wanting to share the feeder. Understand the monarch butterflies are up around Fort Worth and heading this way, so we should be seeing them very soon.

We had a cool front come through, so the last couple of days we've had the air conditioner off and the windows open. Harley is wary of the new sounds and smells, but she's showing interest in sitting on the window sills in the great room. We have a rhythm established now: Harley gets free run of the house in the daytime and Czarny goes outside. Czarny has to let us know when he wants inside, and we open the door into our bedroom, where one of his towers and his food have been relocated. At sunset, Harley goes back into her bedroom, and Czarny gets free run of the house. At bedtime, Czarny comes into the master with me, I close the door, and Harley gets free rein again. I don't know if she takes advantage in the night, since she's so quiet, but she's not causing Czarny to alert and wake me up.

Things change on Sunday, when Brother comes to visit. Harley will be bunking with him and Sister-in-Law, and Spousal Unit will be back in our bedroom with Czarny and me. They love cats, too, so all should get along nicely. That's the only planned change to the cats' rhythm.

Niece and Great Nephew are visiting, too. They're both allergic to cats, so they'll be bunking in the RV, where cat hair is at a minimum. Their medication should take care of when they are in the house.

Otherwise, things are quiet around here. Except SU is trying to bake an apple pie and can't find the cinnamon, so I must go help. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our furry family has us trained well. But they're so darn cute!

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harley was just fine bunking with Brother and SIL, but she was thrilled when Spousal Unit moved back into that room. She's now spending more time following him around the house, even playing with him a bit.

Czarny goes from door to door around the house, looking for her so he can stare at her. When he comes back into the house, he makes a bee line to the spare bedroom door, where he sniffs and sometimes lays on his back and waves his paws under the door. Doesn't say anything. Sometimes he startles her on the other side of a door and she shrieks the house down. I do not think she's ever going to like him even a little bit, but if all their eventual interaction is him looking at her and her shrieking, we can live with it.

We're having gorgeous evenings and early mornings, followed by days around 90. Bit warmer day temps than normal. Fall temps probably won't arrive until November. That's okay. The longer we don't have to turn on the heater, the better.

Meanwhile, our solar panel and battery installation will finally happen mid-month. Considering the Farmer's Almanac prediction is for another bad cold snap in Jan or Feb, this installation will be most timely. Frankly, I'm not too bothered if we lose power in the winter -- we still won't lose the food or my medication. But lose it in the hot times = really bad.

We did lose power last week, when a terrific sound and light show sat over us almost all night. No known damage to us, but about a mile away, a lightning strike on a house literally blew out some windows and set wires smoking in one bedroom. Even in the midst of all this, our local fire department still responded and ensured the house was safe.

This is what a neighbor posted. 90 seconds combined into one photo:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

It was lively...

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Just ... WOW!!!

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow is right. Beautiful picture.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (15 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 5 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had another sound and light show last night, courtesy of Hurricane Pamela. We've had over 7" of rain this week, almost all of it last night. Flash flooding all over the county, both rivers flooded, and the lake rose 1.38' overnight. We are thoroughly watered now...

Clouds finally cleared out just in time for a spectacular sunset. Tomorrow, a cold front will drop temps to lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s, then we heat back up next week. Just another typical October around here.

No change to the cat standoff. In fact, now they face each other through a window or door and meow at each other. That's probably progress, but we're not quite ready to let them be in the same room yet. We tried the technique of having both play with two red dots on opposite sides of the great room, but Harley just looked at the dot, than back up at Spousal Unit, like "Are you kidding me?" Meanwhile, Czarny was busy killing his red dot. He knows it comes from something in my hand, but he doesn't care -- he absolutely has to catch it.

Harley is still learning how to play with cat toys and milk carton rings, and learning that when we pick her up and cuddle her, it's not punishment or painful. Don't think she'll ever be a lap cat, though.

Given the supply chain difficulties, we're making all the Christmas gifts we'll be giving out this year. We should have them all in the mail long before the USPS deadline, so that'll be one less hassle for the season. Take a piece of scrap wood, plane it smooth, burn a quip on it, stain and finish, done. Will take longer to find the right quip for each person than to make 'em.

I see a cat inviting me outside. Later, y'all.

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clever present ideas. I'm just making up mason jar mixes for cooking. Some for bean soup. Some for BBQ. Herself has a book that gave me the idea for giving these out. I'm using my own recipes of course. All of our gift recipients live within 70 miles of us so we'll just give them in person. The BBQ rub will be given with a nice pork loin. The beans will be given with smoked ham hocks.

Sounds like you got more than your share of rain but I'm glad everyone is safe. The Czarny and Harley sound like opposite personalities.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we don't find the right quip, the mason jar mixes are a great backup.

Last couple of days have been autumn, and tonight the low will be 47. Then we gradually heat back up to highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. No jackets required for the Halloween trick-or-treaters. Even the swimming pool is still doable without Spousal Unit's jerry-rigged solar heating system.

The does are occasionally dashing around, and we've seen several bucks sniffing around. I just hope those bucks survive hunting season, but given the poaching around here, I'm not optimistic.

We went over to Tall and Short Friend's house today to dust, sweep up the dead bugs, and trim a crape myrtle away from the courtyard gate. They'll be home Tuesday.

There's a cat demanding my attention. Later, y'all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 185  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.