|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Finding studs behind the walls

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
woolznaz

Carefree, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any creative ways to find studs behind the walls? My stud finder does not seem to work well on trailer, or if it is working, there is absolutely NO rhyme or reason or pattern for the studs.

I've pressed in on the thin walls to feel for support behind them and that is sort of helpful in finding them. Short of drilling holes though, is there a better way to locate them? I'm hoping to install a nicer bracket that can hold a larger flat panel TV. Any suggestions for finding studs? Thank you!

2007 Starcraft Star Stream SS24QB
2006 F250 6.0 PSD - Amarillo

jeffandjodiplus3

Ft Benning, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/11 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This posting had a few good ideas on this.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24693576.cfm

* This post was edited 01/06/11 01:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

Jeff and Jodi
Mini(Tennessee Barn Dog aka Lab Mix)
Peanut(Mini Dachshund aka Weiner Dog)
2008 Pilgrim Cirrus UltraLite 29CBHSE
2009 Chevrolet Suburban

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can try asking the manufacturer for a print. NuWa has givin me prints for my trailer when I asked them.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/11 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another way is with an infrared thermometer. Works either way - just have a temperature difference between the interior & exterior. You will see a difference as you scan the surface since there is no insulation at the studs.

It is also useful for checking tire & brake temperature, etc...

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

MR MAC

South East MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/11 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When puting a handle on bath wall above tub, I used the old knock and listen, but before drilling I used a very small drill bit. If it is a mistake hole It won't show.

ROBERT L MC INTYRE

woolznaz

Carefree, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good suggestions. Thanks. So, on an INTERIOR wall (separating the dinette area from the bedroom, for example), with no exterior exposure at all, do you suppose there is any wood in there or is it all metal studs?

I'm planning on securing a new mount for a larger TV and want to make sure I get it mounted solidly and do not mess up the thin, thin, thin walls.

MTTitan

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kennedycamper wrote:

You can try asking the manufacturer for a print. NuWa has givin me prints for my trailer when I asked them.

Kudos to NuWa. When I stopped at the Fleetwood factory in LaGrande, OR for my Pioneer and asked for a schematic of the the wall studs, they said such info was proprietary and only gave me schematics of electrical and plumbing. Maybe their unhelpful attitude contributed to their demise, who knows.

Anyway, I have three different stud finders and one out of the three did find studs so I could plan on the size of a new window for my TT. And I sure like the idea of "Vermilye" for a infrared thermometer to find/or back up the location of the studs.

* This post was edited 01/06/11 05:25pm by MTTitan *

2004 Titan LE w/tow pkg
2006 Pioneer 180CK

Animal Planet

St. Croix River Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I mounted a smaller flatscreen tv in our master bedroom, I wanted to find the wall stud so that I could reinforce it with an additional piece of wood to hold the mounting bracket. I also had little success with the studfinder actually locating a stud.

I removed the cable TV coaxial wall jack cover (plastic cover), then held up a small mirror (just small enough to slide into the opening that had been revealed when I removed the cover). I then shined a flashlight onto the mirror which allowed the light to be reflected into the wall - thus revealing where the stud was. I then took a tape measure and slipped it into the wall so I could determine how far in the stud was from the edge of the wall jack. I could have certainly done this step without the flashlight and mirror trick, but I wanted to see what I was about to drill into. This helped me not only determine that it was indeed a wall stud, but it gave me a sense of how thick the wall actually was (just wanted to make sure I didn't do something really dumb with a too-long or too-short screw).

Worked great and after reinforcing the wall, I could likely hang a TV twice as large as the one I purchased on the flatscreen mounting arm.

2007 Dodge 6.7L Mega Cab CTD
2010 Open Range RT303BHS
Equalizer Hitch
Honda EU3000

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/11 02:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had any problem locating wood studs in my trailer by the push on the paneling and the use of an electronic stud finder. And yes they can be random as well as have occasional pieces of plywood between them to reinforce areas the manufacturer installs items such as folding tv shelves. Took me a while to figure out why the stud finder wasn't working when it really was.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/11 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the tap method with a hammer. Not only can you tell by the sound, but it will bounce back more if there is no stud behind where you tapped.

That said, the closed in the bathroom was behind the wall I wanted to mount my LCD on. So I drilled through both sides of the wall, put a 2x6 inside the closet to back it up and through bolted the hole thing, including the 2x6 of course.

You should see people cringe as a close the slideout. It passes by the TV with a quarter inch to spare. I don't cringe . . . I know what's backing it up.

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Finding studs behind the walls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.